IF Malkin came, how much $$ should he get?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

IF Malkin came, how much $$ should he get?

Postby FuturePens on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Obviously it's all about the $ $ today, and if Malkin does come, he'd come because of the money he'd get here compare to in Russia...

I'd say offer him 2.5 Million. I'am not sure how much he makes at home, but surely not more than 2.5 Million. That should at least encourage him to come over here...

Your thoughts.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:16 pm

Isn't there a maximum salary for first year NHL players? Around 800-900k?
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:02 pm

He can only make the rookie cap. He will come over here because he wants to play with and prove himself against the best in the world.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:07 pm

I guess...but don't the Penguins have to pay his club a ton of money to release him from the contract ?
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 pm

That is unknown. Normally, that would be governed by the IIHF transfer agreement, but right now Russia is not part of that. Word is that the NHL has told it's clubs they are not allowed to negotiate directly with Russian clubs.

It is possible Malkin's Russian team could just let him out of his contract, but the chances of that are also unknown.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 pm

wondermoose wrote:Isn't there a maximum salary for first year NHL players? Around 800-900k?

Yes that's one of the sticking points in this. There has been talk that his current bosses will throw so much money at him, that it would be hard for him to refuse it. I believe he currently makes more in Russia than he would make here next year. Of course i'm sure he realizes that eventually the NHL will be his cash cow. The money issue in this scenario is how much is it going to cost the Pens if a new transfer agreement is in place? And if not whether the NHL will let them negotiate directly with Magnitogorsk? If they somehow do were talking big time$$$
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens87 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 pm

He will come over here because he wants to play with and prove himself against the best in the world.

Or he could decide that he wants to stay loyal to his Russian team and try to lead them to a championship next year...but we won't think of that ;)
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:19 pm

I believe $850,000 is the cap, and that's on a 3 year entry level deal, if I'm not mistaken. But factor in a one time "stealing from Russia" fee and it could cost a couple million on top of that. I think based on the success of AO that Malkin might want to prove himself and further represent his country over here. Maybe I don't have psychology down, but he can speed a long the rebuilding process quickly I believe and rise to prominence in the NHL, as a Crosby/Malkn dynamic duo (although on different lines most likely) whatever, now I'm just rambling...go pens!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:42 pm

letsgopens87 wrote:
He will come over here because he wants to play with and prove himself against the best in the world.

Or he could decide that he wants to stay loyal to his Russian team and try to lead them to a championship next year...but we won't think of that ;)

Malkin has said as much himself.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:03 am

FuturePens wrote:I guess...but don't the Penguins have to pay his club a ton of money to release him from the contract ?

If you listen to Stan Savran, yeah the pens have to buy him out if they want him immediately...

but who knows exactly
Super Slovak Surovy

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins