NHL strikes back in their fight with Russian Federation

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL strikes back in their fight with Russian Federation

Postby Tomas on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Unlike the Olympics, where NHL had to permit all their players to participate based on the CBA, the NHL teams consider not granting any permissions to their Russian players to play at the WC.

According to hokej.cz (quoting Russian daily Sport-Express) WSH GM McPhee has not allowed Alex Ovechkin to play yet, and considers reassigning him to Hershey or ordering him to take a rest. Similarly, Isles will reassign their goalie Denis Grebeshkov to the minors afer the end of their season as well.

Consequently, Russian Federation will send their top official Mikhail Magrelov to the States to negotiate with Gary Bettman and IIFH president Rene Fasel (April 26). Bettman is allegedly in favor of allowing Russians to play, but expects consessions from the counterparty.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Finally they play hardball with the Russians.

I never thought I would praise McPhee. I need a shower now.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:27 pm

That's fantastic. Every team in the league needs to do this. One has to think the Russians knew this was coming though. Recall that they had virtually no NHLers on their roster anyway.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Very nice move. Just keep in mind though, that these players are still likely loyal to their countries.

Imagine CP telling Sid that he's not going to get to play for Canada after all.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tomas on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:That's fantastic. Every team in the league needs to do this. One has to think the Russians knew this was coming though. Recall that they had virtually no NHLers on their roster anyway.

Actually, the article quotes the Russian Headcoach Krikunov who admitted that he was surprised by this new development.

The reason why there are so few NHLers on the Russian roster is that after the Olympics, the NHLers criticized their coach for poor coaching. He fired back by blasting the players for their poor work ethic, and said that the WC team will be based on the players from RHL instead.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Tomas wrote:Actually, the article quotes the Russian Headcoach Krikunov who admitted that he was surprised by this new development.

The reason why there are so few NHLers on the Russian roster is that after the Olympics, the NHLers criticized their coach for poor coaching. He fired back by blasting the players for their poor work ethic, and said that the WC team will be based on the players from RHL instead.

That's even better news then. I put 1 and 1 together and got 3. Howver, 2 was the correct answer :oops: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guido on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:19 pm

so this is a positive step to getting Malkin over then? Possibly hammer out a transfer agreement and all.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWW on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:40 pm

I wouldn´t be to optimistic about it.

playing hardball, yes.

But do the Russians really need their NHL talent ? I doubt it.

The last WCs teams ( Except the during the lockout) consisted mainly of RHL players, if I recall correctly.
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Very nice move. Just keep in mind though, that these players are still likely loyal to their countries.

Imagine CP telling Sid that he's not going to get to play for Canada after all.

I am sure that teams have clauses that limit outside activities. With Ovechkin, McPhee has the option of sending him to the minors. I doubt Ovechkin has the option of declining.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Right, that's my point.
"Gee Alexander, great year. However, we think you need some conditioning. And you can't play for Russia. Ok, see ya in 5 months!"
Way to keep the future of your franchise happy.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:30 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Right, that's my point.
"Gee Alexander, great year. However, we think you need some conditioning. And you can't play for Russia. Ok, see ya in 5 months!"
Way to keep the future of your franchise happy.

Oh, didn't get that you were talking about ticking off the player. I thought you were saying that the teams have no control over this.

I agree that Alex would be pissed. I think the best move is to put him in the AHL to get playoff experience.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins