Sid gets Madden's respect

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sid gets Madden's respect

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 am

John Madden's respect that is:
http://post-gazette.com/pg/06096/679869-61.stm

Nice to see a player from another team NOT talking only about his constant whining. Which IS a problem. But, heck, he's 18.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 am

-- "He's along the [Peter] Forsberg line, where he can do it a couple of different ways. Other guys just rely on their power play or speed or something like that." --

Is he suggesting that someone else is rather one dimentional?

-- "He's aggressive. He backchecks. He does everything really well. A guy like that, you have to watch him all night long. You can't just watch him in certain situations." --

Is he suggesting that someone else is just a highlight reel type player but not necessarily a good full-game player?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:33 am

Nope.

Is he suggesting that someone else is just a highlight reel type player but not necessarily a good full-game player?

No.

:D
NIN

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 am

Grrr... We will have to agree to disagree, lol.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Sid gets Madden's respect

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:01 am

Gaucho wrote:John Madden's respect that is:
http://post-gazette.com/pg/06096/679869-61.stm

Nice to see a player from another team NOT talking only about his constant whining. Which IS a problem. But, heck, he's 18.

while Madden gets the benefit of the call from the refs... :wink:

what people call whining now will be good veteran leadership in 5 years.
~age does matter
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:24 am

Jim wrote:-- "He's along the [Peter] Forsberg line, where he can do it a couple of different ways. Other guys just rely on their power play or speed or something like that." --

Of course he is. To think there are no players like this is naive. But unlike Bozo up in Ottawa, he didn't say, "the other rookie." Not even sure he was implying it about AO. But he could be. Sid hasn't been benched for too-long shifts or hanging at center ice.

Jim wrote:-- "He's aggressive. He backchecks. He does everything really well. A guy like that, you have to watch him all night long. You can't just watch him in certain situations." --

Again, not mentioning "the other rookie" or anything...
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:36 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
Jim wrote:-- "He's along the [Peter] Forsberg line, where he can do it a couple of different ways. Other guys just rely on their power play or speed or something like that." --

Of course he is. To think there are no players like this is naive. But unlike Bozo up in Ottawa, he didn't say, "the other rookie." Not even sure he was implying it about AO. But he could be. Sid hasn't been benched for too-long shifts or hanging at center ice.

Jim wrote:-- "He's aggressive. He backchecks. He does everything really well. A guy like that, you have to watch him all night long. You can't just watch him in certain situations." --

Again, not mentioning "the other rookie" or anything...

if I mat chime in again. I think you guys are really reaching here.

"Other guys just rely on their power play or speed or something like that."

I think that means exactly what it says. He is refferring to about 30 different top forwards in the league because he has faced them all. Only Forsberg and a few others can beat you anyway but Crosby (IMHO) is even better than Forsberg because he can beat you with speed too. Not mentioning Ovechkin or Kovalchuk just makes the compliment even greater because there are alot of good players in the league besides those 2.
NIN

Postby Defence21 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:04 pm

The more I read after Devils games, the more I respect the players in that organization. Unlike some Flyers, Senators, Thrashers, etc, the Devils have had nothing but compliments for the Penguins as individuals and as a team. That takes class.

Even though I hate their brand of hockey, I certainly hope the Penguins' young players mature into the types of people/players some of the Devils are. Brodeur and Madden definitely come to mind.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Defence21 wrote:The more I read after Devils games, the more I respect the players in that organization. Unlike some Flyers, Senators, Thrashers, etc, the Devils have had nothing but compliments for the Penguins as individuals and as a team. That takes class.

Even though I hate their brand of hockey, I certainly hope the Penguins' young players mature into the types of people/players some of the Devils are. Brodeur and Madden definitely come to mind.

Lest we forget, this is the same John Madden that pulled a bush league move on Lemieux in the latter stages of an already-decided game by calling for the puck by shouting "Ace!" If the game was still in doubt, I would not have had a problem with it, but when you pull something like that when a game has already been decided it's bush. IIRC, 66 gave him a nice two-hander for his trouble.

Maybe Madden has matured since then...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins