Current roster and salarys

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Current roster and salarys

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:40 pm

Looking for input as to if this list from TSN is correct. If it is correct I calculate the payroll at 21.67M total. Starting this thread to contemplate which salaries will be off the books for next season and how much cap space will be logically available for signings.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8971&hubname=
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Someone made a topic a while ago that said the Pens would be in salary cap hell, but I don't see how that possibly could be the case.

Not too many salaries will be coming off the books at this point because a lot of guys already were traded. Boguniecki, Odelein, and VandenBussche are UFAs and almost certainly are gone.

Some guys are due for new contracts. Fleury, Orpik, and Malone are the most prominent. All should get raises. I think Armstrong's in that category as well. I'd imagine borderline guys like Rita, Ouellet, Surovy, and Endicott would get two-way deals at best.

I think the bonuses for Crosby and Fleury get tacked on to next year's cap.

I doubt LeClair will be back. I think he's going to want a trade, and if he doesn't get it, he could just retire.

In any event, our payroll is going to be low, maybe even under the minimum. We could be put in a position where we HAVE to spend some money. In that situation, I'd look for overpaid guys who are at the end of their contracts that still can bring something to a team. Mike Peca is one such player. He'd be perfect for our third line, and I'm sure Edmonton would love to have him off the books.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:22 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Mike Peca is one such player. He'd be perfect for our third line, and I'm sure Edmonton would love to have him off the books.

If there's anything we need, it's certainly 3rd line talent.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:24 pm

I also came up with this list of free agents from various sources. Is it correct?

Eric Boguniecki, (III)
Dennis Bonvie, (III)
Chris Kelleher, (III)
Alain Nasreddine, (III)
Lyle Odelein, (III)
Lasse Pirjeta, (III)
Ryan Vandenbussche, (III)

Matt Hussey, (VI)
David Koci, (VI)
Guillaume Lefebvre, (VI)
Ross Lupaschuk, VI)
Matt Murley, (VI)
Dany Sabourin, (VI)
Robert Scuderi, (VI)
Michal Sivek, (VI)
Martin Strbak, (VI)

Andy Chiodo, (II)
Drew Fata, (II)
Marc-Andre Fleury, (II)
Andy Hilbert, (II)
Krystoffer Kolanos, (II)
Konstantin Koltsov, (II)
Milan Kraft, (II)
Ryan Malone, (II)
Niklas Nordgren, (II)
Brooks Orpik, (II)
Alexander Rouleau, (II)
Tomas Surovy, (II)
Petr Taticek, (II)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Well, the Pens really DON'T have good third line players. They have guys who probably aren't good enough for the top two lines, but they have few guys who would be part of a third line on a really good team. One thing they absolutely need to get is a right-handed centerman who can win faceoffs. Someone like Peca or Halpern would be perfect. Besides being strong on draws, they have some offensive ability and are pesky. That's something this team needs. I like Koltsov as a third liner. Hilbert maybe too. He seems like a pretty smart player.

I'm just using that as an example. Clearly, they have more pressing needs. They need at least one good defensive defenseman. They could use a top two line winger either for Crosby or Malkin. But they'd certainly be smart to try and get a guy like Peca or Halpern.

Ron, that list looks about right to me. I'm surprised to see Scuderi on that list... I know he signed a two-year deal at some point. Was one of those years wiped out because of the lockout? If that's the case, I don't think I'd bring him back. He's redundant with Melichar around. I don't think Scuderi's a top six defenseman.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:29 pm

I removed Kraft and Lasse, cause thats wrong.

Eric Boguniecki, (III)
Dennis Bonvie, (III)
Chris Kelleher, (III)
Alain Nasreddine, (III)
Lyle Odelein, (III)

Matt Hussey, (VI)
David Koci, (VI)
Guillaume Lefebvre, (VI)
Ross Lupaschuk, VI)
Matt Murley, (VI)
Dany Sabourin, (VI)
Robert Scuderi, (VI)
Michal Sivek, (VI)
Martin Strbak, (VI)

Andy Chiodo, (II)
Drew Fata, (II)
Marc-Andre Fleury, (II)
Andy Hilbert, (II)
Krystoffer Kolanos, (II)
Konstantin Koltsov, (II)
Ryan Malone, (II)
Niklas Nordgren, (II)
Brooks Orpik, (II)
Alexander Rouleau, (II)
Tomas Surovy, (II)
Petr Taticek, (II)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Rita is an RFA. Endicott should be too.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:44 pm

I saw somewhere where Endicott signed a multi year contract prior to the lockout. I think he still has a year left. Rita, I don't know but I will add him if someone confirms that.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:45 pm

Peca is and has been over-rated, and is certainly over-priced by this point in his career. If there's money under cap that is required to be spent, putting it towards a finishing winger or veteran top-2 d-man is what they need to do.

You can fill in 3rd line centers, etc once you have a nucleus in place otherwise. A role player can be had for a draft pick once the Pens are in postion to be buyers instead of sellers come trade time.

It's silly to spend the money on that type of player as a free agent in the current NHL, especially given our needs.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:51 pm

You're not telling me anything I don't know. I said a top two line winger and a legit defensive defenseman are more pressing needs. But a good two-way center who can win faceoffs is right behind. The Pens should be doing everything they can to improve for next year. Because they don't necessarily have all the pieces in place, they shouldn't worry about "minor" things like a strong faceoff man?

Peca IS overrated, but that's because he's been miscast as a top center. That's not what he is. But he still wins faceoffs, he still can score some, and he still is a pest. All I'm saying is, if the Pens' payroll really is that low, they're going to have to spend money, and they're going to have money to spend. All I'm saying is if the free agent route isn't too friendly, try filling needs by taking overpaid guys who will be given away by other teams to clear cap space. If we have to spend the money anyway, you might as well try and get guys who fill needs that other teams don't want to pay.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:17 pm

I said at the start of the season that the biggest mistake CP made was not signing a good face off center. I also suggested Peca, but was railed here as he is severly hated. I also suggested that we try to sign Tim Connolly away from the Sabres and was busted on pretty heavily. How did that turn out?

I don't think Peca's in the cards or the answer for next year. We need to make sure we try and get an ace faceoff guy for defensive zone drops though. To rely on our kids to consistently pull that off is foolish, a 10 min/game vet is a worthwhile investment.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Henry Hank wrote:We could be put in a position where we HAVE to spend some money. In that situation, I'd look for overpaid guys who are at the end of their contracts

Craig Patrick, is that you?

If they brought in Peca or a similar player and we lost games 4-3 instead of 6-3 next season, everyone would be crying for him to retire and that we're over-paying for a player we didn't need (see LeClair). We need a scoring winger or two for that matter.

Winning faceoffs is important, but there's no questioning that we have several players that could fill that role for years to come already in the organization. What we don't have is anyone to play wing with 2 of the best young centers in the world.

You need to first fill the needs that the top lines have. Once those are in place, you make a move to complete the team. My point was that you don't bring in a 3rd line center as a free agent as the player you sign because you're under cap room, as you suggested. You bring in someone that's going to visibly improve the team and make it more exciting to watch. Then, as a buyer at trading time, you can grab a guy towards the end of his contract to win faceoffs, make the back checking plays, and complete your team.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:56 pm

You're missing my point. The Pens' salary could be so low that they're under the minimum. If they're in a position where they HAVE to spend money to get above that threshold, and they have trouble luring free agents, then I think they should look for good players that can help fill our needs that are overpaid and at the end of their contracts. Teams will be willing to give them up for little to get rid of their contracts. We can afford to take their contracts because our salary cap number will be so low.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Sure, that's a good way to get players. However, it doesn't solve any kind of long-term issues. If you bring in an overpaid end of contract player, they'll hopefully be gone in a year. Now, you have a hole. The current CBA makes development and young talent incredibly important, and these temporary and pricy fixes aren't going to cut it.

Like I said, we have some needs for players that we can't currently fill from within the system. Third line grinders are not one of those needs, and the Peca example made the collective LGP Craig Patrick fan club rejoice.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:13 pm

Not to let this thread get to sidetracked, but I'm looking for free agent status feedback and/or problems with the current salary listing on TSN. A lot of these guys will not be in Pittsburgh next year that are free agents. No GM is going to overpay for anyone on the list except maybe Fleury.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:59 pm

It saddens me to see that Enditcott makes 450k a year. He must have a really nice four leaf clover or something.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanBryan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:34 am

Rita is a rule VI UFA, he is 25 yrs old, and by season end he will have only played in 65 games. Hilbert was a rule VI, but he hit game 80 against Philly on Tuesday. Also Scuderi signed a 2 year deal, so he needs to be taken off the VI list.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:07 am

Updated for Scuderi off list, Hilbert and Rita to group VI. Any other comments or corrections?

Eric Boguniecki, (III)
Dennis Bonvie, (III)
Chris Kelleher, (III)
Alain Nasreddine, (III)
Lyle Odelein, (III)
Lasse Pirjeta, (III)

Andy Hilbert, (VI)
Matt Hussey, (VI)
David Koci, (VI)
Guillaume Lefebvre, (VI)
Ross Lupaschuk, VI)
Matt Murley, (VI)
Dany Sabourin, (VI)
Michal Sivek, (VI)
Martin Strbak, (VI)
Jani Rita, (VI)

Andy Chiodo, (II)
Drew Fata, (II)
Marc-Andre Fleury, (II)
Krystoffer Kolanos, (II)
Konstantin Koltsov, (II)
Milan Kraft, (II)
Ryan Malone, (II)
Niklas Nordgren, (II)
Brooks Orpik, (II)
Alexander Rouleau, (II)
Tomas Surovy, (II)
Petr Taticek, (II)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:18 am

Ron` wrote:Andy Hilbert, (VI)
Guillaume Lefebvre, (VI)
Dany Sabourin, (VI)
Jani Rita, (VI)

Marc-Andre Fleury, (II)
Krystoffer Kolanos, (II)
Ryan Malone, (II)
Niklas Nordgren, (II)
Brooks Orpik, (II)
Petr Taticek, (II)

These are the only guys I definately want resigned either for their value on the ice, potential value, or just want to see more of them before I give up on them.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:02 am

Jim,

I think Hilbert and Fleury are givens. Contracts that have to be settled. I'd also take a stab at signing Armstrong to a longer term deal before he overprices his abilities by playing with Crosby. This guy has character and a nose for the net.

I'd let Rita go unless he signs a two way contract. I don't believe in signing a guy to a one way contract to play his way into the lineup.

I'm not sure Malone doesn't walk as someone will likely offer him an overvalued contract. Good size, can contribute, but too inconsistent a work ethic for me to pay alot.

Oprik is a wild card here too. If he was not Group II, I'd say he would be gone for the same reasons as Malone. The rest of the group II guys (Kolanos, Kotsov, Nordgren etc) will be retained unless they demand a one way contract or overprice their value.

Guys I think will be resigned cheaply back into the organization for depth are Chiodo, Nasreddine and Murley with two way and/or league minimum contracts.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:09 am

I didn't mean to say try to sign these guys ONLY... I just meant that I would like to see those guys get a serious offer. THe Pens have a trend of just letting guys leave.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:15 am

Jim, I'm not arguing with you. I was just giving my thoughts on how the list will pan out.

They let them go if they demand too much for their talent. They let them go if they are marginal/unproven NHL players wanting one way contracts. Is that a bad philosophy? Usually not. Once in awhile it blows up in your face.

Maybe we have a new arena and GM next year, maybe things change. My thoughts are based on the current regime staying in place for another season.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins