Pens Now Have Zero Chance to Finish Last

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Now Have Zero Chance to Finish Last

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:57 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/ ... sports.htm

Looks like the Blues have lost Lalime for the year, so they are down to a third stringer in Reinhard Divis and a guy who was in the ECHL to start the season. For a team that had been to the playoffs 27 straight years, they've got this tanking thing down pretty good Image.

Then again, they might actually be better off without Lalime. Their major losing started when he went back in net.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:07 am

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... ht=sanford

You posted the same when Sanford got hurt earlier, It's not going to make a difference.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:14 am

If he was right then, and this is worse, then maybe it's so bad they'll start taking points away from the Blues for a loss :-)

I've felt the Blues have been purposely tanking for the last couple of weeks.

I'm just hoping they draft Kessel. I'm really not high on him. If we drop to Third I think the 'Hawks will take Johnson :( :(
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PENS HAVE ZERO CHANCE TO FINISH LAST

Postby NYPensFan on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 am

Maybe the Pens should not take the top pick this year - it would only add another first or second draft salary for a player that we may not need. If there is a chance to trade the pick for a seasoned player does anyone think this would be a good idea.
NYPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: PENS HAVE ZERO CHANCE TO FINISH LAST

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:03 pm

NYPensFan wrote:Maybe the Pens should not take the top pick this year - it would only add another first or second draft salary for a player that we may not need. If there is a chance to trade the pick for a seasoned player does anyone think this would be a good idea.

Right that $900K cap is really going to hurt us :roll: This isn't like the NFL where top pipcks kill your cap. Crosby is making $850K plus bonuses.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:09 pm

NYPensFan wrote:Maybe the Pens should not take the top pick this year - it would only add another first or second draft salary for a player that we may not need. If there is a chance to trade the pick for a seasoned player does anyone think this would be a good idea.

I really do not understand this form of thinking. Why would you not want a star player because you don't want the burden of salary 8 years down the road.... or for any reason for that matter.

This is like turning down a new Ferarri because you only have one parking space at your house. Nonsense.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:12 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:

I really do not understand this form of thinking. Why would you not want a star player because you don't want the burden of salary 8 years down the road.... or for any reason for that matter.

This is like turning down a new Ferarri because you only have one parking space at your house. Nonsense.

I think it would be closer to 3 years down the road, no? Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is a first overall pick, he's the real deal, so he'll make a big impact early and often...big money after his rookie deal...correct me if I'm wrong
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

that is a good thing.

Postby Scott on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Losing sucks. Period. Ridiculous to be bothered that someone else is going to finish last overall.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: that is a good thing.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:11 pm

Scott wrote:Losing sucks. Period. Ridiculous to be bothered that someone else is going to finish last overall.

Scott, we're talking eight games in a season when you're already one of the worst teams in the league.

The difference between picks two and three this year will probably be a player who can get you significantly more than eight wins over the next X number of years.

I'd prefer the Pens traded the pick for a top defenseman or a LW with a great shot. The first pick overall will get you better quality than the third.

On top of that, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Blues and Hawks both intend to grab Johnson. I want to have the best chance of picking ahead of them.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: that is a good thing.

Postby Fast B on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Scott wrote:Losing sucks. Period. Ridiculous to be bothered that someone else is going to finish last overall.

You know, a month ago or so I might have agreed with you. Ask me in October or November, and I'd definitely agree.

But now? There are, what, nine games left? Even if they won every remaining game the Pens might only finish in 14th place in the East, or 27th/28th overall. At this point, frankly, it doesn't matter anymore if the team wins. The team is going to finish with one of the worst records in the league, and realistically only the top 2 or 3 picks this year might be so-called "can't-miss" prospects.

From a fan's perspective, it doesn't make sense at this point to win a couple more meaningless games if it costs us another potential star player. Now should the players try to throw games? Of course not. Am I rooting for the team to lose? Hell no. But at the same time, I'm not going to lose any sleep if they do keep losing.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens Now Have Zero Chance to Finish Last

Postby Ginger on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Then again, they might actually be better off without Lalime. Their major losing started when he went back in net.

Y' know what? IMO, they'd be way better off with Beckford-Tseu. This guy has been the Wranglers nemesis all freaking year! He played with the Alaska Aces who were vying for top spot in the ECHL along with the Wranglers & I'm surprised Beckford-Tseu is still in the ECHL. I would have thought at the very least he'd move up to AHL. Maybe the Blues have a bunch of goalies in the wings?

Greg's been following him a bit too, because he also played for the Kingston Frontenacs in the Ontario league. This guy is big & fast; something you don't see together too often.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm

Ginger wrote:I'm surprised Beckford-Tseu is still in the ECHL. I would have thought at the very least he'd move up to AHL.

Actually, he was in the AHL at the time of his recall.

13 games, 3.17 GAA, .882 save percentage.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Actually, he was in the AHL at the time of his recall.

13 games, 3.17 GAA, .882 save percentage.

That makes more sense then. This might (should) be his break through then if he plays like he did against us. He was a bit streaky but could steal a game, or series of games easily.
That can make for an interesting playoffs. :shock:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins