SI player poll on Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SI player poll on Crosby

Postby MWB on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:51 pm

Question: Will Penguins rookie center Sidney Crosby end up being one of the 10 best players all time?

No - 49.5%
Yes - 40.5%
Don't know - 10%

Among players 25 and younger, 50% said yes. Which I suppose supports that older players don't hold younger players in as high a regard generally speaking.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:52 pm

WOW. Was that voted on by all the NHL players?
NIN

Postby MWB on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 pm

346 NHL players.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby letsgopens87 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:02 pm

Choices were probably based on his reputation, not actual skill
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:03 pm

MWB wrote:346 NHL players.

Then let me say it again. WOW. Considering Crosby's somewhat tarnished reputation around the league I would guess that about half of the nay sayers actually beleive HE WILL become one of the 10 best ever.

That is extremely high praise. I think so to but comming from a fan it doesnt matter. When NHL players get together and 40% of them say something that grand about a guy. WOW.
NIN

Postby Ginger on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:35 pm

NIN wrote:
MWB wrote:346 NHL players.

Considering Crosby's somewhat tarnished reputation around the league I would guess that about half of the nay sayers actually beleive HE WILL become one of the 10 best ever.

That is extremely high praise. I think so to but comming from a fan it doesnt matter. When NHL players get together and 40% of them say something that grand about a guy. WOW.

They would set the 'reputation' aside & look at him purely from a player to player standpoint. He will be in the top ten I would think whether he learns to take the bumps quietly or whether he hollers about them for the rest of his career, he's still going to be among the leagues best.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:54 pm

Let's put it in perspective - 5000 players have played in the NHL - so if 40% of current NHL players think that Crosby will be better then at least 4990 of them, well that's saying something....

Let's go Pens...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Part of this is his reputation coming out as being so great, and part is how he's played. Yes, there have been many that have questioned his maturity, but has anyone actually questioned his talent? I don't think I've heard one negative thing about how he plays, which is all that really matters.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 pm

I don't get why everyone gets so bent out of shape if Crosby doesn't get top marks across the board in everything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 am

Pitts wrote:I don't get why everyone gets so bent out of shape if Crosby doesn't get top marks across the board in everything.

I don't think it's so much that as it is just wondering. He started out so young & with all the hype, fans want to know if it was all warrented. There have been others before him who were going to be the "Next One" (88 ) & fell flat on their face(88 )...with the help of Kaspar. :D

It would be kind of nice for the Pens to have the real deal...twice...wouldn't it?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:03 am

Pitts wrote:I don't get why everyone gets so bent out of shape if Crosby doesn't get top marks across the board in everything.

For me it's not so much that he has to be getting "top marks" as much as it is that a year ago, you'd most likely have gotten different results. So, at least amongst current players, it seems that his 'stock' is falling.

Considering the strong debate on the former board about whether or not his on ice demeanor was turning off fans, officals, teammates and oher players (How did that thread start, I think it was something about a poster complaining that they were watching the game with their father and younger sibling and could lip read Sidney dropping F-Bombs left and right), it's interesting to watch this develop.

To me, he's still an exremely talented child. We keep coming back to this, but at 18, there was NO WAY I could have withstood the glare of all of the media attention. (Heck, I'm not sure I could now).

Sid will most likely have 300 points by the time he turns 21.

That thought alone makes me shake my head in amazement.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 am

On the contrary, I'm pretty amazed that 40% of NHLer's surveyed think this. I think that is very high praise and that few, if any players in the league now would get that kind of number if the same question were asked.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:35 am

letsgopens87 wrote:Choices were probably based on his reputation, not actual skill

i agree, the first thing some of them probably thought was "crybaby"

that sickens me
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby FlyerNation on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:03 am

You guys get yourselves so damn worked up when it comes to the lamest subjects related to the kid. Why is it so hard to grasp than SOME players feel he won't be top 10? Top 10 for Christ Sakes not top 20 or 30. You guys act like they're saying he'll be a bust. Are you guys really expecting him to be better than Orr, Gretzky, Mario, Messier, Howe, Yzerman, Roy etc after only seeing him play not even a full season yet?

There's so many variables that go into putting together an OPININATED list of top 10 athletes in any sport. Injuries being the main. Who the hell knows if down the road he'll end up like Lindros. By his first 4 years in the league he was arguably the best player in the league w Jagr and certainly there would have been some to feel he would go down as one of the all time greats but then his concussion problems occured. Sid could face the same situation especially since like Lindros he's a gritty player.

Championships is another criteria in selection. Perhaps some of these players feel the Pens future might not be as optimistic as some here do and their stability as a franchise might lead them to feel winning a cup even in Sids career depending how long it will last might be a huge challenge. To be put top 10 you're talking about multiple cups easily.

He hasn't even played 1 full season yet and everyone feels the kid is being dogged. You guys are killing yourselves reading into every comment or article made about him. Besides it's not like it was 75% of the players said he wouldn't. It was pretty close so he's not being dissed as bad as what some of you feel.
Last edited by FlyerNation on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyerNation

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 am

i wasnt saying that
i just hate it when people call him a crybaby.
People, i mean, Yeah he's good, but he's not a super phenom.
and he can really suck at times...
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 am

40% is phenomenally high in my eyes. When you are talking about the 10 best...all-time, that is a very lofty group, let alone in recent memory.

I wonder what the poll would say about Ovechkin, or Kovulchuk or Staahl, or any other recent rookie. The fact is that if 40% of any group, aside from the LGP board contributors, thinks he will be the 10 best of all-time, is amazing. Even moreso from his peers.

We are truly spoiled by having 66, by anyone's account, in the top 2-3 all-time. I hate to admit it, and even considering the "Dying alive" years, Jagr could be put in the top 10, or close to it. He is about to get his 6th scoring title, moving him into a tie for 2nd place all time.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:14 am

MWB wrote:

On the contrary, I'm pretty amazed that 40% of NHLer's surveyed think this. I think that is very high praise and that few, if any players in the league now would get that kind of number if the same question were asked.

Your line of thinking is where it's at. To be considered top 10 of all time in truly elite company that very few reach. That 40% of his peers feel he will be there is amazing.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tazman5099 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:02 am

I'd say that's very high praise indeed. I found a top ten list, compiled by ESPN I believe:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Doug Harvey
6. Maurice "The Rocket" Richard
7. Patrick Roy
8. Jean Beliveau
9. Mark Messier
10. Eddie Shore

Not saying I agree with the list, but if Crosby can be mentioned with these names (and remain a Penguin for his career), I'd be extatic!
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm

People, i mean, Yeah he's good, but he's not a super phenom.
and he can really suck at times...

Good? An 18 year old who is on his way to a 100 point season, on the worst team in the league - with another rookie and a waiver pickup as his linemates? And just about every time he touches the puck, he creates something - often out of nothing.

I've watched 90% of the Pens games this season - these times when he "really sucked" must have been when I wasn't watching.

Let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins