Brooks Orpik ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brooks Orpik ?

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:28 am

Did Brooks get benched in the 3rd period? I know the one 2nd period
flyer goal him & stick not in good defensive position... :shock: to
say the least. Or does he have an "upper body" injury?

BUT his absence did give the alternative hero ~ Eric Cairns a chance to perform.
I don't get up to see the fights or find them exciting but those 2 define how to conduct a hockey fight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Brooks Orpik ...

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 am

penny lane wrote:Did Brooks get benched in the 3rd period? I know the one 2nd period
flyer goal him & stick not in good defensive position... :shock: to
say the least. Or does he have an "upper body" injury?

BUT his absence did give the alternative hero ~ Eric Cairns a chance to perform.
I don't get up to see the fights or find them exciting but those 2 define how to conduct a hockey fight.

Yes, Coach Therrien decided to rest/bench Brooks during the 3rd period;
didnt like the way he was playing.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 43163.html
"If you're gonna bench everyone that makes one mistake, there's not going to be too many guys playing on this team," Orpik said. "At this point in the season, I'm not sure what (benching a player) accomplishes."
I like that B Orpik doesn't meekly accept ~
Also this :shock: eye-poppin stat:
His minus-1 rating is best among defensemen who've been with the Penguins for most of the season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:53 am

I gotta take Brooks' side on this one. Melichar makes mistake after mistake out there, yet he never sits. What about Gonchar before the last month or so? He never missed a shift.

Methinks there is more to this than is being said publicly.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:53 am

Maybe MT thinks he can actually get through to Brooks this way, and get some improvement in his game.

Do you honestly think benching Melichar will make him play better? Nothing short of a brain/talent transplant would accomplish that.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:31 am

BurghThing wrote:Maybe MT thinks he can actually get through to Brooks this way, and get some improvement in his game.

Do you honestly think benching Melichar will make him play better? Nothing short of a brain/talent transplant would accomplish that.

I think that Brooks is being held to a different standard than these other guys because he should be. I know he has a lot of detractors on this board, but he skates, hits and can handle the puck well enough to be a top defenseman in this league.

He needs to make better decisions, and play a more consistent style on D. I think he is being pushed out of his comfort zone, because right now his play has been good - but not great. MT is trying to get him to stop taking dumb penalties, and to not have "brain cramps" in his end. I think that the Pens see that he should be shooting to be Scott Stevens, and not settling for less.

Right now, he is a decent NHL defenseman, but he should be more. I'm not sure he expects or believes that....thus the benching. Everyone has different buttons to push, and his response about "everyone that makes one mistake" may show what the issue is. He is NOT Joe Melichar, or Rob Scuderi - he is capable of much more than them - and I believe MT is pushing him to understand that.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:10 am

I agree Snapper. I just hope MT is communicating that at some point to Orpik. We all remember how Glenn Patrick's lack of communication (and to a lesser extent CP's in Pgh.) went over with Orpik a few season's ago. I think Orpik has to learn to hold his tongue a little bit when the situation warrants it and ask the coach for a meeting if he's that perturbed by the benching. Sometimes, I don't think he sees or thinks about things like you have there. It's simple, there was reason the coach benched him. Probably, it was a small mistake he made. Obviously, the coach expects more from him, and that should be considered a good thing. Orpik needs to learn that and use it to take his game to higher levels.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SportsFan on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 am

I think Brooks should of been benched a few games ago...

When was the last time he threw a check? Very unlike him the way he has played, very non-physical.
SportsFan

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:11 pm

Pitts wrote:I agree Snapper. I just hope MT is communicating that at some point to Orpik. We all remember how Glenn Patrick's lack of communication (and to a lesser extent CP's in Pgh.) went over with Orpik a few season's ago. I think Orpik has to learn to hold his tongue a little bit when the situation warrants it and ask the coach for a meeting if he's that perturbed by the benching. Sometimes, I don't think he sees or thinks about things like you have there. It's simple, there was reason the coach benched him. Probably, it was a small mistake he made. Obviously, the coach expects more from him, and that should be considered a good thing. Orpik needs to learn that and use it to take his game to higher levels.

Yeah, the comment about not having spoken to the coaches about the benching is a little perplexing. As you say, maybe they want to see if he will come to them?

Anyway, I get the feeling that Orpik has that $1M talent and 10 cent head thing going. He needs to just "get it" and I believe his game can take a giant leap forward. I'm sure he is "working hard" in his own estimation, but I think he can be star if he just lets someone push him past his own internal limits.

Some guys are too intense, but I think he is more apt to just compete hard without being critical of himself. In his head, if he hits and works - I think he can live with the results no matter what. My point to him would be to focus now on results, because he has already proven he can play in the NHL. Now he needs to hold himself to the standards of a top defenseman in the league.

I'm not sure he considers what the team needs from him if they are going to be a playoff team.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins