The Richards/Crosby Collision...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Richards/Crosby Collision...

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:26 am

I posted months ago that Crosby has balance on his skates that rivals Forsberg and Kovalev. Both of those players would have had a hard time standing up against that hit Richards put on Crosby. I watched the replay acouple times and it is UN-REAL. Richards had all the momentum and Crosby had zero time to brace for the hit. He was heads up as usual but Richards landed the hit quarely on him. Richards went flying backwards into his own player and landed on his wallet, nearly knocking Hatcher down on him. Meanwhile Crosby landed right back on his skates and was back in the play instantaneously.

What a warrior! It's ashame that Demitrokos doesnt know how to take a hit like Crosby does. He was litterally crying tears on the ice and Brashear had to skate over and try to shield him from the cameras to try and spare him anymore embarrassment. It's ashame that we are a tougher team yet they are somehow perceived as tougher. Welcome to the age of spin....

Army=warrior

Cairns=warrior

Roy=needs to smarten up but he is a warrior at heart
NIN

Re: The Richards/Crosby Collision...

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 am

NIN wrote:I posted months ago that Crosby has balance on his skates that rivals Forsberg and Kovalev. Both of those players would have had a hard time standing up against that hit Richards put on Crosby. I watched the replay acouple times and it is UN-REAL. Richards had all the momentum and Crosby had zero time to brace for the hit. He was heads up as usual but Richards landed the hit quarely on him. Richards went flying backwards into his own player and landed on his wallet, nearly knocking Hatcher down on him. Meanwhile Crosby landed right back on his skates and was back in the play instantaneously.

What a warrior! It's ashame that Demitrokos doesnt know how to take a hit like Crosby does. He was litterally crying tears on the ice and Brashear had to skate over and try to shield him from the cameras to try and spare him anymore embarrassment. It's ashame that we are a tougher team yet they are somehow perceived as tougher. Welcome to the age of spin....

Army=warrior

Cairns=warrior

Still living in the land of rainbows and teddy bears I see NIN.
FlyerNation

Re: The Richards/Crosby Collision...

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 am

FlyerNation wrote:
NIN wrote:I posted months ago that Crosby has balance on his skates that rivals Forsberg and Kovalev. Both of those players would have had a hard time standing up against that hit Richards put on Crosby. I watched the replay acouple times and it is UN-REAL. Richards had all the momentum and Crosby had zero time to brace for the hit. He was heads up as usual but Richards landed the hit quarely on him. Richards went flying backwards into his own player and landed on his wallet, nearly knocking Hatcher down on him. Meanwhile Crosby landed right back on his skates and was back in the play instantaneously.

Army=warrior

Cairns=warrior

Still living in the land of rainbows and teddy bears I see NIN.

PAH ahhahaHAHAHA. Denial is a river that runs through Philly. That team is a bunch of posers. They try to spin them as tough but they aint got no heart...no goal-tending (especially clutch goal-tending)...and frail old FLoppa is gonna fail yinz....no Cup.....yet.....again.....

At least I can still remmeber our Cup parades like they were yesterday. 1967 is a long long time. I feel for ya!
NIN

Postby tom_servo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:44 am

Crosby barely flinched. I need a video of that moment.
tom_servo

Postby pensfan66 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:48 am

I was hoping someone would bring up that hit on Crosby last night! I watched it again about 10 times WOW!!!!! I love the look that Sid gave Richards like yeah, what else you got!! You go Boy!!
pensfan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:51 am

Everyone in the building cheered that hit like it was huge. Too bad the only person who landed on his back was Richards.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:58 am

I'm glad you can remember your cup parade. I'm sure each April it comforts you to remember what it was like not to be the worse team in the league.

Not wanting to get into an argument here but Roy isn't a warrior. He's a spot picker plain and simple. As for the Flyers being tough, they havent' been tough for years and certainly aren't now. Who said they were anyways? They probably won't go far. Goaltending is without a serious concern, as is their defense. They got by 3/4 of the season with that large blueline but now it's starting to catch up with them. When they're on thier game they can beat anyone, evident by them owning the Sens this year. They don't have the heart to play like champs night in and out. Either they lose big in the first round or they make a serious run. It all depends on which team decides to show up.

I don't gage the Flyers after Pens games because the Pens have been their toughest opponent all season.
FlyerNation

Postby topshelf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:23 am

FlyerNation wrote:I'm glad you can remember your cup parade. I'm sure each April it comforts you to remember what it was like not to be the worse team in the league.

Not wanting to get into an argument here but Roy isn't a warrior. He's a spot picker plain and simple. As for the Flyers being tough, they havent' been tough for years and certainly aren't now. Who said they were anyways? They probably won't go far. Goaltending is without a serious concern, as is their defense. They got by 3/4 of the season with that large blueline but now it's starting to catch up with them. When they're on thier game they can beat anyone, evident by them owning the Sens this year. They don't have the heart to play like champs night in and out. Either they lose big in the first round or they make a serious run. It all depends on which team decides to show up.

I don't gage the Flyers after Pens games because the Pens have been their toughest opponent all season.

I think it's more of the media that portrays the Flyers as a big, bad, and tough team. Maybe it's just the reputation the organization has from the 'Broadstreet Bully' days. That, and the fact that almost the entire team appears to be 8 feet tall when they play against the Pens, lol.

Roy could be a warrior if he had half a brain in his head. He may be a better skater and have a better shot than Cairns, but [as mentioned before] Cairns is smart about mixing it up with the other teams [save the supposed Chara spear]. He doesn't go out and slash someone in the back, hoping they fight him. That last slash cost us any chance of taking the lead.

I knew once Armstrong threw that check that the Flyers would be looking to nail Sid. He did a 'stand up' job at keeping his feet. I loved the face he gave after Richards ended up falling on his ass, lol.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guido on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am

FlyerNation wrote: It all depends on which team decides to show up.

Flyers have been streaky this year...although they have played especially well against the Sens. You'd think it'd be in Philly's interest to purposely slip to the 8th spot so the get Ottawa first :wink:

And although the Flyers dominated the season series (6-2), it was very entertaining and very competitive. Not one of the games was a blowout or remotely boring.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Guido wrote:
FlyerNation wrote: It all depends on which team decides to show up.

Flyers have been streaky this year...although they have played especially well against the Sens. You'd think it'd be in Philly's interest to purposely slip to the 8th spot so the get Ottawa first :wink:

And although the Flyers dominated the season series (6-2), it was very entertaining and very competitive. Not one of the games was a blowout or remotely boring.

On our board the other day everyone was chalking up this game vs the Pens as a gimmee. I had problems with that since the Pens have come to play every game vs us. They up their game to that next level when they play the Flyers. Now if they could just do it vs the other 28 they might go somewhere. The Pens have earned my respect in our meetings. Still hate them but at least they're not pushovers.

My son (7) is going to the Pens/Rangers game on thursday with his boys club. It was a tough decision but I went and bought him some Pens gear to wear there. Told him to cheer as loud as he could for the Pens. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the better good of the Flyers. LOL!
FlyerNation

Postby conforto45 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:23 pm

as bad as it has been the past couple seasons. we are getting the best talent available.. and the Flyers are getting.. well.. they are just getting old.

Aside from getting Gagne a few years back, and Forsberg this past year, who have they really gotten that has done anything?

Lindros? he was at home being a vegetable more then playing on the ice

Hatcher? Hes good for maybe 2 good plays a game, and atleast 2 terrible penaltys because he is slow.

who have the Pens got?

Crosby? enough said
Armstrong? maybe the hardest worker on the team. Causes many misques for the opposing defense and reason for many of our goals
Fleury? Will be one of the best goalies in the game in a few years
Orpik/Whitney/Welch? Young,talented defenseman who are only getting better
Gonchar? after a slow start, he is finally showing why he had all the hype w/ his name
Talbot/Ouelett/KK/ and the list goes on on role players that definetly make a team work
Recchi/Leclair? say what you want. they produced goals, provided leadership and, i cant really remember too many times where they hurt us w/ their play...

im not trying to knock on your team FlyerNation. but you left the door open.

im sure there are some more things you can say about our team. but whenever you look long term, which team will be hoisting the cup above their heads and be in the promise land first?
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 pm

conforto45 wrote:as bad as it has been the past couple seasons. we are getting the best talent available.. and the Flyers are getting.. well.. they are just getting old.

Aside from getting Gagne a few years back, and Forsberg this past year, who have they really gotten that has done anything?

I don't know that I would say that. In fact, I was thinking last night that the Flyers themselves have a stable of young talent that rivals the Pens. Carter, Richards, Dimitrakos, Pitkanen, Niittymaki, Umberger, Potulny is nothing to sneeze at. The Pens have the potential stars in Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, which probably gives them the edge. But I think the Flyers' stable of good youngsters is deeper.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:31 pm

conforto45 wrote:as bad as it has been the past couple seasons. we are getting the best talent available.. and the Flyers are getting.. well.. they are just getting old.

Lindros? he was at home being a vegetable more then playing on the ice

Hatcher? Hes good for maybe 2 good plays a game, and atleast 2 terrible penaltys because he is slow.

who have the Pens got?

Crosby? enough said
Armstrong? maybe the hardest worker on the team. Causes many misques for the opposing defense and reason for many of our goals
Fleury? Will be one of the best goalies in the game in a few years
Orpik/Whitney/Welch? Young,talented defenseman who are only getting better
Gonchar? after a slow start, he is finally showing why he had all the hype w/ his name
Talbot/Ouelett/KK/ and the list goes on on role players that definetly make a team work
Recchi/Leclair? say what you want. they produced goals, provided leadership and, i cant really remember too many times where they hurt us w/ their play...

im not trying to knock on your team FlyerNation. but you left the door open.

im sure there are some more things you can say about our team. but whenever you look long term, which team will be hoisting the cup above their heads and be in the promise land first?

Please. The Flyers I bet are close to the Pens in average age.

Who have they gotten? Carter, Richards, Umberger, Handzus,. Nittimaki and most importantly the best young defenseman in the league not named Phaneuf and that's arguable in Pitkanen. I'd take Pitkanen at this point over any Pen except for Fleury. Defenseman like him come along only once in a while. If he wouldn't have gotten injured he'd be pushing McCabe in scoring for defenseman. Not saying he's more talented than Crosby or the better player but Norris calibre defenseman are harder to come by than scorers. I wouldn't trade him for anybody at this point. He's the only untouchable on the team.

Contrary to what the brilliant minds around here will say the Flyers have a youth movement going on as well and still winning and in the mix. How is that worse than the Pens?
Last edited by FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlyerNation

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:

I don't know that I would say that. In fact, I was thinking last night that the Flyers themselves have a stable of young talent that rivals the Pens. Carter, Richards, Dimitrakos, Pitkanen, Niittymaki, Umberger, Potulny is nothing to sneeze at. The Pens have the potential stars in Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, which probably gives them the edge. But I think the Flyers' stable of good youngsters is deeper.
Downie as well. The Flyers are not old. Gagne is 26 and is almost a 50 goal score and still young like Handzus who is one of the most underrated players in the league.

I think sometimes people just spout off opinions like conforto's because either they don't know any better and still stuck in 04 or too lazy to put thought into it.
Last edited by FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyerNation

Postby wondermoose on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:34 pm

topshelf wrote:I loved the face he gave after Richards ended up falling on his ass, lol.

Lol yeah, he gave him his best "Are you kidding me?" look.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:35 pm

FlyerNation wrote:Please. The Flyers I bet are close to the Pens in average age.

From yesterday's game notes:

Flyers:
Active - 24 On IRL - 3 Total - 27
Average - Height: 6'2'' Weight: 209 Age: 28.8

Penguins:
Active - 21 On IRL - 4 Total - 25
Average - Height: 6'1'' Weight: 207 Age: 26.5
Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:39 pm

Admin wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:Please. The Flyers I bet are close to the Pens in average age.

From yesterday's game notes:

Flyers:
Active - 24 On IRL - 3 Total - 27
Average - Height: 6'2'' Weight: 209 Age: 28.8

Penguins:
Active - 21 On IRL - 4 Total - 25
Average - Height: 6'1'' Weight: 207 Age: 26.5

Thanks Admin. It's not that large of a gap. You'd think the Flyers would be around 34 and the Pens 22 by the way he was talking.
FlyerNation

Postby guiner on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Wait a second. I thought we were going to here some elaborate "NINsplanation" on how Richards was actually diving trying to draw a penalty...

:roll:

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 pm

guiner wrote:Wait a second. I thought we were going to here some elaborate "NINsplanation" on how Richards was actually diving trying to draw a penalty...

:roll:

g

Handzous won the Dive of the game. (.) (.) see below (<<<<those are eyeballs looking down...not boobies....

"NINsplation"...geez that was weak. :roll:
NIN

Postby Ace on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:47 pm

anyone have a link to the clip, by any chance ?!?!
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:30 pm

NIN wrote:Handzous won the Dive of the game. (.) (.) see below (<<<<those are eyeballs looking down...not boobies....

Good thing, they're kinda saggy! :P
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:06 pm

NIN wrote:Handzous won the Dive of the game. (.) (.) see below (<<<<those are eyeballs looking down...not boobies....

"NINsplation"...geez that was weak. :roll:

That he did. Grabbed the Pens stick, took a few strides and then fell. Executed with brilliance as far as diving goes.

I really don't want to harp on that dive and stuff, but could you imagine the reaction if Crosby did that same move :shock:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 pm

No reaction. That's what's expected from Crosby.

Hehehehe.

Let's see how jealous they are once Malkin is here.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Flyers youth

Postby vcip on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:48 am

The Flyers have the best young players they have had in along time. Carter, Richards, Umberger, Nitty, Pitkanan & even Meyer. Great nucleus. They just need a young stay at home d-man with size & they are in.

But FN, I know your dislike for Crosby but you are kidding yourself. Pitkanan is very good, but he is not at the level of Crosby at 18 years old let alone when Criosby gets out of his teens.

You look silly with statements like that.

How will it turn out?

Crosby vs Carter
Malkin vs Richards
Armstrong vs Umberger
Fleury vs Nitty
Whitney vs Pit
Welch vs Meyer

I think the only Flyer winner may be Pit?
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Flyers youth

Postby FlyerNation on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:44 am

vcip wrote:The Flyers have the best young players they have had in along time. Carter, Richards, Umberger, Nitty, Pitkanan & even Meyer. Great nucleus. They just need a young stay at home d-man with size & they are in.

But FN, I know your dislike for Crosby but you are kidding yourself. Pitkanan is very good, but he is not at the level of Crosby at 18 years old let alone when Criosby gets out of his teens.

You look silly with statements like that.

How will it turn out?

Crosby vs Carter
Malkin vs Richards
Armstrong vs Umberger
Fleury vs Nitty
Whitney vs Pit
Welch vs Meyer

I think the only Flyer winner may be Pit?

Silly? Please your knowledge of hockey is laughable at best. You're a politcal guy vcip, no one ever took anything you said about hockey seriously on our board.

Perhaps if you actually read what I said then maybe you wouldn't make an ass out of yourself as always. I said I wouldn't trade Pitkanen for Crosby and why is that so hard to understand. Pitkanen has been far and away the Flyers best defenseman this season if not their best player. If he wouldn't have gotten injured he'd be closing in on 70+ points at this point and a plus 25. Never did I say he was more talented or become the better player but he's the best young defenseman in the game aside from Phaneuf and he gets the hype because he's North American and he lays people out. Once Pitkanen develops his game physically which isn't that far off he'll be a beast and perennial Norris canidate. I said he's untouchable and I wouldn't trade him for almost anybody. That's not a rip on Crosby but recognition for how talented Pitkanen is and the value of a no 1 defenseman.

As for your comparisons Pit isn't the only one. It's not like Fleury is playing any stronger than Nitti or vice versa. Umberger already is at a level where Armstrong will need another season to match where he is. I'll take a Meyer over Welch predicition as well.
FlyerNation

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins