Garrioch's latest...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Garrioch's latest...

Postby Admin on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:53 am

"The Penguins could be ready to make a coaching change -- especially if GM Craig Patrick is fired. Coach Michel Therrien has not impressed since being brought up from the Wilkes Barre/Scranton (AHL) and the word is players are pining to get out the door. Many can't stand his methods and wonder if rookie Sidney Crosby is getting the proper training for success in the NHL ..."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/20 ... 1-sun.html
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Bowser on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 am

New ownership will pick their GM and Coach, I think Therrien is safe until the sale goes through. Craig Patrick on the other hand is heading to Boston to run that franchise into the ground.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Re: Garrioch's latest...

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:13 am

Admin wrote:"The Penguins could be ready to make a coaching change -- especially if GM Craig Patrick is fired. Coach Michel Therrien has not impressed since being brought up from the Wilkes Barre/Scranton (AHL) and the word is players are pining to get out the door. Many can't stand his methods and wonder if rookie Sidney Crosby is getting the proper training for success in the NHL ..."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/20 ... 1-sun.html

I don't doubt that management isn't thrilled with Therrien since he took over the team. Afterall, his record is similar to or worse than Edzo's. However, he obviously has put into place a system which, at least, shows some cohesion between the players. They actually don't like they are playing pond hockey.

The part I disagree with is that players are" pining to get out the door." Most of these guys played under Therrien in WBS and loved him. When they came to the NHL under Edzo, they spoke of how well Therrien coached and how well-oiled his system was. Were they lying? Did they become bigshot NHLers? I doubt it. My guess is one or two guys -- maybe Leclair -- who want to be getting 2nd line minutes on a Cup contender want out. This story just sounds like a reach to me.

Although, I can say that I would not be surprised to see Therrien and Yeo released when a new GM is brought in. Not necessarily because they can't coach or whatever, but moreso because a new GM will want his own crew to coach the type of teams he puts together.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Garrioch's latest...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Defence21 wrote:Although, I can say that I would not be surprised to see Therrien and Yeo released when a new GM is brought in. Not necessarily because they can't coach or whatever, but moreso because a new GM will want his own crew to coach the type of teams he puts together.


I'm thinking MT will be given a pass on this season... he inherited a team that was the last in the league and played like it. After losing his #1 Goalie, Plaffy and one of the biggest Legends in the games history in #66, he still was able to install a system and has shown signs that the ship may finally be turning around (~ .500 record over the last 14 games).

That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be under the microscope next year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Guido on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:16 pm

'new ownership will pick new gm and coaching staff'?

how can new ownership mean the team stays in pittsburgh?? obviously, if mario sells the team over the summer it'll be to outside people, not to someone who wants to keep the team here.

We hear all of these interests from groups in other cities, I've yet to hear ONE GROUP that wants to buy the franchise and keep the Pens here.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,738
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: PA

Postby Bowser on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:22 pm

Guido - There are people locally and nationally that understand the Penguins franchise is worth more in the city of Pittsburgh, be it the IOC or Plan B, than moving to an unknown hockey city like Houston, Portland, or Kansas City.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Re: Garrioch's latest...

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:31 pm

Admin wrote:"...and the word is players are pining to get out the door. Many can't stand his methods..."


Many? Does John LeClair translate to "many" in some language? Gonchar has praised MT's methods. The kids are fine with him too. Who is the "many" that he refers to?


Admin wrote:"...and wonder if rookie Sidney Crosby is getting the proper training for success in the NHL ..."


What? The guy that turned the biggest joke of a delepment team into a contender... Someone that actually developed AHLers into NHLers... He isn't able to give Crosby the necessary training?

Man, I have to get a job as a sports writer. Apparently you don't even have to try and yet you still get paid. Apparently you can write spew and people will still read it, cough!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,486
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Bowser on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 pm

$100 says the source is Mark Recchi.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:41 pm

Bowser wrote:$100 says the source is Mark Recchi.


That would even make him less of a sportswriter in my opinion.

Taking information from a guy who's no longer with the club? Not like Recchi would have any biases or hidden agendas right?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Gonchar's turn around has to be credited - in part - to MT. Give credit to Gonchar for working through it...but MT installed a system that despite the record reflects an improved team that lost a HOFer and two All-Stars. It took time to get the system rolling...and now that it is the team does not look that bad. I would love to see MT get a training camp under his belt and see what happens.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,529
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Postby Bowser on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Garrioch is laughed at by his own peers but I would have more respect for him or the other writers (you know Brooks and Panaccio) if they would come out and say it is Recchi making the remarks.

Jim Kelley, John Buccigross, and Mark Madden already opened the box for others to join.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Remember how great it was to Recchi back in 'Burgh when CP signed him. What a HUGE disapointment. Recchi's attitude and remarks may be the most disapointing aspect of this season. I can take the losing...but a good 'ole boy turning bad is tough to take.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,529
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Incase you were wondering.. Recchi in CAR

Postby Racer17 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:18 pm

16GP- 8-7-1

3G, 2A, 5P -8 27 SOG

Interesting factoid- CAR is 8-7-1 with Recchi, but has only played 4 playoff teams in those 16 games (4-0) and has played WAS 4 times (2-2).
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Brentwood, PA

Postby Bowser on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:25 pm

There's a reason why the Penguins have played well since the trade deadline, his name is Mark Recchi.

The young players no longer have to sit in the room and listen to him rant and rave about doing it the "right way", while he shortshifts his teammates by exposing them on bad passes or floats to cover his man.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm

MT gets next season regardless what happens.
Reilly
 

Postby KCHockey on Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:48 pm

unknown hockey city like Houston, Portland, or Kansas City


I'm convinced it won't be KC.

But, you better put Hartford on this list because if Gottesdiener buys the team there is a legit chance the team moves there.
KCHockey
 

Postby freq019 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm intrigued by the John Davison to St. Louis as president rumor too
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Now in the burgh

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:38 pm

KCHockey wrote:
unknown hockey city like Houston, Portland, or Kansas City


I'm convinced it won't be KC.

But, you better put Hartford on this list because if Gottesdiener buys the team there is a legit chance the team moves there.


And, where would they play? They have no arena to speak of and are having the same troubles getting one built that the Pen's are here. They will not go to Hartford.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,369
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby jimjom on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Pitts wrote:
KCHockey wrote:
unknown hockey city like Houston, Portland, or Kansas City


I'm convinced it won't be KC.

But, you better put Hartford on this list because if Gottesdiener buys the team there is a legit chance the team moves there.


And, where would they play? They have no arena to speak of and are having the same troubles getting one built that the Pen's are here. They will not go to Hartford.



Not to mention their average attendance is under 5,000.

http://sports.ctnow.com/default.asp?c=c ... ndance.htm

People in Hartford no longer support hockey like they used to.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,841
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Postby DayWalker on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:51 pm

Why the NHL would move a team back to a failed, oversaturated (Boston, NYI, NYR, NJD) market like Hartford is beyond me...

Kinda like moving a team to KC...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:42 pm

jimjom wrote:Not to mention their average attendance is under 5,000.

http://sports.ctnow.com/default.asp?c=c ... ndance.htm

People in Hartford no longer support hockey like they used to.


I'm not going to say that Hartford is the most attractive market for an NHL franchise because it's not.... but you can't project potential NHL attendence from AHL numbers for a struggling AHL franchise.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Garrioch's latest...

Postby NIN on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Defence21 wrote:The part I disagree with is that players are" pining to get out the door." Most of these guys played under Therrien in WBS and loved him. When they came to the NHL under Edzo, they spoke of how well Therrien coached and how well-oiled his system was. Were they lying? Did they become bigshot NHLers? I doubt it. My guess is one or two guys -- maybe Leclair -- who want to be getting 2nd line minutes on a Cup contender want out. This story just sounds like a reach to me.

Although, I can say that I would not be surprised to see Therrien and Yeo released when a new GM is brought in. Not necessarily because they can't coach or whatever, but moreso because a new GM will want his own crew to coach the type of teams he puts together.


Players want to win. WInning is fun and winning means more money for everybody. Bowman was probably not liked anymore when he was running a Montreal dynasty then when he was coaching the Penguins into an almost dynasty. All that matters is the wins, like all the AHL wins. If Therrian doesnt get some wins next season- like 10-15 more then this year- players might start to question him and it could get ugly someday.
NIN
 

Re: Garrioch's latest...

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:51 pm

NIN wrote:Players want to win. WInning is fun and winning means more money for everybody. Bowman was probably not liked anymore when he was running a Montreal dynasty then when he was coaching the Penguins into an almost dynasty. All that matters is the wins, like all the AHL wins. If Therrian doesnt get some wins next season- like 10-15 more then this year- players might start to question him and it could get ugly someday.

Oh I certainly don't disagree. There will come a time that things will need to change if Therrien doesn't get the team winning. And, like you said, that time likely will have to be next season. But I highly doubt any of the young guys are complaining about him at this point. Like I said, his record doesn't show it, but the team is playing a more disciplined style. Hopefully that can convert to wins. If it doesn't, like you said, players will begin to complain.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,808
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby KG on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:51 pm

I am not for just dumping MT for the sake of making a change. But I would have to think long and hard about Andy Murray. Guy is proven NHL coach who did well with the kings (this season's collapse was not his fault imo).
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,968
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby Guido on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:28 pm

Bowser wrote:Guido - There are people locally and nationally that understand the Penguins franchise is worth more in the city of Pittsburgh, be it the IOC or Plan B, than moving to an unknown hockey city like Houston, Portland, or Kansas City.


i understand your point, Bowser, it's just so hard to be optimistic. The support for IoC and the possibility of a plan b is great...but i am very worried about the sale of the team. if mario's group sells to an out of town interest BEFORE plan A, B, or whatever is made, then that's it, game over man....i really want to be optimistic.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,738
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: PA

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Defence21, Fast B, Staggy, the riddler and 21 guests

e-mail