Who would like to see Cairns stay a Penguin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would like to see Cairns stay a Penguin?

Postby Scott on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am

I certainly would. Sometimes it is not what players contribute, but the effect they have on the opposing team just from sheer presence.

Cairns is not fleet of foot. He is not a shut down D-man. He is not a lot of things.

What he is though is a presence that the other team respects. At times that can be priceless. It is no coincidence that the overall picking, instigating,badgering being done to Crosby declined after his arrival.

Crosby looks like any superstar right now taking the occasional extra shot, but not the "whipping boy" he was starting to become.

Players like Cairns are hard to find. When they get on a team that appreciates them, they are held onto for a long time.

I just hope the Pens organ"I"zation appreciates him as much as the Pens players appreciate him.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:01 am

I'd keep both him and Roy at least through next season. Yes, Roy's penalty was a dumb as could be last night, but really, what are they playing for? I'd rather the message Roy intended be sent at this time. And, that was what he was doing - sending a message.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:07 am

Yeah i would like to see him and Roy stay.
I mean their two or three minutes a game acutally contributes.
keep them, their fights are amusing.
Super Slovak Surovy

7th d-man

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:13 am

He can be our 7th d-man for sure,if not top six...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:21 am

they could keep carins for a year and see if Koci ever pans out if he does there is no need for both of them and Koci is younger, so I would keep him.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:22 am

I absolutely want him back. He'd probably be better suited as a fourth line winger than as a d-man, but whatever. It's the first time in a long time (at least since Steve McKenna) :roll: that the Perns have had a nuclear deterrent. I am not opposed to bringing Roy back either, but I'd love to find somebody cheaper for that role. You need some tough guys in the lineup. Sprinkle in guys like Armsrong and Orpik, add a few more, and this team will be miserable to play against.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:25 am

Mad City Mike wrote: I am not opposed to bringing Roy back either, but I'd love to find somebody cheaper for that role.

Well, since they have to spend cap space, maybe his price-tag really isn't that bad! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tom_servo on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:25 am

He's cheap, he's big, he can fight. Why not?
tom_servo

Postby Scott on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 am

Mad City Mike wrote:I absolutely want him back. He'd probably be better suited as a fourth line winger than as a d-man, but whatever. It's the first time in a long time (at least since Steve McKenna) :roll: that the Perns have had a nuclear deterrent. I am not opposed to bringing Roy back either, but I'd love to find somebody cheaper for that role. You need some tough guys in the lineup. Sprinkle in guys like Armsrong and Orpik, add a few more, and this team will be miserable to play against.

Well put. Dont forget that if Malkin actually gets his ass over here next year, there will be 2 superstars to protect. ;)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 am

I think Cairns has a year to go on his contract and Roy definitely has two more.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reilly on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:24 am

You have to wonder if Cairns was on this team earlier in the season if things would be different. All the beatings Crosby and Palffy took early on probably wouldn't have happened. Anyway, Cairns should stay around simply because he has the balls to fight Chara.
Reilly

Postby Jim on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:24 am

Carins is the type of guy that you are really happy to have when you need him... but you don't often need...

However...

The Penguins NEED to keep players like him around to try to keep guys from taking liberties with Crobsy Malkin etc. Some guys like Armstrong might be willing, and able, to stand up for themselves, but they shouln't have to.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby alain blanc on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:36 am

Yes keep him in pittsburgh will be a good things!!He has an impact, he is a warrior!!
alain blanc

Postby jmh470 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:16 pm

I don't see why he should leave. He plays no more than 10min a game and isn't that big of a liability in his own end.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SportsFan on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:14 pm

Just what we need a Big Slow D. Lets sign Lance Ward and Brad Norton also.

Cairns can't fight like he used too, looked like he lost last night in my eyes. Brashear landed the most punches and Carins was bleeding from his mouth and nose.
:cry:
SportsFan

Postby Steve on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:28 pm

[/quote]Cairns can't fight like he used too, looked like he lost last night in my eyes. Brashear landed the most punches and Carins was bleeding from his mouth and nose.

true, but Brash's face looked pretty beat up - though it's hard to tell if it was from Cairns, as his face always looks like that.

i say keep cairns for at least another year...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:00 pm

I think Cairns should stay. He's not a top six defenseman, but he definitely serves a purpose. I'd carry him as a reserve and plug him into the lineup either as a seventh defenseman or a fourth liner whenever the Pens need some extra muscle in the lineup. If I'm not mistaken, he's already signed through next season anyway.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:01 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Sprinkle in guys like Armsrong and Orpik, add a few more, and this team will be miserable to play against.

Sounds exactly what MT loves about his teams. He wants the opponent to dread the day they play the Pittsburgh Penguins because not only do they have to deal with the likes of Sidney Crosby or scoring on Fleury, but also tread through the scrappiest young bunch in the league. I love the way that sounds.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:26 pm

Seventh defenseman. He'll probably be a top 6 guy. If he's top 4 we are in a world of trouble.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:08 pm

I won't be upset if he's here or if he's gone. He plays very little. Some nights the Pens might as well be dressing 5 defensemen.

If he's gonna dress, then play him. If he isn't gonna play, why keep him?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:38 pm

netwolf wrote:I won't be upset if he's here or if he's gone. He plays very little. Some nights the Pens might as well be dressing 5 defensemen.

I like the idea of keeping him for muscle....but I don't like the idea of him playing more than 10-12 minutes a game. Perhaps the Pens add a tough D that can play the position through free-agency and Cairns isn't as necessary. But he is a good guy to have against a team like the Flyers or Thrashers...and could be a huge asset in the playoffs.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:53 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
netwolf wrote:I won't be upset if he's here or if he's gone. He plays very little. Some nights the Pens might as well be dressing 5 defensemen.

I like the idea of keeping him for muscle....but I don't like the idea of him playing more than 10-12 minutes a game. Perhaps the Pens add a tough D that can play the position through free-agency and Cairns isn't as necessary. But he is a good guy to have against a team like the Flyers or Thrashers...and could be a huge asset in the playoffs.

10 would be plenty for him, but I've noticed him getting 5 or less on more than one occaision and sometimes it happens when they only have 6 defensemen dressed. If they dress 6 d-men and they don't trust him to play more than a few minutes, something is wrong.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dman66 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:13 pm

i'd love to see cairns stay, however, he is a big liability every time he goes out there, why not put him on the fourth line? he wont be as big a liability as a winger, he could stand in front of the net, and go make huge hits.
plus, you can have 6 dmen back there and if one would get hurt, he could always step in.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 pm

Cairns is going to retire a Penguins. He is here to stay. If Cairns gets suspeneded for 4 or 5 games for beating someones face with the penalty box door. We will get to watch Eric Johnson in his place for the call up.
NIN

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:16 am

You really need to have your tough guy play 10=15 minutes a game. Having them play 4 minutes is useless. THey need to be out there to establish themselves. If you JUST put them out to fight (as they did with Oliwa, McKenna, even Barnaby) then the other team is not "afraid" of them and will still take liberties with your stars. If he is out there for 15 minutes... the other team can't simply just keep an eye out for him... they actually have to be more careful.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins