FC and the Gov

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:21 am

Draftnik wrote:The Pens have moved from their own goal line in December to 1st and goal in less than 4 months and fans are still b*tching. People need to step back and appreciate how this process has moved infinitely further ahead in the last 4 months than it did in the previous 5 years.

Drafnik, not to diminish the very valid points that you're making, but to use your own analogy, you don't get points for getting into the 'Red Zone'. You get points for getting the ball into the 'end zone'.

Let's hope this process doesn't fumble on the one yard line.

Hartford is the latest city to make a pitch for the Pens.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 41081.html

These cities aren't throwing money down a rabbit hole... they're doing it because they think they can offer the Pens a better deal than what Pittsburghs offering.

Also in this article, the Pens are so enamored by Plan 'B' they've spent money to hire Allen and Comapny to broker their sale.

Draftnik, all due respect, but don't make the mistake of underestimating your opponents.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:38 am

As has been said before, this is a chess match, or a high-stakes poker game, if you prefer. Both sides are still working to position themselves. The Pens say this, FC says that. Etc Etc. Everything that happens has to be judged within that context.

The Pens no doubt prefer to stay in town. If they leave town, they'd only do so for a deal that is much much better than a local one. Hartford is a secondary market, and even if the Pens played in the building rent free, and controlled most revenue streams, they'd still be no better than equal to what is being offered here right now, I'd venture.

Lemieux, in particular, will want to make sure the team stays here if at all possible. Looking elsewhere with a broker will just put more pressure on FC to commit, at the very least.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:27 am

Draftnik wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I don't think the sky is falling either, but if the other applicants do not commit, there won't be a deal. There is not enough "other" financing to match that $7.5M. It will end up coming from taxes from the people some how, some way, and even if it is the RAD tax or parking, the people of pittsburgh won't stand for it.

I do think things are going in the right direction, and I am not saying other applicants won't commit, I'm just saying I won't believe it until it is in writing, which right now, it is not.

I wish I was as optimistic as you Draftnik, but until it is signed and sealed, I will be on my heels.

Hopefully in about a year, we can all be sitting on this board talking about how the Pens will be here forever (at least the majority of our lifetime).

Onorato has been on various local radio stations indicating he has verbal commitments from FC/Harrah's and Barden. He and O'Connor also have intimated that they will use all their zoning powers (building permits, sewage, a zillion other things) to leverage FC/Harrah's to participate in funding the arena.

I'm not some naive optimist about this drama. Politicians are self serving like the Pens, Harrah's, IoC, Franco Harris, etc. Nobody is in this for altruistic reasons. 3 prominent politicians have spent significant political capital to promise the Pens will stay in Pittsburgh. Rendell made this a campaign issue with his Plan B and he will look like an absolute idiot and cost himself votes if he doesn't finish the deal. This will get done. Bob Grove recounted Moorehouse's objections in his latest newsletter at pp.com. None of the issues are deal breakers.

I also think Pens fans don't understand that KC is not offering a sweetheart deal, nor is Houston, Portland, Vegas, Winnipeg.... There is not a single other city out there that can offer the Pens 100% control of all revenue streams. There isn't a single other city that can offer the Pens $10M in annual RSN fees.

The Pens have moved from their own goal line in December to 1st and goal in less than 4 months and fans are still b*tching. People need to step back and appreciate how this process has moved infinitely further ahead in the last 4 months than it did in the previous 5 years.

Never said I was b*tching. Just saying the way the process is going, I won't believe it until it is in writing. I hope you are right. We both want the same thing, the Pens to stay. I'm just a pessimist.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:20 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Draftnik wrote:The Pens have moved from their own goal line in December to 1st and goal in less than 4 months and fans are still b*tching. People need to step back and appreciate how this process has moved infinitely further ahead in the last 4 months than it did in the previous 5 years.

Drafnik, not to diminish the very valid points that you're making, but to use your own analogy, you don't get points for getting into the 'Red Zone'. You get points for getting the ball into the 'end zone'.

Let's hope this process doesn't fumble on the one yard line.

Hartford is the latest city to make a pitch for the Pens.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 41081.html

These cities aren't throwing money down a rabbit hole... they're doing it because they think they can offer the Pens a better deal than what Pittsburghs offering.

Also in this article, the Pens are so enamored by Plan 'B' they've spent money to hire Allen and Comapny to broker their sale.

Draftnik, all due respect, but don't make the mistake of underestimating your opponents.

Hartford is a joke. They are infinitely further away from a new arena than Pittsburgh. There was an article in the Currant yesterday where that joker with a long name said he would put up $25M and then ask the legislature for another $250M. Good luck. There is no plan in the works for an arena and after the Rensalier (sp?) (uCon's FB stadium) fiasco, Connecticut has no appetite for publicly funded sports venues.

Hiring a broker for the sale is standard operating procedure. It has nothing to do with Plan B. Lemieux and Co were not going to sell the team without a broker. Prospective buyers will also have their own broker. This is standard operating procedure in all sports franchise sales. Lemieux never was going to make an emotional decision to dump the team no matter how frustrated he is with this process.

Show me the better deals. Show me another city that is offering the Pens 100% of all arena revenues. Show me another city that is in the top 5 of per capita hockey ratings in the US and can offer the Pens a $10M per annum RSN contract.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins