Why does Colby, Ruutu, Christiansen and even Roberts

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why does Colby, Ruutu, Christiansen and even Roberts

Postby owtahear on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:37 pm

sit.....while Rex (who somehow luckily whiffed and scored a goal last night) never sits?

What is the deal here?
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Why does Colby, Ruutu, Christiansen and even Roberts

Postby BurghThing on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:38 pm

owtahear wrote:sit.....while Rex (who somehow luckily whiffed and scored a goal last night) never sits?

What is the deal here?

Better yet, why do they sit while Staal continues to play?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:41 pm

BurghThing wrote:
owtahear wrote:sit.....while Rex (who somehow luckily whiffed and scored a goal last night) never sits?

What is the deal here?

Probably because of Staal's value as a penalty killer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby conforto45 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

What is the deal here?

Probably because of Staal's value as a penalty killer.

Colby is one of our better PKers though too and he sat
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:00 pm

none of the players mentioned in this thread have done anythign to deserve any amount of significant playing itime. Ruutu, Armstrong, Recchi, Roberts, and Christensen have all been lousy and I have no problem with any of them sitting.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Soccerman77 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:03 pm

I still don't understand the love Armstrong gets here. I still cringe when I think about people wanting him on the top line.
Soccerman77

Postby conforto45 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Soccerman77 wrote:I still don't understand the love Armstrong gets here. I still cringe when I think about people wanting him on the top line.

hes not a top line player, but when he is used right he can be a very valuable asset to the team

last year when it was Malone, Talbot and Armstrong, that was one of the best 3rd lines in the league. Army can score. Hes proven that.. He has also proven that he isnt going to score 30 goals and 30 assists. He is a very good skater and can play the physical part of the game. He, Malone and Talbot was GREAT and would love to see that combination again
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Soccerman77 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:08 pm

He isn't that physical at all. He threw two big checks last year, outside of that he was very passive in the hitting department.

I still miss the checking like of Moore-Thorburn-Ruutu
Soccerman77

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Soccerman77 wrote:I still don't understand the love Armstrong gets here. I still cringe when I think about people wanting him on the top line.

When he Talbot, and Scuderi are out there on a 3 on 5 PK, they give us the best chance of note giving up a goal.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Seriously, leave Staal alone.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:Seriously, leave Staal alone.

... or else!!

Ruutu should have dressed last night, than him Avery could have gone at it instead of Avery agitating out star players. Staal should be scratched a game, I don't think he has ever seen a game from the press box. It might do wonders for the kid. Recchi will never be a healthy scratched IMO.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ushockeyteam1980 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 pm

meow wrote:

... or else!!

Ruutu should have dressed last night, than him Avery could have gone at it instead of Avery agitating out star players. Staal should be scratched a game, I don't think he has ever seen a game from the press box. It might do wonders for the kid. Recchi will never be a healthy scratched IMO.

Jordan got scratched once last year. I believe it was towards the end of November or in early December, if I'm not mistaken. It was after he had been sick and just wasn't playing up to his full potential because he wasn't feeling 100%, so Therrien scratched him.
ushockeyteam1980

Postby conforto45 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:00 pm

LEAVE JORDAN STAAL ALONE!!! AFTER ALL HE'S BEEN THROUGH.. HES BEEN THROUGH JAILHOUSE. HE HAS 3 BROTHERS AND WORKED ON A SODFARM...

yeah.. that kinda reminded me of the Chris Crocker/ Britney Spears thing..
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Staal is not an offensive #2 center. A super duper smart genius even #3 center. Or a #2 winger. MT is nuts for making him center the second line.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wm0712 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:06 pm

staal deserves to sit just as much as anyone else... i really dont understand the difference between if he was the 2nd line center or the 3rd line center... he's still gotta go out and perform no matter what line he's on... he loses the puck almost everytime he touches it... he is playing horribly right now!!! people ask about the love for colby right now? how about the love for staal when he has 1 goal, 1 goal!!!! and it was pretty lucky... i'd rather have colby out there right now than staal... heck, i'd rather have EC out there than staal... EC played well last night and actually has a chance to score, staal doesnt right now
wm0712
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins