LeClair-next year?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

LeClair-next year?

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:11 am

I think we should keep him one more year.. 20 goals convinced me for third line duty.. experiance still count!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:37 am

That Third line keeps getting bigger and bigger :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MKRA on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:31 am

I agree, Pens4life. I've thought this for awhile now. Frankly, the only reason they should entertain a trade for John would be if he really doesn't want back next year, which is possible.

The big issue with LeClair coming into the year was his health. He's proven that he's healthy. The only issue with John this year was the same issue with Mario, Recchi, T-Bo, and anybody else who was inactive during the lockout year. It took half a year for those guys to rediscover their games.

LeClair has been solid. If they get rid of him, they're just going to be looking for a replacement in the free-agent market -- there's not another LeClair in WBS. Besides, he's got one year left at $1.5. He isn't breaking the bank and he's not causing cap issues for a team that won't be anywhere near the cap next year. And a trade wont get them his worth.

LeClair-Koltsov-Malone has been a solid line for two months now. The team should worry about filling out a second line for next year - not what the third line will look like.
MKRA
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Two are for sure

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:11 am

Third line : LeClair - Malone OK, Koltsov i dont now yet... if he will play like this in future, than YES third line stays the same.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Two are for sure

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Third line : LeClair - Malone OK, Koltsov i dont now yet... if he will play like this in future, than YES third line stays the same.

I think that going into next year, if LeClair can honestly say that he can stay motivated through what is most-likely an 8th playoff spot at best year (more likely a 9th or 10th place finish) then he shoud be kept.

My view on his play is that he has continued to work hard and brings some much needed scoring touch along with Malone to the 2nd line.

The other factor to consider is that he is one of the best suspects we have to help Malkin be successful in his first season if he comes over. LeClair may be the type of guy to really benefit from playing with a guy who can control the play in all three zones like Malkin.

I don't see anyone in the Pens system that offers the same skills as LeClair. Ouellet, Surovy and LeClair are the 3 prime suspects in my mind, all with slightly different skill sets to try and leverage Malkin's playmaking abilities.

Right now, our two best offensive wingers are Armstrong and Hilbert - and they are reserved for Crosby's line next year. Malone seems to be better as a center. That leaves LeClair as the most proven product for one of Malkin's wings. At his salary, if he can earn that spot he would be a huge bargain.

If LeClair can develop some chemistry with Malkin, he could dractically improve on his goal production. LeClair, especially early in the season, was a victim of poor play from the center position. He's not a guy who can do it himself, but he is still very nifty down low - if his center can get the puck there more frequently.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins