Chara , Redden, Gaborik or Elias????

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Chara , Redden, Gaborik or Elias????

Postby Coy and Vance on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:22 pm

If you can have 1 big ticket free agent next year, who would you sign?
Coy and Vance
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Redden and some role players.

Chara and Gaborik are too expensive, and Elias is exactly the kind of player that would come here and we would all end up calling overpaid.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Redden is going to get similiar money to Chara. He's that good.

If I have to pick one of those players, give me Chara. He's super big, mean, and get put up points. He helps your team in every aspect of the game. Redden would be my second choice. He does it all too, but Chara adds more physicalilty.

Sykora and Elias played with Malkin during the lockout. I wonder if they would do a package deal to come here and have another go with him? Then again, the Kariya/Selanne thing didn't work out for Colorado so maybe that isn't a good idea...

All that aside, I don't think any one elite player would help the Pens as much as getting two reliable defenders and a capable scoring wing that speaks Russian would. They may already have one of those reliable defenders in Noah Welch, though 3 games is obviously not a big sampling.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Well we aren't getting Gaborik or Elias, and I seriously doubt we'll sign Chara or Redden, too expensive we have some other holes we could fill without spending all of our "free agent money" on $7M Chara and $5M Redden.

Gaborik is a career Minnesota player, there is no way that the Devils ever let Elias go...
Redden is not worth the money he will command, and the team that does sign him (if it's not Ottawa) will quickly realize that he was not quite worth the investment
Chara is a worthy investment, but not for small market Pittsburgh, we aren't a team that's one step from the Finals, we're trying to escape the basement...I'll take a few medium free agents over one big signing.

So in short, my answer, is two of these can't happen and the other two won't...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:28 am

Daisy Duke in them cutoffs. :lol:
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:40 am

All of this just reminds me of how I said last year that we should avoid big free agent signings because this years crop of free agents was bigger and better.

Who would you rather have, Gonchar or Redden/Chara?

Even if Gonchar was Gonchar of Craps days of old. Those guys are more complete players.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:21 am

I'd take them in that order of best deal. Chara is without a doubt the best, he's 6'9". Redden's got a great overall game, Gaborik and Elias both have injury problems but are awesome when they're healthy.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 am

Gaborik
NIN

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:06 am

I'll take Samsanov and Mitchell for the money (we could probably sign both for the price of Redden or Chara). Otherwise though I'd take Chara.

I was pretty excited about the UFA market this offseason until I read the article on Fleury's contract this morning on Penguinslive.com. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but MAF didn't seem overly excited about signing another contract with the Penguins. Between Malkin and MAF we have enough to worry about 'in our own end' so to speak. Judging by the way CP does business, I'm sure it will be drawn out over the course of the entire summer, thus taking us out of the UFA sweepstakes. I can't help but think the SOONER this organization cuts ties with CP the better off we will be.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:01 am

I choose none of the above. It would be fruitless for a team like the pens to allocate max cap room to one player. They are way too far away from contending to be investing in one star player. They need to take the money that they would spend on guys like this and pay three solid NHLers.

That said, of the three, I think Elias would look mighty nice alongside Crosby. Just not at the price he will command.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FlyerNation on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:09 am

A couple weeks ago on Sattelite Hotstove the Sens beat writer said he's talked to people who said Chara will be looking for a blockbuster deal around 7 million a year. Redden will be looking in the lower 6's. He said he talked to an "insider" who said the Sens will break the bank to sign both and then trade Phillips and Volchenkov.

Take it for what it's worth but I do see Chara asking for at least 6 and getting it. He's solid no doubt but doesn't put up the offensive numbers to warrant a contract in that range.
FlyerNation

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:44 am

Mad City Mike wrote: They need to take the money that they would spend on guys like this and pay three solid NHLers.

I agree.....

1. Samsanov
2. Mitchell
3. Sean Donovan

Armstrong - Crosby - Hilbert
Christensen - Malkin - Samsanov
Koltsov - Malone - Donovan
Leclair - Talbot - Roy

Orpik - Whitney
Gonchar - Mitchell
Welch - Lannon/Melichar
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:53 am

NJ5934 wrote:1. Samsanov
2. Mitchell
3. Sean Donovan

Armstrong - Crosby - Hilbert
Christensen - Malkin - Samsanov
Koltsov - Malone - Donovan
Leclair - Talbot - Roy

Orpik - Whitney
Gonchar - Mitchell
Welch - Lannon/Melichar

Unfortunately, I think Samsonov will also be too expensive. With his injury history, that's money I wouldn't spend. At that point, I'd spend the extra to get Elias.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:20 pm

Redden would be the best, but he's too expensive with Gonchar on the books.

I think Gaborik is an RFA, but I could be wrong there. Either way, Minnesota isn't going to let him go.

As for some more realistic free agents I'd be interested in, Samsonov comes to mind first, depending on what he wants. Some solid defensemen I'd look at are Sarich and Bouillon. A good defensive center would be nice. PJ Axelsson was a dream, but Boston extended him.
MrKnowNothing

Postby langano on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Brad Richards is also an RFA this summer and I don't think Tampa Bay has it in their budget to sign him to the kind of deal he would want. Pittsburgh might, but they'd have to give up draft picks. He may be worth it, he's a playmaker, scores goals and is a Stanley Cup champion.
langano

Postby Kicksave on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:07 pm

langano wrote:Brad Richards is also an RFA this summer and I don't think Tampa Bay has it in their budget to sign him to the kind of deal he would want. Pittsburgh might, but they'd have to give up draft picks. He may be worth it, he's a playmaker, scores goals and is a Stanley Cup champion.

And he can play on the wing.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby langano on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Kicksave wrote:
langano wrote:Brad Richards is also an RFA this summer and I don't think Tampa Bay has it in their budget to sign him to the kind of deal he would want. Pittsburgh might, but they'd have to give up draft picks. He may be worth it, he's a playmaker, scores goals and is a Stanley Cup champion.

And he can play on the wing.

My guess is he'd be getting Ollie Jokinen type money. With the losses of Mario, Palffy and Recchi, I'm sure Pittsburgh could find the $. As long as CP isn't doing the negotiating.
langano

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 pm

Chara then Gaborik.

Chara give the Pens the big capable physical Dman whe haven't had yet need (tutor for Welsh). Gaborik gives skill while not getting the old-school ego that we have seen from some vets...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby langano on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Chara and Gaborik would add another 10 mil per for just 2 players. :?:

Plus they have to resign Orpik, Malone, Fleury and still bring Malkin over. I think CP's head just exploded.

10 mil could bring in 3-4 NHLers that could help this team without relying on good fortunes.
langano

Postby Jim on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:12 am

Lemieux, Palffy and Recchi leaving opens up $10m. Tarnstrom and Jackman also gone... Stranger things have happened...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby alain blanc on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 am

Redden & Gaborik will be good choice!!!!
alain blanc

Postby tom_servo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Gaborik is too young to be a UFA. He's not available.
tom_servo

Postby Jim on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:44 pm

tom_servo wrote:Gaborik is too young to be a UFA. He's not available.

I didn't recall seeing his name either... I was just going with the flow, lol.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins