Ryan Malone fans

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 am

Super Slovak Surovy wrote:
Jim wrote:"He doesn't understand because he's small" - Goldfinger

?

See
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tocchet on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:13 pm

What do you want to know?

What's his favorite beer? I know that kid can put 'em away...
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:37 pm

netwolf wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:They didn't tender him and told him to go home because they thought he was lazy? That's news to me.

Nope, Pitts is right. When Naslund's contract was up with Vancouver after getting traded there, they did not resign him. He was UFA and could have gone anywhere. He ended up going back to Vancouver at or near the league minimum. At that point, a light went on and Naslund "got it." The rest is history.

People (not you) like to get on Patrick for the Naslund deal and some of that is deserved, but ANYONE could have signed Naslund. No one wanted him, save for Vancouver, but only on their terms.

If you'll notice, I didn't question that Vancouver non-tendered the guy. That's established fact. What I had not heard, and really have yet to hear, is that they non-tendered him because they thought he was lazy. "Not getting it" and lacking work ethic can be two different things. Maybe he would have "gotten it" in Pittsburgh if he'd been given the time to "get it" that, say, Alexei Morozov got. One thing I definitely don't recall is Markus Naslund ever going through a 40 game scoreless streak.

I think the criticism of the Naslund trade is somewhat hindsight, but it's also because it seems disproportionately like the Penguins are usually getting rid of the Markus Naslunds of the world and getting back the Alek Stojanovs of the world.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins