IT'S A RACE, IT'S A RACE !!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

IT'S A RACE, IT'S A RACE !!!

Postby FuturePens on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:33 pm

With 3 games to go, and if Crosby can keep up 2 points a game and finish with 103 points, and Ovechkin only scores 1 point a game, he' ll have 105 points...

With a small margin like that, point total will be irrelevant I believe. Crosby's 102 PM are not something to be proud of but at least he's shown that he is tough and does not back up from anyone. He shoots a lot less than Ovechkin, and he has a better accuracy percentage than Ovechkin. He's also got the A on his jersey and that is amazing for a true 18 year old rookie.

I don't know about you, but I don't think the race is just over yet, these last six games mean alot, I think Crosby has a good shot at winning the Calder award even if he falls short a few points of Ovechkin.

Also, if we are talking about Lunquist having a chance, then what about Svatos? Look at his statistics this year, they are increadible...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/p ... atsId=3161

This kid has played 61 games only, 15 less and has put up 32 goals, and 18 assists. 10 Game winners and a 19.4 shooting percentage. That's increadible. He is the sole reason the Avelanche are where they are...don't you think? Oh by the way, he only plays 13.45 minutes a game. Thats's 5 minutes less than Crosby and 7 less than Ovechkin.
Last edited by FuturePens on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens66 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:42 pm

The biggest problem is that Crosby plays amazing and then disappears for a game or two. He can't afford to do that if he wants to close ground on AO.
letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:45 pm

I love Sid. I'm glad he is a Pen. He has had a fantastic season....

...With that being said, AO has been better consistently all year long and unless he gets shutout the rest of the way I think he should hands down get the Calder.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:47 pm

I don't think it really matters. I think Ovechkin will get it even if Crosby passes him in points. There's always the excuse that Ovechkin doesn't whine, Ovechkin has no supporting cast, and Ovechkin scores the highlight goals. He is going to get the Calder no matter what, and he does deserve it. I honestly don't think Crosby will even be the first runner-up. Too many people are going to want to vote for Phaneuf and Lundqvist.

In any event, Crosby is having an outstanding season, and quite possibly the best ever by an 18-year-old rookie.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:56 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't think it really matters. I think Ovechkin will get it even if Crosby passes him in points. There's always the excuse that Ovechkin doesn't whine, Ovechkin has no supporting cast, and Ovechkin scores the highlight goals. He is going to get the Calder no matter what, and he does deserve it.

I think Ovechkin not having a supporting cast goes against him really. By doing it all himself, it kind of takes away the fact that he can't spread the talent. Sid makes his entire line a lot better by making the play then getting them the puck instead of going for the score himself. Ovechkin makes the play then takes the shot.

That said, the best Sid can hope for if he somehow catches AO would be a share in the Calder, if it's possible. Ovechkin's just done too many great things this season to pass him up.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FuturePens on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:07 pm

Sid makes his entire line a lot better by making the play then getting them the puck instead of going for the score himself. Ovechkin makes the play then takes the shot.

That is very true, you can almost compare Ovechkin and Crosby to

Joe Thornton and Iliya Kovalchuk (spell), Joe makes the entire team better, look at the Sharks now compare to before he came, and look at Boston with him and without him. Kovalchuk is exactly like Ovechkin, shoot, shoot, and shoot again...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FuturePens on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:10 pm

WHERE ARE THE TONIGHTS PREDICTIONS ???
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:24 pm

FuturePens wrote:WHERE ARE THE TONIGHTS PREDICTIONS ???

I predict fairly clear skies with a low around 26. Winds North 10 to 20 MPH.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:25 pm

I wouldn't say Ovechkin's THAT one-dimensional. He's got more assists this year than Kovalchuk's ever had, and he certainly doesn't have the same kind of linemates as Ilya has had. At the same time, Crosby isn't really just a great playmaker who's a good goal scorer. He's great at it all. That's partly why I liken him to Jagr as far as current players go. Crosby is a really good goal scorer, unlike Forsberg, but he plays with the kind of edge that Forsberg has.

As a package, I definitely like Crosby more than Ovechkin. I just think Crosby is the more complete player and will be a better leader. Ovechkin isn't a selfish, one-sided player like Kovalchuk, but he does seem to love the personal glory.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FuturePens on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:52 pm

bh wrote:
FuturePens wrote:WHERE ARE THE TONIGHTS PREDICTIONS ???

I
predict fairly clear skies with a low around 26. Winds North 10 to 20 MPH.

Oh my, I did not know it was going to be that cold tonight, better put on a Coat when I go out, thanks for your delightful prediction. :shock:
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:16 pm

crosby's 'attitude issues' may work against him more than anything else. Witht hat aside, it would be a close race, especially if Crosby closes the gap.

Crosby will make it to 100....I'll say 102, including 40 goals.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FuturePens on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:10 pm

It's a shame Crosby got injured, especially since Washington is being blanked right now !!!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:49 am

I don't give a hoot about the Calder. I means nothing. When you talk about the greatest players to ever play the game, you talk about 'Cup championships, you talk about leadership, about points, about performances, I don't think anyone ever says you know that Mike Bossy has four Stanley Cups, played over 750 games and got 1126 points, But you know what's the most impressive? He won the Calder Cup his rookie year!

(Personally I'm more impressed with Bossy's three Lady Bing's.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:21 am

What are you assuming its between AO and Crosby? To me, the true rookie of the year is Mr. Henrik Lundqvist.

Year to date: 2005-06 52GP 30W 11L 9T 3051.88Minutes 111GA 1453SH 2SO 2.18GAA .924Sv%

And hes one of the sole reasons why the Rangers are winning right now. If this kid doesn't get it, it shows that the Calder is nothing more than a PR stunt and it shouldn't be taken seriously, anyway.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:58 am

Kicksave wrote:And hes one of the sole reasons why the Rangers are winning right now.

Might have something to do with a guy named Jagr too! :-)

But I agree, Lundqvist is awesome.

I can't remember when we've had so many great young goalies in the league. It's really exciting.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Jagr has been great, but with swiss cheese in the net they wouldn't be where they are right now.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:26 pm

Kicksave wrote:Jagr has been great, but with swiss cheese in the net they wouldn't be where they are right now.

I'm not exactly sure I'd say they had swiss chesse before Lunquist, Mike Richter was a pretty decent goalie... Although I'm not sure they've had anyone of Jagrs ability.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:24 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Jagr has been great, but with swiss cheese in the net they wouldn't be where they are right now.

I'm not exactly sure I'd say they had swiss chesse before Lunquist, Mike Richter was a pretty decent goalie... Although I'm not sure they've had anyone of Jagrs ability.

Mike Richter? How does he have any bearing on what is going on this season? lol did i miss something?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Kicksave wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Mike Richter? How does he have any bearing on what is going on this season? lol did i miss something?

Well, if we are talking about Lunquist having a chance, then what about Svatos? Look at his statistics this year, they are increadible...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/p ... atsId=3161

This kid has played 61 games only, 15 less and has put up 32 goals, and 18 assists. 10 Game winners and a 19.4 shooting percentage. That's increadible. He is the sole reason the Avelanche are where they are...don't you think? Oh by the way, he only plays 13.45 minutes a game. Thats's 5 minutes less than Crosby and 7 less than Ovechkin.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:21 pm

The point, if you can't figure it out, is that the Rangers have amazing depth at Goalie. I's not like they go from Henrik to some guy with a dog and a cane.

On the other hand.... try and replace Jamoir this year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:06 pm

It's going to be Ovechkin. If for some reason it is not, then Crosby will get it. No one else has a chance.

Fair or not, age WILL be taken into account on this award and what Ovechkin is doing as a 20 year old and what Crosby is doing at 18 exceeds what Lundquist is doing at 24.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:The point, if you can't figure it out, is that the Rangers have amazing depth at Goalie. I's not like they go from Henrik to some guy with a dog and a cane.

Who is going to come in after Henrik and put up numbers like that? Weekes won't do that. Al Montoya won't do that. Jagr, on the other hand, has had an amazing season but to directly credit Lundquist's success to Jagr is propostorous. If they don't have such steady goaltending, Jagr would be more pressured to play defense and that'd take away from his success on the scoreboard. So, one could argue it is Henrik's success that is leading Jagr, not the other way around.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:10 am

ziggystardust wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:The point, if you can't figure it out, is that the Rangers have amazing depth at Goalie. I's not like they go from Henrik to some guy with a dog and a cane.

Who is going to come in after Henrik and put up numbers like that? Weekes won't do that. Al Montoya won't do that. Jagr, on the other hand, has had an amazing season but to directly credit Lundquist's success to Jagr is propostorous. If they don't have such steady goaltending, Jagr would be more pressured to play defense and that'd take away from his success on the scoreboard. So, one could argue it is Henrik's success that is leading Jagr, not the other way around.

the strange thing is that Jagr is actually playing defense now

Or that it looks like hes playing better defense now because of the support he is getting from his netminder.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:12 am

Sure, that makes the whole team look better. Jagr is actually coming back in the zone now, and when he's there it's clear that he even gets in passing lanes and things. I've even noticed times that he's not first out of the zone.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:31 am

I've seen people play the age card with Lundqvist, but a rookie is a rookie.

The thing is, as much as Lundqvist has been dominant and comparable to the top of the goaltending class, Ovechkin and Crosby have been doing the same thing amongst the forwards, without much help even.

The top rookies of this class are just insane. The entire group is mindblowing. This would be a strong year if you took away Crosby, Ovechkin, and Lundqvist. We will not see this again for a long time, probably not ever. Just throw the names into the hat and pick one out. It doesn't even really matter. We have three emerging superstars (and potentially more) who are superstars right now and will get better with time.

By November of next year, whichever one winds up with the Calder is going to be yesterday's news and irrelevant. The only people who are really even going to make a big fuss when the news comes out are fanboys.

Edit: Oh, and Svatos is very good. I wouldn't put him on par with the top group, but he is one step behind them with guys like Prucha, Jokinen, Higgins, Carter and some others.
MrKnowNothing

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins