Let's give ourselves a hand . . .

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Let's give ourselves a hand . . .

Postby Jasmine on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:41 pm

because if it weren't for John Steigerwald, Mark Madden (say what you want about him) and us Pens fans making our voices heard, Ed Rendell wouldn't know we exist here in Western PA! He thought the Harrah's/FC plan would slide through without anyone even noticing. If he had been in touch at ALL with this side of the state, he would have known better. Ed, CAN YOU HEAR US NOW?!!!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:53 pm

It sounds kinda gay but Penguin fans love their team and NOBODY is going to take them away without some say so. Having said that, we needed those media members (add Savran to alesser extent among others) to do what they did so we would all come together in sync. That is still happening today but I personnally think the war is won if they sign the backup. Knowing Randells history and his suddenly zealous hands on appraoch to keeping the team here, I beleive the fix is on. IOC is the best plan available IMO but it WILL NOT WIN BECASUE IT IS FIXED....PERIOD. Randeel has come crawling in defeat with a fair backup plan and if the Pens find that it is a solid plan and sign it - I pray they do - then we have won and the team stays.
NIN

Postby Guido on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 pm

the 'fair' backup plan???? You mean the plan B which has FC donating yearly to a new arena out of slots revenue? yea, FC isn't going to do that and Rendell can't make them.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:15 pm

Here, here!!! I applaud all who have made an issue out of this, even media members that i'm not fond of. But our work is not done. April 18,and 19 WE MUST KICK SOME HUMONGOUS ARSE. Call off work, be there in force. I don't hear a fat lady singing just yet. We must show the gaming board a reflection of what's been going on. You know Big Biz Forest City will bring in the hired guns. We gotta bring our hearts, and show these people that their dirty money is no good here.
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 pm

I feel like a 60's hippie :D
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:23 pm

25+66+22=#1 wrote:
Here, here!!! I applaud all who have made an issue out of this, even media members that i'm not fond of. But our work is not done. April 18,and 19 WE MUST KICK SOME HUMONGOUS ARSE. Call off work, be there in force. I don't hear a fat lady singing just yet. We must show the gaming board a reflection of what's been going on. You know Big Biz Forest City will bring in the hired guns. We gotta bring our hearts, and show these people that their dirty money is no good here.

You are sooooooooooo right! I have my day off scheduled! See you there!!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Guido wrote:the 'fair' backup plan???? You mean the plan B which has FC donating yearly to a new arena out of slots revenue? yea, FC isn't going to do that and Rendell can't make them.

I dont care if they take 100 dollars/year directly out of my salary. I want the team to stay. DO YOU?
NIN

Postby Jasmine on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:32 pm

NIN wrote:
I dont care if they take 100 dollars/year directly out of my salary. I want the team to stay. DO YOU?

Of course I want the Pens to stay! The beauty of this is I don't have to because the Isle of Capri is offering to build a new arena for FREE! That's the whole point. Dan Onorato and Mayor O'Connor SHOULD be doing cartwheels over this offer. WHY should ANYTHING else even be considered? I'm still waiting for someone to explain that to me. :?:
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Jasmine wrote:NIN wrote:

Of course I want the Pens to stay! The beauty of this is I don't have to because the Isle of Capri is offering to build a new arena for FREE! That's the whole point. Dan Onorato and Mayor O'Connor SHOULD be doing cartwheels over this offer. WHY should ANYTHING else even be considered? I'm still waiting for someone to explain that to me. :?:

ITS FIXED. What part of ITS FIXED dont you people understand. Wasnt that the battle cry for like 3 whole months? Govenor "pigbreath" this mayor "poopcycle" that. I mean, it is still fixed right? YES! So guess what that means? It means WE LOSE. However, we have managed to esculate things to the point where now they are being threatened to lose the election over this, they have been pressured to come up with a doable backup plan, a REAL one this time.

