Next Seasons Coaches

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Next Seasons Coaches

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:26 am

I think Therrian should hire 2 more coaches next season and delicate some more responsibilites away from him and Yeo so they can focus on being motivators and tacticians.

1. A goalie coach. They need to find a very expensive goalie coach, going on the cheap here would be a huge mistake. They need to make sure Fleury is retaining all he has learned from his experiance this season, that way he will remain consistant.

2. Defenceman coach. There is alot of potential on that blueline but only if they are trained to do the things that the system demands of them ALOT BETTER.

Most importantly, they need to get the forawrds and goalies on the same page with them too. Nobody is going to get any better until they can traust each other out there. Of course completely retooling the chemistry of the lineup has undone that season after season but going into next season we have Therrian and he knows better.
NIN

Re: Next Seasons Coaches

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:32 am

NIN wrote:1. A goalie coach. They need to find a very expensive goalie coach, going on the cheap here would be a huge mistake. They need to make sure Fleury is retaining all he has learned from his experiance this season, that way he will remain consistant.

Ken Wregget lives in the area. He was a competent goalie and seemed to have a great personality. The only down side is that he was a stand up (as were most goalies of that time) so it might not be a smooth transition.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:39 am

Jim wrote:
NIN wrote:1. A goalie coach. They need to find a very expensive goalie coach, going on the cheap here would be a huge mistake. They need to make sure Fleury is retaining all he has learned from his experiance this season, that way he will remain consistant.

Ken Wregget lives in the area. He was a competent goalie and seemed to have a great personality. The only down side is that he was a stand up (as were most goalies of that time) so it might not be a smooth transition.

Of course I will always like Wregget for the way he played for us but I dont think you want to go local. They need to find some french guy in like Montreal who has a world reknown goalie school somewhere and throw like 400K at him for several months of work with all of the goalies. Then make him available at the drop of a hat all next season.

Maybe Crosby's dad would be a good coach??

J/K

or am I?? :?
NIN

Postby freq019 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:53 am

I think Yeo is the defensive coach so if you hired two more do you move him away from his area of expertise? Or do you bring in a forward coach and leave Mike Yeo where he is coaching the D? I agree a goaltending coach would be nice maybe a new GM will bring one in?
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 am

NIN wrote:1. A goalie coach.

Gilles Lefebvre ("Goaltending Consultant") was promoted along with Therrien and Yeo.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:03 am

Admin wrote:
NIN wrote:1. A goalie coach.

Gilles Lefebvre ("Goaltending Consultant").

i hope he's not getting paid.
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby BJL on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:25 pm

Lefebvre works with them during the whole practice... at least the ones that were public, anyway. If he sees something bad he stops the shooters and goes over to Fleury or Caron and talks to them then they resume.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:51 pm

Jim wrote:

What's Barrasso doing these days? He was a very good goaltender in his prime, and if Fleury stops improving or goofs off in practice, Tom can break his legs for him. That way even Bob Errey is happy. Sounds like a win-win to me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins