Is Koltzov turning the corner?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is Koltzov turning the corner?

Postby Jasmine on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:03 pm

I hope so. I love this kid!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:17 pm

I would hope he is. He's so overdue to get some goals for a hardworking guy.
And not to sound like a broken record, but I can see where Gonchar is quietly having an impact on all the younger guys right now too. Finally! Some good things to end the season with.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:28 pm

I think he's simply found his role. He's not meant to be a top two line player or a scorer. He's a third line grinder who can chip in here and there and kill penalties. He definitely is playing better than he did at the beginning of the year. His work ethic is up after being sent down. I see him being a solid third line guy. He definitely has a place on a winning team.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:30 am

Henry Hank wrote: I see him being a solid third line guy.

If one were to go back and sift through all the posts on his board... I think you'd find it's he opinion of most posters that we have like 6 or 7 third line guys :-) , and no second line guys... :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BacklashJack on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:09 am

He's playing the same as he's been, working hard, no hands, but that hard work I think is starting to pay off.
BacklashJack

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:32 am

BacklashJack wrote:He's playing the same as he's been, working hard, no hands, but that hard work I think is starting to pay off.

He's never been making thr passes hr'd brrn making in the last couple weeks. He does not look out of place playing on a 2nd line with Malone and Leclair. I think him taking the visor off let him see more of what was going on around him. He's also started to change up his speed in the offensive zone.

Right now, unless we get some more wings, I'd play him with Malkin and Malone. Koltsov playing with another Russian speaking player could make him play better especially when Malkin explains the little things to him that gets lost in translation.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:56 am

No way I would play Koltsov with Malkin. He just doesn't have the ability to score, and you need someone that can score playing with your best players. Koltsov does lots of solid things, but offense isnt one of them. Keep him on a 3rd or 4th line.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:08 am

And the Third line keeps getting bigger :-)

Eventually we won't have any D-men on that line, just five forwards :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:25 am

FallenHero96 wrote:No way I would play Koltsov with Malkin. He just doesn't have the ability to score, and you need someone that can score playing with your best players. Koltsov does lots of solid things, but offense isnt one of them. Keep him on a 3rd or 4th line.

Someone has to play defense and get the puck in the corner on Malkin's line. Right now barring any big signings Koltsov would have the best shot at playing on Malkin's wing. Having three highly skilled guys who won't dig in the corners gets you nowhere.

And the same thing you said about Koltsov was said about Armstrong when he was moved up to Crosby's wing and that turned out more than fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

If Koltzov had hands he woukd be .......

Postby Gunnerfan on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:30 am

Pavel Bure. God I wish. But hey he found his place on this team. Good for him.
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:18 pm

DelPen wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:No way I would play Koltsov with Malkin. He just doesn't have the ability to score, and you need someone that can score playing with your best players. Koltsov does lots of solid things, but offense isnt one of them. Keep him on a 3rd or 4th line.

Someone has to play defense and get the puck in the corner on Malkin's line. Right now barring any big signings Koltsov would have the best shot at playing on Malkin's wing. Having three highly skilled guys who won't dig in the corners gets you nowhere.

And the same thing you said about Koltsov was said about Armstrong when he was moved up to Crosby's wing and that turned out more than fine.

Have you watched Malkin play? He is very capable defensively. At this moment I dont know who I would play with Malkin, but Koltsov just does not have the offensive awareness to keep up. Yes Armstrong worked out but guess what, Koltsov isn't Armstrong. Armstrong has at least shown some offensive capabiliity but Koltsov never has. Koltsov has never even scored more than 9 goals on any team in his whole career.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:23 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Have you watched Malkin play? He is very capable defensively. At this moment I dont know who I would play with Malkin, but Koltsov just does not have the offensive awareness to keep up. Yes Armstrong worked out but guess what, Koltsov isn't Armstrong. Armstrong has at least shown some offensive capabiliity but Koltsov never has. Koltsov has never even scored more than 9 goals on any team in his whole career.

As I said in the LeClair thread - to me there are only 3 suspects for Malkin's line next year (Please, please come over). Surovy, Ouellete and LeClair.

I personally think LeClair is the inside horse, if he is motivated to stay here. He has scored 20 goals without a center for mouch of the season, and while his skating is not great, from what I've seen of Malkin he can use whatever assets his linemates bring.

LeClair's touch around the net is still strong, and Malkin can buy him the time he needs to get there.

Koltsov is just a 3rd, or even 4th liner on a good team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins