What's the AP guy smoking? (Cairns-Brashear fight)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What's the AP guy smoking? (Cairns-Brashear fight)

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 pm

This from the AP recap of tonight's game:

"Flyers enforcer Donald Brashear and Pittsburgh's Eric Cairns squared off in the third period immediately after both players left the penalty box, with Brashear landing a few solid shots early in the fight. Brashear got a rousing ovation as he returned to the penalty box and exchanged high-fives with some fans."

Did we watch the same fight here? I saw Brashear throw a ton of punches, but didn't see any of them connect. Cairns connected with one and maybe two. I would definitely give the edge to Cairns on this one.

I also didn't see Brashear high-fiving any fans, although maybe that's just OLN being clueless.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:35 pm

I think it was a draw honestly. Brashear landed a few early. Cairns landed one or two late then fell on Brashear....
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby langano on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:39 pm

that wasn't the fans he was high-fiving, it was Andre Roy for that stupid penalty
langano

Postby jmh470 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:47 pm

I call it a draw as well. Best fight involving a Penguin all year.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby langano on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm

jmh470 wrote:I call it a draw as well. Best fight involving a Penguin all year.

Maybe but that fight between Lefebvre and the guy from Vancouver was exciting too. And I'd say that Lefebvre won that one for sure. He prooved something that night.
langano

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:57 am

Cairns did the "no goal" ( or safe) motion after the linesmen pulled him away....

Brashear is a wuss. If he was so big and bad he would have battled with Cairns... not fell over so Cairns so get some hits in.
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:30 am

The fact is that Brashear had an adrenalin rush during that fight and he would have thrown a lesser man (ie. Roy) around like a drunken rag doll. Cairns hung tough and then capitalized after Brashear expeneded all his energy. Both guys landed some quality jabs throughout the fight but I think Cairns landed the best punch at the end.

The scary things is that Cairns could have gone another round or 2 while Brashear looked ready for a long nap. :lol:
NIN

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 am

Super Slovak Surovy wrote:Cairns did the "no goal" ( or safe) motion after the linesmen pulled him away....

Brashear is a wuss. If he was so big and bad he would have battled with Cairns... not fell over so Cairns so get some hits in.

Get a clue. Brash slipped at the end. He did go toe to toe with Cairns including ragdolling him at the beginning. Brash early Cairns late although that last shot didn't send Brash down. How anyone can see it differently is beyond me. Homers I guess. It was a draw if anything.

Brash has looked bad this year in some fights. His balance is off big time.
FlyerNation

Postby Steve on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:21 am

Brash landed more shots, but that last left by Cairns looked like it buckled brash a bit. I'd have to see it again, probably was a draw or slight win (yea i'm a homer) by Cairns.

gotta love two guys backing up their talk for a change. (coming out of the penalty box and immediately dropping their gloves, for those who didn't see the game)..

Let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:31 am

Steve wrote:Brash landed more shots, but that last left by Cairns looked like it buckled brash a bit. I'd have to see it again, probably was a draw or slight win (yea i'm a homer) by Cairns.

gotta love two guys backing up their talk for a change. (coming out of the penalty box and immediately dropping their gloves, for those who didn't see the game)..

Let's go Pens!

I agree with the two guys putting on a good show. Brash landed more but I think Cairns had the more solid shots. That one shot by Cairns near the end was a sledgehammer. Great fight.
FlyerNation

Postby pensfan66 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:53 am

Did anyone else DESPISE the announcers last night? I can't stand Jim Jackson and PJ Stock is an imbecile!!!! I live not far from Flyer Nation and have to tolerate that a** on comcast. I actually watched most of the 2nd period on mute cause they make me crazy!! Hello how long has Aubin been gone? Jackson called Caron Aubin I think 2 or 3 times. Also PJ STOCK ok we know you played in the NHL, get over yourself!!!
pensfan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am

FlyerNation wrote:
Super Slovak Surovy wrote:Cairns did the "no goal" ( or safe) motion after the linesmen pulled him away....

Get a clue. Brash slipped at the end. He did go toe to toe with Cairns including ragdolling him at the beginning. Brash early Cairns late although that last shot didn't send Brash down. How anyone can see it differently is beyond me. Homers I guess. It was a draw if anything.

Balance is what makes a fighter great in hockey. Brash couldnt man handle Cairns because Cairns was stronger on his skates. Thats why he won. Swallow your pill.
NIN

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:03 am

NIN wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:

Balance is what makes a fighter great in hockey. Brash couldnt man handle Cairns because Cairns was stronger on his skates. Thats why he won. Swallow your pill.
Ah Brash did handle him and even threw him off balance. What fight were you watching?
FlyerNation

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:10 am

hey if you want to route for the Flyer, go ahead.

they were evenly matched until brashear "lost his balance"
so cairns won, plain and simple
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:03 am

Super Slovak Surovy wrote:hey if you want to route for the Flyer, go ahead.

they were evenly matched until brashear "lost his balance"
so cairns won, plain and simple

Yup, all you have to ask was who had their back on the ice?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:47 am

pensfan66 wrote:Did anyone else DESPISE the announcers last night? I can't stand Jim Jackson and PJ Stock is an imbecile!!!! I live not far from Flyer Nation and have to tolerate that a** on comcast. I actually watched most of the 2nd period on mute cause they make me crazy!! Hello how long has Aubin been gone? Jackson called Caron Aubin I think 2 or 3 times. Also PJ STOCK ok we know you played in the NHL, get over yourself!!!

That's a money call right there, I lived in Flyer's nation...Jim Jackson, Steve Coates and Gary Dornhoefer are absolutely brutal. Don't even get me started but I frequently mute the TV when I'm forced into watching a Flyers game, I'll throw on a radio with the game on or something, whew! are they terrible. Good call.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:50 am

How can Cairns be considered a winner when he landed one punch? Even on the hockeyfights board where Brashear is hated the majority give him the edge in the fight because he was handling Cairns before he fell. Why would I expect any objectivity from some here though.

I don't judge hockeyfights by who ends up on top or bottom. It's about the whole fight not the end unless it's a clean TKO which it wasn't.
FlyerNation

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:51 am

mikey287 wrote:
pensfan66 wrote:Did anyone else DESPISE the announcers last night? I can't stand Jim Jackson and PJ Stock is an imbecile!!!! I live not far from Flyer Nation and have to tolerate that a** on comcast. I actually watched most of the 2nd period on mute cause they make me crazy!! Hello how long has Aubin been gone? Jackson called Caron Aubin I think 2 or 3 times. Also PJ STOCK ok we know you played in the NHL, get over yourself!!!

That's a money call right there, I lived in Flyer's nation...Jim Jackson, Steve Coates and Gary Dornhoefer are absolutely brutal. Don't even get me started but I frequently mute the TV when I'm forced into watching a Flyers game, I'll throw on a radio with the game on or something, whew! are they terrible. Good call.

I hate them and am glad Center Ice usually doesn't get the Comcast feed. No Flyer ever loses a fight, no Flyers deserves a pentalty...Coates is a drunken bafoon, Dornhoerfer is about 10 yers past his expiration date and Jackson should be doing horse racing. Probably the worse crew in the league.
FlyerNation

Postby Jamie on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:04 pm

FlyerNation wrote:How can Cairns be considered a winner when he landed one punch? Even on the hockeyfights board where Brashear is hated the majority give him the edge in the fight because he was handling Cairns before he fell. Why would I expect any objectivity from some here though.

I don't judge hockeyfights by who ends up on top or bottom. It's about the whole fight not the end unless it's a clean TKO which it wasn't.

I watched that replay several times on Tivo. When Ciarns landed a solid punch, Brashear went to the ice. As Brashear was going down, Cairns landed two more solid punches, that hit Brash right on the button. I gave the edge to Brash before I saw that. After seeing that, now I give the edge to Cairns. If Brashear would have stayed on his feet, it would have been even worse for him IMO. He did not go down until Cairns got his arm free and started to land.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby telegramdan on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:

i lived in flyernation for a short stint as well. CAN'T STAND that Jim Jackson. The other guys were decent though. While i'm at it, the DC broadcast crew is horrible too.
telegramdan

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:14 pm

telegramdan wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

i lived in flyernation for a short stint as well. CAN'T STAND that Jim Jackson. The other guys were decent though. While i'm at it, the DC broadcast crew is horrible too.

Has anyone checked Craig Laughlin for sexual gender. I swear sometimes it's as if there's a 75 year old Grandmother doing the Caps games. He was actually a physical player.

I'd say the worse:

Flyers
Canes ( Tripp Tracy is brutal)
Lighting. Bobby Taylor is the biggest homer out there.

Buffalo is tough to watch as well because every shot regardless of how close it is to scoring is called like it's game 7 of a playoff series.
FlyerNation

Postby jimjom on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:47 pm

PJ Stock's blog is THE WORST. He alternates between criticising players and management which is fresh coming from a player's perspective BUT it's all rendered uselessly annoying due to his whining and bellyaching about not being in the NHL blah blah blah. I can't stand him.

And of course we're mostly homers here. Cairns had the upper hand.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:46 pm

FlyerNation wrote:
NIN wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:

Ah Brash did handle him and even threw him off balance. What fight were you watching?

I have watched it 4 times already. He only annoyed Cairns by tugging at him, he did'nt budge very far did he? What did the tugging get Brash? It got him tired out, thats what! Cairns maintained his balance and then finished off Brash with some quality jabs. Brash was beaten, he was the one that was knocked off balance, not Cairns.
NIN

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Jamie wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:How can Cairns be considered a winner when he landed one punch? Even on the hockeyfights board where Brashear is hated the majority give him the edge in the fight because he was handling Cairns before he fell. Why would I expect any objectivity from some here though.

I watched that replay several times on Tivo. When Ciarns landed a solid punch, Brashear went to the ice. As Brashear was going down, Cairns landed two more solid punches, that hit Brash right on the button. I gave the edge to Brash before I saw that. After seeing that, now I give the edge to Cairns. If Brashear would have stayed on his feet, it would have been even worse for him IMO. He did not go down until Cairns got his arm free and started to land.

Thats exactly what I saw.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins