Hilbert

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hilbert

Postby mario magic on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:15 pm

Anybody else think this guy was a steal. He seems to have good hockey insticts and plays smart. He and crosby seem to have fit together nicely. I for one think the guy can be a productive player for many years.
mario magic

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:34 pm

tsn.ca has his potential as a top six winger... I don't know to good about that, but he ould definately be a 3rd line, chip in here and there, quality player.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jani Rita

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:17 pm

mario magic wrote:Anybody else think this guy was a steal. He seems to have good hockey insticts and plays smart. He and crosby seem to have fit together nicely. I for one think the guy can be a productive player for many years.

Andy Hilbert looks to be a keep; lord knows they need anyone
that shows they can score goals. :lol:

I also think that Jani Rita is worth keeping; I swear I heard
pens announcers say Rita is the best condition penguin. :?:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pmh118 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:18 pm

I love him. He has pretty good speed, hands, and he goes to the net. And not only does he have a good shot, he actually uses it.
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Keep him

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Keep Hilbert,he is surely second liner,third at most. Pretty good waiver pick...
Im not so sure about Rita,he doesnt score enough to be top 3 lines player.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 pm

I think the only value Hilbert has to this club as a third-liner is if the team is able to roll three lines that can all score with some regularity. I'm afraid his value decreases if he's asked to play a traditional third-line role.

His game is more well-rounded than Ouellet's, but I still think he needs to be playing on a scoring line to be an asset to the club. If the Pens go out and bring in two quality wingers next year to put alongside Crosby and Malkin, Hilbert's value to the club could go down...with one exception....

If this club is somehow configured next year to roll three balanced lines that are capable of scoring, he would be a significant asset as a winger on one of those lines. Some players just don't hold their value if they're asked to play third or fourth-line duty and I think Hilbert might be one of those players (probably the reason why he couldn't crack the lineup in Boston).
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby conforto45 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:57 pm

hilbert has shown that he can play w/ our best guys(that isnt saying a whole lot), but for what we have, he can be a top 2 line player on our team. He goes to the net, has a decent shot and good speed.

we could always get another person like Endicott, who had "supposed potential", but all we have seen was a waste of a roster spot and about $2000 in good equipment
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Hilbert

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:59 pm

mario magic wrote:Anybody else think this guy was a steal.

People said the same thing about Lasse Pirijeta last season.
Reilly

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:00 pm

Reilly wrote:

:roll:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby puckeye on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Reilly wrote:

getting a bag of pucks for Holzinger could be considered a steal
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Hilbert can kill penalties fairly well, so he isn't a total waste of space.
jmh70

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:26 pm

He reminds me of a 90's era Devils forward, not many big names but they all could play. He seems to be a keeper to me because he looks like one of those guys you could plug in almost anywhere.
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:27 pm

Hilbert does have a good shot and would be a guy that could collect goals given a talented center...it depends on if we are willing to take a chance on sticking him on a top line next year. It can't hurt to try it out right? Jani Rita is a talented guy too, they should certainly both be kept around. The thing about Hilbert, is that he reminds me a little of me when I play hockey, he tries to deke his way out of situation that he has no business dekeing out of...I guess he might as well practice now, these will be some of the least meaningful games of his career. And based on some posts that I've seen lately...does no one like Ouellet? I think he's a pretty talented goal scorer and the only thing he really seems to lack his physicality and strength (pretty big things) but still, this guy could be a big time goal scorer in this league, no? I was looking at least second line for him next year, without thinking of free agency.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Oulette appears to be turning Morozov on the Pens. No goals in how long now?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:45 pm

His last goal was on March 11th according to Yahoo.

That's 11 and counting.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 pm

Pitts wrote:Oulette appears to be turning Morozov on the Pens. No goals in how long now?

I remember earlier in the season when he had like 10 in his first 8 games or something and people were sayiong how he'll be a 40+ goal guy on the top line with Sid. Those were the days.
Reilly

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:20 pm

netwolf wrote:His last goal was on March 11th according to Yahoo.

That's 11 and counting.

I thought I heard 14. Oh well...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:21 pm

Oulette appears to be a very streaky player. He started off last year with WBS on a hot streak leading the league in goals and then hardly scored at all the rest of the year. (I can't remember the exact stats).

Looks like a repeat with the Pens.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:Oulette appears to be turning Morozov on the Pens. No goals in how long now?

I remember earlier in the season when he had like 10 in his first 8 games or something and people were sayiong how he'll be a 40+ goal guy on the top line with Sid. Those were the days.

I don't get how they can start out so hot and cool off so dramatically. I know there's some adrenalin there on that first call-up, but to completely cool off?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:48 am

I see him as one of those Gems that CP picks off waivers that ends up being something for a little while (Lang, Tarnstrom, etc). I wouldn't expect him to do a Lang... but he appears like he was a good pickup.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:52 am

jmh70 wrote:Hilbert can kill penalties fairly well, so he isn't a total waste of space.

and he'll squeek out a goal now and then
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 pm

Reilly wrote:

:roll:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 pm

Ouellete got that knee injury a month or two ago, and he really just hasn't been the same since. Still think he could have a good future though.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins