Want to be a scout for the Pens or another

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Want to be a scout for the Pens or another

Postby ville5 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:31 pm

NHL, collegiate, minor team? Take the 8 week online course. Taught by ESPN's E.J. Hradek amongst others. Only $995. (I'm almost positive the course fee is reimbursed by RJ if LGP.com is mentioned in one of weekly chat sessions.) :lol:
http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.co ... ckeygm.asp
Last edited by ville5 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am

or better yet, strike up conversations with real NHL scouts like I did with Chuck Grillo and Kyle Woodlief. Scouting is about setting an organizational standard and sticking to that when evaluating the talent.

The Penguins believe if they have more than one player from a draft class make it to the NHL, it was a success. And we all know the Penguins have not drafted an impact player above a top five pick since Martin Straka (19th in 92) and Markus Naslund (16th in 91).
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Bowser wrote:or better yet, strike up conversations with real NHL scouts like I did with Chuck Grillo and Kyle Woodlief. Scouting is about setting an organizational standard and sticking to that when evaluating the talent.

The Penguins believe if they have more than one player from a draft class make it to the NHL, it was a success. And we all know the Penguins have not drafted an impact player above a top five pick since Martin Straka (19th in 92) and Markus Naslund (16th in 91).

So the time Hradek spent as a scout for the Dallas Stars? How about Dennis MacInnis' time as Director of International Scouting Services? That's not considered REAL scouting? I guess not. :roll:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:26 pm

I have no problem with former scouts except EJ Hradek isn't much of a talent evaluator and that's why I said "real".
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Peter on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:33 pm

College credit too!
Peter

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 pm

Being a sport management major, I've asked one of my professors about this site. He said...

"That particular site has come to our attention several times. It is my opinion that it is just a money-maker for Lynn Lashbrook and the other people listed on the site. While Lynn (and the other professionals) certainly have some good experience, neither the RMU School of Business, nor the Sport Management program would give credit for taking those "courses." Personally, I would recommend that you be wary when you see stuff like that. If you see a topic that you are interested in learning more about, just let me know and I will direct you to some resources (free of charge) that will help you out."
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Maybe it's not ritzy enough for RMU, but the state of PA is more than happy to give licensed teachers 'continuing education' credit for this class.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zscout on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:55 am

NCU is a regionally Accredited University, I have been thinking of getting an M.Ed from them prior to retiring from the military.
Zscout

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins