Who would like to see Cairns stay a Penguin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:59 am

Jim wrote:You really need to have your tough guy play 10=15 minutes a game. Having them play 4 minutes is useless. THey need to be out there to establish themselves. If you JUST put them out to fight (as they did with Oliwa, McKenna, even Barnaby) then the other team is not "afraid" of them and will still take liberties with your stars. If he is out there for 15 minutes... the other team can't simply just keep an eye out for him... they actually have to be more careful.

I agree that they still need to find that Tocchet/Stevens type of skilled tough guy. However, well timed shifts can be just as effective, even more so if he is rested. The only time guys would take shots at Stevens was at the end of a long shift because they knew he was tired. Cairns could jump over after they make a hit on our guy or something. His timming was good last game.
NIN

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:06 am

Tocchet maybe... Kevin Stevens didn't fight or really intimidate. You need a guy that can, and will, fight, but can, and will, get third line time, with the occational second line duty game...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eisbahren on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Interesting stuff. I just hope that the Pens organisation appreciate what Cairns DOES bring to the table rather than concentrating on what he doesn't.

I should very much like to see him stay a Penguin, and MT, as a pragmatic coach, will hopefully do likewise.

Somebody posted about whether Crosby would have been targetted so much earlier in the season if Cairns had been on the roster from day one. I don't think so!
Eisbahren

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins