Odd man struggle on special teams

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Odd man struggle on special teams

Postby FuturePens on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:28 pm

Throughout the entire year, there have been many things that the Pens have done wrong, but lately have improved on since they dumped some of their D-man...

However, in one statistic they still struggle with on consistent bases, 4 vs. 4 hockey especially...
Seriously look at last night for example, as soon as the Flyers took a penalty on their PP to even it up at 4, I felt like there was going to be odd man rush and someone is going to take advantage of the extra space. ...and... it turned out that my feelings were true, we got scored on, not once, but TWICE on two different occations.
I just don't get it, it's always the same thing, we play 4 vs. 4, like we are down by a men or two. 7 Goals for, and 17 against on 4vs4 is just not going to cut it at the NHL level with the new rules.

Why is it so hard for the Pens to get something together when there is more room in the rink? Just look at the stats, nobody is even close to 17 goals against on a 4 vs. 4.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats

In every category the Pens have the worst stat. I know we have taken the most penalties, but it's the way we execute it that has been my problem throughout the season. One game they hustle and put pressure on the players on Pk, or 4 vs 4... other times they just drop back and await the opponent to take a good shot...

Is it the strategy, confidence, or bad coaching, or a bit of all? I can't figure it out as it has baffled my mind the entire season...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:12 pm

maybe they don't pay as close attention to 4v4 situations? Just a though. Maybe the combinations they have for 4v4 isn't as cohesive as they should be.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:01 pm

I think it's because the Pens defense isn't all that good at breaking out the puck or lugging it up. The team, as a whole does not pass well either. Those things are magnified with one less guy per side.

If you have a guy on the ice that isn't a great skater or can't pass all that well, it is easier for his teammates to make up for that in a 5 on 5 situation. In 4 on 4, there's one less teammate to help out in that regard.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:54 am

netwolf wrote:I think it's because the Pens defense isn't all that good at breaking out the puck or lugging it up. The team, as a whole does not pass well either. Those things are magnified with one less guy per side.

You're def. right about the passing, they stank at that all year long, especially turnovers by D-man in our own zone...but Gonchar has helped the cause since the Olympics lately, thank God, we only pay him a fifth of our cap.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins