Pens hire Allen and Co to broker sale of franchise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens hire Allen and Co to broker sale of franchise

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:05 am

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:25 am

Onorato said he remains confident Harrah's and Majestic Star will agree to his proposal that they kick in $7.5 million a year toward an arena if they win the casino license.

"They'd be nuts not to," Onorato said.


Indeed they would, however IOC would still remain far and away the best plan available.

Also, I am not at all concerned about the Pens hiring a broker to manage the sale of the team. I am pretty sure that is a step they would take whether or not they are interested in plan B or not.

Also, also, it has occured to me that the Penguins would be wise not to whole heartedly accept plan B even if they are certain that they will accept it if they lose the bid. The reason why is because of the IOC partnership and its their turn to be the ones making a verbal agreement. That way they can maintain the same pressure by not appearing to be 100% for it.
NIN
 

Postby BurghThing on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:39 am

"They'd be nuts not to," Onorato said.

Why? If there is no law forcing them to, why vountarily shell out that kind of cash? You think people won't go to the only casino in town because they didn't chip in for a new arena?

Well I know I won't, but I'm different.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,416
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Postby NIN on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:39 am

BurghThing wrote:"They'd be nuts not to," Onorato said.

Why? If there is no law forcing them to, why vountarily shell out that kind of cash? You think people won't go to the only casino in town because they didn't chip in for a new arena?

Well I know I won't, but I'm different.


If the other two applicants refuse to particiapate then they are pretty much forcing the gaming board to chose the IOC plan. Then again, if it's fixed and FC doesnt want to scratch Randells hhideous fat pox ridden back. Then basically Randell could say to them that all bets are off. He really doesnt want to lose the election and this will cost them an insurmountable amount of votes.

As much as I hate Randell I hate Swann even more. The republicans have stood aside all these years (even during the last election!) on the arena issue and now when they see chance to whore themselves out to the public they do it. Where is their backup plan? They can't even bring themseleves to lie by saying that if we elect them they will keep the team here!
NIN
 

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 am

NIN wrote:
BurghThing wrote:"They'd be nuts not to," Onorato said.

Why? If there is no law forcing them to, why vountarily shell out that kind of cash? You think people won't go to the only casino in town because they didn't chip in for a new arena?

Well I know I won't, but I'm different.


If the other two applicants refuse to particiapate then they are pretty much forcing the gaming board to chose the IOC plan. Then again, if it's fixed and FC doesnt want to scratch Randells hhideous fat pox ridden back. Then basically Randell could say to them that all bets are off. He really doesnt want to lose the election and this will cost them an insurmountable amount of votes.

As much as I hate Randell I hate Swann even more. The republicans have stood aside all these years (even during the last election!) on the arena issue and now when they see chance to whore themselves out to the public they do it. Where is their backup plan? They can't even bring themseleves to lie by saying that if we elect them they will keep the team here!


Why would they be pretty much handing it to the IOC. Don't forget, this is about property tax relief, not building a new arena or saving the Pens.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,430
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby Draftnik on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 am

BurghThing wrote:"They'd be nuts not to," Onorato said.

Why? If there is no law forcing them to, why vountarily shell out that kind of cash? You think people won't go to the only casino in town because they didn't chip in for a new arena?

Well I know I won't, but I'm different.


Who do you think will approve the building permits, zoning regulations, sewage lines, access/traffic plans, etc for Harrah's/FC? Onorato and O'Connor. They can make life miserable for Harrah's/FC by prevent them from operating and even add more than $7.5M in annual operating costs with onerous regulations.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:49 am

NIN, how can you blame Swann for not coming up with an alternative plan, yet. He doesn't hold an office. You can guarantee anything he could offer would have holes punched in it because he doesn't have the info he would need to formulate such a plan.

Putting personal politics aside, Swann and the 28 local politicians have backed the only plan that guarantees the Pens stay. I'm not a resident of PA anymore, but with the passion I feel for keeping the Pens, (which you feel as well), my vote would be 99% weighted toward what each candidate hoping to get my vote has done for the Pens. Rendell & Onorata have done nothing until it is almost (hopefully not) too late.

If they would have come up with plan B before the Pens & IOC made their proposal, the Pens would likely have signed. As it is, Rendell & Onorata are just trying to pull their fat out of the frier (pun intended) because it is an election year.

Elections come and go, and the collective impact in PA swings, but it is right around the middle of the political pendullum. This is one issue that individual politicians can make a difference in what I care about, so if I were still a resident, I would pull the lever for those who did me right on this issue, no matter how hard it would be to vote Lib.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Portland, Maine

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:51 am

Didn't I read somewhere that the law takes away the zoning control, or at least some of it, from the local communities as far as the casinos go??

While this may be a powerful tool, if O'Connor and Onorato are unwilling to publicly back the Isle of Capri plan, I doubt they'd really use any zoning control they may have.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby SportsFan on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:10 pm

I keep hearing a reading the same people say the IOC is the best plan, but no support to back it up. For the team, IOC is the best pla, but it is not the best for the city or state.
SportsFan
 

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:13 pm

SportsFan wrote:I keep hearing a reading the same people say the IOC is the best plan, but no support to back it up. For the team, IOC is the best pla, but it is not the best for the city or state.


Speaking of not backing up your statements.

What kind of stones you must have to make that last statement and then leave it there suspended in thin air.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:10 pm

SportsFan,

It seems that your only purpose on this board is to voice your opposition to the IoC's plan.

I'd like to know why you support FC's plan.

Are you an employee of Harrah's or FC?

Do you own a business in Station Square?

Do you actually believe FC's overstated revenue projections and understated traffic projections?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,366
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm

I've come to the conclusion that he is not a student. I'm wondering if our little buddy might be ol' Abe. They seem to be intellectual equals and they share the same point of view. Given how few Pittsburghers actually hold their opinion, it seems likely to me that they are indeed the same person.

Hey Abe, thanks. With spokespeople like you, it can only help the Capri plan.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby wallflower on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:33 pm

Draftnik wrote: They can make life miserable for Harrah's/FC by prevent them from operating and even add more than $7.5M in annual operating costs with onerous regulations.

But that's assuming that they would have the guts to do so - I haven't seen any indication whatosever that either O'Conner or Onorato would follow through with something like that.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby NIN on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:13 pm

Tinker wrote:NIN, how can you blame Swann for not coming up with an alternative plan, yet. He doesn't hold an office. You can guarantee anything he could offer would have holes punched in it because he doesn't have the info he would need to formulate such a plan.

Putting personal politics aside, Swann and the 28 local politicians have backed the only plan that guarantees the Pens stay. I'm not a resident of PA anymore, but with the passion I feel for keeping the Pens, (which you feel as well), my vote would be 99% weighted toward what each candidate hoping to get my vote has done for the Pens. Rendell & Onorata have done nothing until it is almost (hopefully not) too late.

If they would have come up with plan B before the Pens & IOC made their proposal, the Pens would likely have signed. As it is, Rendell & Onorata are just trying to pull their fat out of the frier (pun intended) because it is an election year.

Elections come and go, and the collective impact in PA swings, but it is right around the middle of the political pendullum. This is one issue that individual politicians can make a difference in what I care about, so if I were still a resident, I would pull the lever for those who did me right on this issue, no matter how hard it would be to vote Lib.


Some valid points but my point is that they didnt even suggest they would make a backup plan themselves if eleceted. That is a strong campaign promise that would have to be backed up immediately if they were elected. Instead we got DEMOCRAT BASHING and NOTHING else...they dont care about IOC....they dont care about Pittsburgh....they dont care about the Penguins.....they just want elected and poeple are actually buying their BS.

Randell and his demobrats are wrong for not backing IOC but they have played this situation perfectly from a political point of veiw. There are poeple out there who dont care for an arena or hockey. They are the 60 and over folks AND THEY OUTNUMBER US. Dismissing the other 2 applicants by supporting one tells our old folks that they arent taking the property tax issue seriously. They have done and acted exactly how politicians should act and I think its only right to recognize that even if you disagree with their lack of passion for the right cause.
NIN
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Luckybreak, Steve Dave and 7 guests


e-mail