Do you really think voting for Swann is going to change the fix? Or speaking out for IOC? Don't you think they thought of that already? It's over, take the backup plan, pray IOC wins, and when they lose LLOK SMART and feel good about the fact that we at LEAST get to keep our hockey team and get a new arena. Thats all the Pens ever wanted from the start and it is a crying shame that it has to come to this but trust me, if a plan that is SO OBVIOUSLY better then any other plan isnt being supported by Slippery Ed and his Demobrats, it's fixed. Its either plan B or no team. Take your pick.
NIN

Postby Jasmine on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:10 pm

NIN, you have a bad attitude. This country is still a democracy and I expect my voice (and others) not only to be heard, but for us to win this fight! And it IS a fight . . . against greed and corruption and FIXES and pigs in governors' clothing. My voice will be heard and my vote will count. Appathy has caused this situation. Appathy was what these crooks were counting on. I think we can win this battle if we keep pressing the issue! And, yes, I plan to vote any crooks out of office! That can be done, too!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Jasmine wrote:NIN, you have a bad attitude. This country is still a democracy and I expect my voice (and others) not only to be heard, but for us to win this fight! And it IS a fight . . . against greed and corruption and FIXES and pigs in governors' clothing. My voice will be heard and my vote will count. Appathy has caused this situation. Appathy was what these crooks were counting on. I think we can win this battle if we keep pressing the issue! And, yes, I plan to vote any crooks out of office! That can be done, too!

Wait wait wait. Why do I have the bad attitude? Why would mayor Tom Murphy go out of his way to say it's fixed if it wasn't? Why would Madden constantly say "the fix is in, the fix is in". How else are we suppose to feel? What positive attitude caould I possibly have when these things are being said AND there is overwelming evidence to support it!!!

Im sorry but it's plan B or goodbye Pens.
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:35 pm

NIN wrote:
Jasmine wrote:NIN, you have a bad attitude. This country is still a democracy and I expect my voice (and others) not only to be heard, but for us to win this fight! And it IS a fight . . . against greed and corruption and FIXES and pigs in governors' clothing. My voice will be heard and my vote will count. Appathy has caused this situation. Appathy was what these crooks were counting on. I think we can win this battle if we keep pressing the issue! And, yes, I plan to vote any crooks out of office! That can be done, too!

Wait wait wait. Why do I have the bad attitude? Why would mayor Tom Murphy go out of his way to say it's fixed if it wasn't? Why would Madden constantly say "the fix is in, the fix is in". How else are we suppose to feel? What positive attitude caould I possibly have when these things are being said AND there is overwelming evidence to support it!!!

Im sorry but it's plan B or goodbye Pens.

Madden saying "the fix is in" has no relevance. I wouldn't use him for a trustworthy source on anything. I love his passion for the Pens, but as far as being credible.....no.

I think Plan B is what its going to come down to as well, but I don't think IOC is as dead in the water as everyone thinks.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:39 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Madden saying "the fix is in" has no relevance. I wouldn't use him for a trustworthy source on anything. I love his passion for the Pens, but as far as being credible.....no.

I think Plan B is what its going to come down to as well, but I don't think IOC is as dead in the water as everyone thinks.

Actually Madden is on the Penguins payroll, it isnt just "passion", it's deneiro. Either he is saying that because he has an inside source or he is saying it because the Penguins paid him too. Either way, arent we as Penguin fans suppose to trust him? I would sooner trust a 2-dollar whore but it sure beats the alternative....trusting a politician named Ed Randell (shuddering).

It's plan B or bust, and bust means the Penguins know they will get more money outside of the city. They arent as noble as we are meant to belive, but next to Randell and these other elected slackers they trully ARE saint worthy.
NIN

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:29 pm

If it really comes down to plan B, I think the Pens are gone. I don't trust Rendell as far as you can throw him, and I haven't really seen any indication whatsoever from him that he cares or is serious about keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

He told the Pens a long time ago that there was no money for them, so they responded to him by continually following quotes he made about how they could be able to stay. Now they have followed what he has essentially told them will keep them here, and he changes his actions on the entire thing? And some money magically has fallen out of the sky so a plan can be done?

No. Screw Rendell. It's Isle of Capri or bust for this Pens fan.
MrKnowNothing

Re: Let's give ourselves a hand . . .clap/clap

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:15 am

Jasmine wrote:because if it weren't for John Steigerwald, Mark Madden (say what you want about him) and us Pens fans making our voices heard, Ed Rendell wouldn't know we exist here in Western PA! He thought the Harrah's/FC plan would slide through without anyone even noticing. If he had been in touch at ALL with this side of the state, he would have known better. Ed, CAN YOU HEAR US NOW?!!!

I'm not feeling giddy yet with relief that the pens are staying; only when I
see Iceburgh with a shovel will I believe it is happening.
But, like you I want to thank of all people, the former mayor, tom murphy
who I heard the word "fix" first. then John Steigerwald kept mentioning
to follow the $$$ . Mark Madden brought it to the radio waves and Stan S
followed. With awareness you then have to translate that into action or it means nothing.
so thanks to the group who put the first penguin rally together; small but it got TV coverage.
Thanks to all of us who turned out on a rainy/cold
saturday noon rally at the arena. First sight of politicos
supporting IoC.
Crowd not overwhelming but passionate.
A big homerun to fans chanting at the steeler victory rally at Fast Eddie;
got him to shut-up and scared him back to philly.
on april 18th, have to work but also want to see if I can get it to hear and
see. maybe pens will have it broadcast...streaming audio?
After the arena gets done or while it is being built have to make sure
pens gets a good owner... Penguin fans; never are we allowed to feel totally secure about the team for long.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

And then there are people that still don't get it ....

Postby sj? on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:44 am

From Q & A in the PG :

http://www.pittsburghpg.com/pg/06097/680013-125.stm

"Does it bother anyone beside me that, in lieu of reasonable taxes on citizens who can pay for it, the method of paying for a new arena is to take advantage of the people who can least afford to spend their money: the old folks, the poorer folks, the people who don't have much but are willing to bet it all on that one shot to get themselves out of the rut? I think the entire culture of using gambling to pay for civic improvements is misguided."

:roll: We're forcing poor & old people to gamble so we can get a new arena !!!! YEAH ..Go PENS !!
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: And then there are people that still don't get it ....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:56 am

sj? wrote:From Q & A in the PG :

"Does it bother anyone beside me that, in lieu of reasonable taxes on citizens who can pay for it, the method of paying for a new arena is to take advantage of the people who can least afford to spend their money: the old folks, the poorer folks, the people who don't have much but are willing to bet it all on that one shot to get themselves out of the rut? I think the entire culture of using gambling to pay for civic improvements is misguided."

:roll: We're forcing poor & old people to gamble so we can get a new arena !!!! YEAH ..Go PENS !!

It's that typical Left-Wing Liberal ideal that says we have to take care of people because they can't take care of themselves.

What ever happened to people being responsible for their own destiny?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: And then there are people that still don't get it ....

Postby rasbatch on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:41 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
sj? wrote:From Q & A in the PG :

It's that typical Left-Wing Liberal ideal that says we have to take care of people because they can't take care of themselves.

What ever happened to people being responsible for their own destiny?

Sorry EPP but that's a load of whooy, it was an american thing to take care of the old and the poor. But now it's looked upon as stupid, where the ideal is to be greedy. I guess we should just leave the old, infirm, or the mentally ill just wonder off in the woods to die, when they can't be resposible for their own destiny whatever that means. Civilizations are judged by how you treat the least among you. I may be a liberal left-wing piece of crap, but my parents taught me to respect and take care of old folks and to help those that have less than you do. I've never been given any solid reasons to change that notion.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:45 am

NIN wrote:
Guido wrote:the 'fair' backup plan???? You mean the plan B which has FC donating yearly to a new arena out of slots revenue? yea, FC isn't going to do that and Rendell can't make them.

i'd sell my soul to anyone who could make a difference
Super Slovak Surovy

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins