Gonchar is officially out of the dog house

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gonchar is officially out of the dog house

Postby Reilly on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:56 pm

with 6 games remaining in the season. Congrats Sergei.
Reilly
 

Postby Shinoix on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:59 pm

he's been very decent as of late, and tonight's game was the kind of play i was expecting of him all season...he made a difference on the offense tonight, he CREATED!!

That's the Gonch I know, and expected. Welcome back Serge.
Shinoix
 

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:59 pm

He's not out of the doghouse until he plays an entire season like he has been lately!
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,105
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Shinoix wrote:he's been very decent as of late, and tonight's game was the kind of play i was expecting of him all season...he made a difference on the offense tonight, he CREATED!!

That's the Gonch I know, and expected. Welcome back Serge.


Yeah, forget the fact that he led the team down the toilet for the first 2/3 of the season, it's his performance in these meaningless mop-up games that really counts.

Know when he can get out of the doghouse? Next January, assuming he hasn't crapped all over the first half of another season.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Re: Gonchar is officially out of the dog house

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Reilly wrote:with 6 games remaining in the season. Congrats Sergei.
:roll:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Dgenx321 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Seems like playing for Russia in Torino put him over the edge.

Lets hope he keeps it up next year.
Dgenx321
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Calcutta, Ohio

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Maybe while he was at the Olympics, he saw how good Malkin really is and thought "Wow, this kid is SO good, he is going to single handily win a Cup for me next year if I play well enough to stay with the Pens!"


One can only hope. 8)
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,105
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

need a volunteer....

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:48 am

Shinoix wrote:he's been very decent as of late, and tonight's game was the kind of play i was expecting of him all season...he made a difference on the offense tonight, he CREATED!!

That's the Gonch I know, and expected. Welcome back Serge.


Somebody has to volunteer to find Sergei Gonchar at the end of
June...convince him the new season has begun. Therefore by
the time november arrives he'll be in his current & former all-star form.
:lol: :lol:

Joking aside, last night's game was the very 1st all year I've seen
this Sergei Gonchar dominate a game. Regardless of the
opponents status... Sergei skated smoothly, created chances and yes
even put his body in place for a defensive own zone play. Plus, his playing that way may help Ryan Whitney to break free from his chains of playing at the offensive blueline. I loved seeing Ryan jump into the play
in front of the net.

Sergei please continue the spring fling of playing great.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,041
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: Gonchar is officially out of the dog house

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:32 am

Kicksave wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
Reilly wrote:with 6 games remaining in the season. Congrats Sergei.
:roll:



:roll:


:roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Steve on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:34 pm

These aren't meaningless games - Gonchar is playing well against teams who are often in must-win situations.

But where was this in the beginning of the season? No excuse for a slow start that spans 2/3 of the season, especially for someone making $60,000 per game. (or whatever it is).

let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,687
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Unless it is to display a visual of what Endicott looked like after he got whopped on at the end of the one Flyer game, I officially motion to banninate the nm rollie eye face.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby Fast B on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:46 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Unless it is to display a visual of what Endicott looked like after he got whopped on at the end of the one Flyer game, I officially motion to banninate the nm rollie eye face.


:roll:

(Banninate? What is this, Fark?)
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Not sure what fark is?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby netwolf on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:37 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Unless it is to display a visual of what Endicott looked like after he got whopped on at the end of the one Flyer game, I officially motion to banninate the nm rollie eye face.


I disagree. The rolling eyes smiley is the most appropraite response to many of Reilly's posts.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,442
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:50 pm

netwolf wrote:The rolling eyes smiley is the most appropraite response to many of Reilly's posts.


I can't argue with that. However, you've proven capable of actually generating a response even if you disagree. Some people post the rolling eyes little guy at every whim of something they disagree with and it just seems silly. If you disagree with something someone's said, that's half the fun of talking about it, but at least explain why.

(Counting the seconds until I get a rolling eye'd response to this.....)
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:56 pm

More than you would have needed for that to be funny.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:09 pm

fizban wrote:
Vanbiesbrouck wrote:More than you would have needed for that to be funny.

It wouldn't have been funny no matter how fast I would've responded. You asked for it, so I gave it to you.


I disagree, I had a fairly good chuckle over it. :-)

It's funny because Reilly uses it when he can't think of anything intelligent to say (Which is to say EVERY post).
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:30 pm

That's all I'm sayin' without sayin' it. Thank ya.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Steve wrote:These aren't meaningless games - Gonchar is playing well against teams who are often in must-win situations.

But where was this in the beginning of the season? No excuse for a slow start that spans 2/3 of the season, especially for someone making $60,000 per game. (or whatever it is).

let's go Pens!


These games are meaningless for Gonchar and the Penguins except as to how they impact the team's draft position and provide the ever-dubious "momentum" going into next season. As you are saying, I'm not prepared to say that Sergei Gonchar has redeemed his season by finally playing OK only when it doesn't really count anymore.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Defence21 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:43 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Shinoix wrote:he's been very decent as of late, and tonight's game was the kind of play i was expecting of him all season...he made a difference on the offense tonight, he CREATED!!

That's the Gonch I know, and expected. Welcome back Serge.


Yeah, forget the fact that he led the team down the toilet for the first 2/3 of the season, it's his performance in these meaningless mop-up games that really counts.

Know when he can get out of the doghouse? Next January, assuming he hasn't crapped all over the first half of another season.

So a half season of bad hockey will erase 6 seasons of phenomal offensive hockey -- but a half season of solid offensive hockey won't wipe out a half season of bad hockey? Screwed up logic at its finest. Everyone has to have a reason to complain -- even when there is nothing to complain about. Gotta love it :roll:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,878
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:42 pm

Defence21 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
Shinoix wrote:he's been very decent as of late, and tonight's game was the kind of play i was expecting of him all season...he made a difference on the offense tonight, he CREATED!!

That's the Gonch I know, and expected. Welcome back Serge.


Yeah, forget the fact that he led the team down the toilet for the first 2/3 of the season, it's his performance in these meaningless mop-up games that really counts.

Know when he can get out of the doghouse? Next January, assuming he hasn't crapped all over the first half of another season.

So a half season of bad hockey will erase 6 seasons of phenomal offensive hockey -- but a half season of solid offensive hockey won't wipe out a half season of bad hockey? Screwed up logic at its finest. Everyone has to have a reason to complain -- even when there is nothing to complain about. Gotta love it :roll:


Where to begin?

Gonchar has hardly been phenomenal for the past 6 years. He's scored a lot of points, but that by itself doesn't make someone a "phenomenal" offensive player, and even if he were you're ignoring about 50% of the game in evaluating the guy.

The six seasons of "phenomenal" hockey came in other uniforms. I don't give a rat's ass what he did with Washington or Boston or whoever else. He blew chunks in his first season with the only team I care about.

That "half season of bad hockey" came during the half of the season when the team wasn't officially out of the playoffs and were a major, maybe THE major, reason why the team fell out of contention so early on. The two "halves" of the season only seem equal to one another if you're a dunce.

Nothing to complain about? This whole SEASON has been something to complain about. Wow, they're a game under .500 since the trade deadline after being a billion games below .500 before it. Pardon me while I go change my pants, because I just wet myself with glee.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail