Thank you, once again, Andre Roy!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thank you, once again, Andre Roy!

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:10 pm

Once again you picked the asolute worst moment to take one of your trademark idiotic penalties, thus costing your team the game. Who came back from three goals down on top of it. Way to go. Way to go!!! How often did this happen now? What do you think that was? Sticking up for your teammate? I'm sure Carter barely even felt your little tug.
By rights it should be the other 29 teams in the league and not the Pens paying you. Now, your teammates probably didn't say anything in the lockerroom after the game BUT I SURE HOPE THE COACH TOLD YOU WHAT AN INCREDIBLE JERK YOU ARE!

Scratch him the rest of the way, then try to get rid of him. Shoot him if necessary. Man, I'm still po'd...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:13 pm

I thought it was a really bad call, personally.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tocchet on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:17 pm

It was an atrocious call, but Roy can't go running after someone immediately upon getting on the ice since both refs will be watching him and quick to whistle the slightest bit of goonery.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfannn on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:48 pm

I had absolutely no problem with what Roy did.

First of all, bad call, but whatever.

Second of all - it's about the LONG TERM. If teams know that they are subject to physical punishment for head-hunting, or playing dirty, or even overly hard checks, then Roy just did his job.

Do NOT scratch Roy. Do NOT trade/release Roy. Do NOT scratch Cairns. Do NOT trade/release Cairns. If they do release or trade either one, replace him with an upgrade like George LaRaque.

If any Pens fans want to see Crosby play into his 30's, then top shelf enforcers are a NECCESSITY. No one has to look any further than Eric Lindros to see an example of a great career diminshed by a lack of protection.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:58 pm

I think Lindros' concussion problems are more a result of his playing with his head down than anything. Not to mention he's a physical player anyway. I find it hard to believe those Flyers teams couldn't protect him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:06 pm

I didn't see it, but I know Phil Bourque thought it was one of the worsts calls he's ever seen and Therrien had a chance to blast Roy for the penalty in the paper, but did not. He seemed to think it was a bad call also.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:08 pm

Oh yeah, I'm sure Carter learned his lesson. You call that physical punishment? Fine, so whenever somebody hits Sid (it was a clean hit, and it wasn't even Sid who fell down, it was Carter himself) send Roy out there so that he can give the perp a tug. As long as Roy displays no sense of when the time is right to send a message and when the time is absolutely not right to, he will only hurt the team.

LONG TERM the other team's game plan will look like this: give Sid a little swipe, wait for Roy to come out, cash in on the PP. Two points, thank you.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:10 pm

It was not a bad call. Roy went high to his head with both hands, and the refs let that slide. If Roy would have left it at that he would have been fine, but no, being the brainiac that he is had to get in the slash also. It was an easy call to make. Those calls have been going against us all season, Roy had to know that.

Roy needs to realize there is a right time to do that, and a wrong time. With less than 9 minutes left and a tie game, is the wrong time. The Pens had a chance to damage the Flyers bid to win the division. That is worth playing for. As a result of Roy's actions, the Pens lost that opportunity.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:15 pm

Sorry, but does it really matter if it was a bad call or a good call? I do think it was a weak call, but Roy came out and went right after Carter to slash him. It wasn't a vicious slash and he barely touched him, but I was not surprised that it was called.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:23 pm

roy shouldnt have been on the ice at the time anyway... mistake by the coach too
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Jamie wrote:It was not a bad call. Roy went high to his head with both hands, and the refs let that slide. If Roy would have left it at that he would have been fine, but no, being the brainiac that he is had to get in the slash also. It was an easy call to make. Those calls have been going against us all season, Roy had to know that.

Roy needs to realize there is a right time to do that, and a wrong time. With less than 9 minutes left and a tie game, is the wrong time. The Pens had a chance to damage the Flyers bid to win the division. That is worth playing for. As a result of Roy's actions, the Pens lost that opportunity.

My thoughts exactly. Bad call or good call...it does not matter. There was no reason for the slash. It was a selfish play. You don't do things like that at that point of the game especially if you have a rep like Roy and you are standing right in front of the ref.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWW on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:36 am

scals37 wrote:roy shouldnt have been on the ice at the time anyway... mistake by the coach too

perhaps it was planed ? making sure that the pens will finish last mght be the no. 1 priority right now.

I like conspiracy theories ;-)
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:42 am

Gaucho wrote:Sorry, but does it really matter if it was a bad call or a good call? I do think it was a weak call, but Roy came out and went right after Carter to slash him. It wasn't a vicious slash and he barely touched him, but I was not surprised that it was called.

You're entitled to your opinion but it was Richards, not Carter.

Carter scored the goal, but Richards was the one who checked Crosby/Roy "slashed".
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens87 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:48 am

scals37 wrote:roy shouldnt have been on the ice at the time anyway... mistake by the coach too

therrien said he was in because hilbert was hurt and rita has a problem with his skate.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:06 am

Ok, it was Richards, not Carter. Which, of course, doesn't change my mind. 8)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am

Btw, Therrien was quoted in the Post-Gazette that "Andre took a bad penalty."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:55 am

I think the point is that if you are Andre Roy and you are going to lay your stick on someone else knowing full well you are being watched by the refs make the frickin whack count. Give him a charlie horse at least instead of a stupid little love tap that does nothing.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins