Bob Smizik, aka Bozo the columnist, is pure scum

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bob Smizik, aka Bozo the columnist, is pure scum

Postby cs6687 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:12 am

cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Reilly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:25 am

bsmizik@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1468.

you guys know what to do. :D
Reilly

Postby letsgopens87 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:29 am

How junior high. Grow up, Bob.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:34 am

Meh. Smizik has been irrelevant for a while.

I only skimmed the article, but glancing at the top of it, I really hope that he didn't compare George Washington with Franco Harris.

Edit: looking at it more. wow.

In any event, all of this is a non-story. Harris IS supporting the best plan for himself, and it's his right to look out for himself. It's Madden's opinion that he isn't supporting the best plan for the city (an opinion that I share), and Madden is carrying out his opinions in his usual way. That's half the reason he gets ratings.

Anyways, this kind of garbage is typical. Madden and Smizik haven't liked each other for a while, whether they are passive aggressive about it or not. Smizik's best option would be to ignore Madden, because he is just going to give him exactly what he wants. Attention, which = ratings for Madden, which is his original goal.

It's nice that he throws in some yinzerism and hero worship as well in the newest installment of carry out private conflicts in the newspaper. :roll:
Last edited by MrKnowNothing on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Reilly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 am

Here's what I sent in an e-mail

"Dear Bob,

Stop hiding behind The Post-Gazette and actually go on Mark's radio show and confront him if you have a problem with what he says. "
Reilly

Postby Rico Fata Is My Daddy on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:16 am

that right there sums up why mark madden is the best thing on radio. The man knows how to get all the yinzers fired up.

smize is an old bastage who stays up late at night touching himself to the 1979 buccos highlight tape.

theres no such things as bad publicity btw.
Rico Fata Is My Daddy

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:16 am

Guilt by association.

The people who back Madden are already Pens fans, and therefore mostly behind the IoC plan.

Smiziks column does the most damage by being accessable to 'fence sitters'.

It taints the IoC proposal by associating it with Madden.

Madden uses 'Shock Jock' tactics to attract a specific market segment, the only time ethics, character, and honor come into play on his show is when he can use them against a local sports figure by twisting the facts to support his ratings, thus lining *his* pocket.

Unforunately, anyone with even the slightist intelligence can see through this gambit and is turned off to the underlying issue by his antics.

It's a shame, because the IoC plan stands on it's own merits and can only be undermined by Maddens crude antics.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:47 am

This is what happens when you take Madden seriously. Smizik really should'nt bother himself with promoting a guy he disapproves of because that's how you increase his popularity. Of course, maybe he is trying to attract readers who don't eat prunes for breakfast? Guess it worked because I NEVER look for anything Smizik writes unless it gets a rise out of this board and is posted here.

Bottom line is, Madden is a kidder. He is harsh and pasionate, but underneath that he is just kidding. I think it's funny as hell when he calls Harris a no-good judas that took Seattle silver inexchange for his soul :lol: , in fact it makes me laugh just repeating it. Like most people who can operate a radio and the internets (<<<<thanks Mr. President) we know humor when we hear it. This just shows how old and out of touch Smizik is, but hey Mr. Smizik, once again, thanks for pointing out the obvious. We can all stop laughing now. :shock:
NIN

Postby Zscout on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:09 am

I think the article points out a great point.
A local example of a fine citizen (and legend), Franco Harris, is being defamed by the local idiot.
Madden should be able to support the IoC plan, without personally attacking those who do not. Madden should be able to attack the plan, not the planners. He is taking the debate to a place it does not belong to go.
That is the weakness of the license process. In the end their will be a winner and losers.
With Madden acting the way he is, the end process is just a lose-lose situation. After the license is awarded, regardless who wins, several local individuals will have been slandered viciously, and constantly and left with damaged reputations.
I applaud Smizik for calling Madden out on this, and I would expect anyone, with a shred of decency, to do the same.
Zscout

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:43 am

Zscout wrote:I think the article points out a great point.
A local example of a fine citizen (and legend), Franco Harris, is being defamed by the local idiot.

Local Idiot? YES! Absolutely!

Harris a an example of fine citizenship? Please, spare me.

Franco was a great athlete who gave this city many proud moments, he also has, in the past, advanced the causes of such fine organizations as Big Brothers and Sisters etc... But on this issue, he's just going for a money grab.

This issue stands to have the biggest impact on Pittsburghs economic fortunes since David Lawerances Rennasaince - Forget about the Pens.

Harris is doing Pittsburgh a great dis-service. Madden isn't helping matters by using Junior high tactics to raise his profile and increase his arbitron numbers.

The whole things leaves me with a horrible taste in my mouth.

While I wish IoC would be a little more aggresive, I have nothing but respect for IoC, the pens, and Mario on this issue. They have maintained honor and dignity in the face of lies and politial backstabbing.

I hope that their effort to take the 'high road' works, if for no other reason than it's Karmic value.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Thank you, Bob Smizik!

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:46 am

Thank you, Bob Smizik!

Although Smizik is just stating the obvious, a lot of people just don't get it. Madden's statements are not only untrue, it's the kind of talk that makes civil society less civil. It's unfortunate that so many people not only tolerate, but encourage, Madden's sort of behavior.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 am

Madden can't expect to have any personal credibility with the kinds of attacks he makes. I stopped listening to him years ago, but from reading these posts it sounds like nothing has changed. In fact, he sounds like a desperate soul who is going further and further out on the fringes. When a pathetic figure like him is publicly associated with something, like Capri, it hurts much more than it helps, but his ego refuses to let him see this.

I suspect Madden realizes in his heart of hearts that he's been marginalized and is no longer taken seriously as a media member, and these sort of attacks reflect a desperate attempt to make himself more important in this matter, when it fact his credibility is long gone.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:52 am

What a waste of newspaper space. There has to be something more interesting to write about.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:55 am

The problem is that a fairly significant porion of the market actually *likes* his style. This includes quite a number of LGP posters.

The segment that enjoys his style, if you can call it that, are mosly 18-35 males. I guess they identify with his "me against society, anti-establishment" approach.

Eventually most will outgrow him, but unfortunately, he'll always have a 'core' market that he can count on to listen while he makes an idiot out of himself.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

there's always the buccos

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:26 am

pfim wrote:What a waste of newspaper space. There has to be something more interesting to write about.

the pirates bullpen :?:

MM did the worst of his Franco rantings during a post-game
penguin show last wednesday.

In this article, he states it is the PG position & his own to support the
isle of capri.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: there's always the buccos

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:48 am

penny lane wrote:
isle of capri.

Yet I can't find one article where he gave support to the IoC bid. Hmmm.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:15 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
penny lane wrote:
isle of capri.

Check the archives, he wrote a whole article on the support of the IOC.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06053/659034-194.stm

Everyone called him an idiot before reading the article because he stated the slots license should be whats best for the city.

Yet he says the IOC is best for the city and supports it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 am

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
penny lane wrote:
isle of capri.

Everyone called him an idiot before reading the article because he stated the slots license should be whats best for the city.

Yes, we discussed this already

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... .php?t=800

But Smizik is NOT supporting the IoC bid in that article, and he's openly hostile to the Pens for not wanting to contribute $$. (Why should they? IoC is volunteering to privately fund the entire cost!)

Read the the whole article, he says the best plan should win, not that IoC is the best plan.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:35 am

He wrote back! :lol:

------------------------------

I do not call writing a column in a widely circulated daily newspaper as ``hiding.'' -- Bob Smizik

PS: The Post-Gazette's circulation is at least 10 times larger than Madden's audience. That's not hiding.
Reilly

Postby Pops16 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:40 am

Smizek is, and always shall be, first and foremost, and ass. His columns border on ridiculous. BTW, I've never heard Madden try to turn his teamates on Harris. He always attacks Harris himself. Right there I'm suspicious about Harris drumming up sympathy.

Anyone know what social causes Harris has been involved in? Always thought he was a bit off the radar for the past few decades.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BacklashJack on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:41 am

I agree with the article 100%. I dislike what Smizek says a lot and do think he is out-dated, but not in this case. Madden panders to the LCD and is more style than substance. He is a hockey fan and knows the league, I've never heard any evidence he actually knows the game in any great depth. Stan has more class in his pinky than Madden does in his whole body, and contrary to what some think, is just as great a proponent of the Penguins.
BacklashJack

Postby Pops16 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:50 am

BacklashJack wrote:I agree with the article 100%. I dislike what Smizek says a lot and do think he is out-dated, but not in this case. Madden panders to the LCD and is more style than substance. He is a hockey fan and knows the league, I've never heard any evidence he actually knows the game in any great depth. Stan has more class in his pinky than Madden does in his whole body, and contrary to what some think, is just as great a proponent of the Penguins.

Madden is entertaining to listen to...especially when he ripped Harris post game. But I agree, his hockey knowledge sometimes is off, but he does keep the subject in the spotlight...and he does call a spade a spade.

I wonder who in this town would know most about the sport?
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BacklashJack on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:55 am

Pops16 wrote:
BacklashJack wrote:I agree with the article 100%. I dislike what Smizek says a lot and do think he is out-dated, but not in this case. Madden panders to the LCD and is more style than substance. He is a hockey fan and knows the league, I've never heard any evidence he actually knows the game in any great depth. Stan has more class in his pinky than Madden does in his whole body, and contrary to what some think, is just as great a proponent of the Penguins.

Madden is entertaining to listen to...especially when he ripped Harris post game. But I agree, his hockey knowledge sometimes is off, but he does keep the subject in the spotlight...and he does call a spade a spade.

I wonder who in this town would know most about the sport?

I don't know which sports show host actually knows the game, but the majority of the fans don't either, so it's a moot point. I imagine the average baseball fan is more aware of a given situation in baseball than the average hockey fan mainly because so many more people played baseball. You hear people calling in talking about more specific baseball or football topics that relate to the game itself but never for hockey. The talk early in the year about nobody seeing a system in place is most obvious. Most people couldn't hold a 10 second conversation on systems anyway but you had the average fan parroting what they heard others saying about it.
BacklashJack

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:57 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
penny lane wrote:
isle of capri.

Yes, we discussed this already

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... .php?t=800

But Smizik is NOT supporting the IoC bid in that article, and he's openly hostile to the Pens for not wanting to contribute $$. (Why should they? IoC is volunteering to privately fund the entire cost!)

Read the the whole article, he says the best plan should win, not that IoC is the best plan.

He is not openly hostile about the Pens paying for an arena. In fact, he is saying what everyone and the Pens are saying here everyday, why should they pony up when they have a new arena. He is basically stating that the Pens won't pony up because they have someone paying for it. You should read the whole article.

I guess this is two totally different views being taken from the same article. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Smizik.

In fact, I think all three of us have the same stance in the end, let's just get a new arena and keep the Pens in the burgh.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:10 am

newarenanow wrote:
He is not openly hostile about the Pens paying for an arena. In fact, he is saying what everyone and the Pens are saying here everyday, why should they pony up when they have a new arena. He is basically stating that the Pens won't pony up because they have someone paying for it. You should read the whole article.

Did you miss this Bob Smizik quote from that article? "It's understandable the Penguins don't want to put up any of their own money. That doesn't make it right."

newarenanow wrote:I guess this is two totally different views being taken from the same article. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Smizik.

In fact, I think all three of us have the same stance in the end, let's just get a new arena and keep the Pens in the burgh.

I think all three of us agree that we want the Pens to stay in Pittsburgh, how that happens though is a different subject all together.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins