Cory Cross steady Red Wings D-man

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cory Cross steady Red Wings D-man

Postby FuturePens on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:39 am

Can anyone tell me why Cory Cross is good enough to be a steady playing D-man for the Red Wings, but was not for our Pens?

He's been in the lineup on regular basis since; the Red Wings March 10: Acquired defenseman Cory Cross from the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 2007 fourth-round pick.

I mean he's 35 years old, but don't you think that he could have been a the veteran D-man that we needed in our lineup. There is got to be something good about him if the best team in the league aquired him...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/p ... atsId=1008

Your thoughts.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ace on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:03 am

Well i didn't see Cross play much as a Pens, he was only here for 6 games, but when he was with Toronto, all TO fans wanted him out, when he was with Edmonton, he was the whipping boy there as well, so maybe it says something about him.

As for why is he good enough for the Wings, first overall, but not for Pens last overall, is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. The Wings need ex Pens in the lineup to win, and i will explain my theory. During the 90's the 2 most dominating teams were the Pens and RedWings. The early 90's belonged to the Pens, and the Wings realized to win, they must get people from the organization:

Ex Pens who went to Detroit:
Scotty Bowman
Ken Wregget
Paul Coffey
Larry Murphy
Dmitri Mironov
Jason Woolley
Mike Ramsay
Frederik Olausson
Jiri Slegr
Cory Cross
Ulf Samuelsson
Luc Robitaille
Doug Brown
Bob Errey
Tomas Sandstrom
Mikael Samuelsson

As you can see, they have a fetish for ex Pens Defensemen, moreso than any other position. Although that coach may have had something to do with the cup wins, i think its a matter of having an ex Pen defenseman that puts the Wings over the top.

Conspiracy theory.....who will be the next one....keep watching !!!
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby langano on Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:36 am

Great, the Pens are Detroits farm team.
langano

Postby Pitts on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:08 am

Maybe he likes playing for a contender, rather than a bottom feeder better. Thus, his improved play.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:58 am

Ace wrote:Well i didn't see Cross play much as a Pens, he was only here for 6 games, but when he was with Toronto, all TO fans wanted him out, when he was with Edmonton, he was the whipping boy there as well, so maybe it says something about him.

As for why is he good enough for the Wings, first overall, but not for Pens last overall, is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. The Wings need ex Pens in the lineup to win, and i will explain my theory. During the 90's the 2 most dominating teams were the Pens and RedWings. The early 90's belonged to the Pens, and the Wings realized to win, they must get people from the organization:

Ex Pens who went to Detroit:
Scotty Bowman
Ken Wregget
Paul Coffey
Larry Murphy
Dmitri Mironov
Jason Woolley
Mike Ramsay
Frederik Olausson
Jiri Slegr
Cory Cross
Ulf Samuelsson
Luc Robitaille
Doug Brown
Bob Errey
Tomas Sandstrom
Mikael Samuelsson

As you can see, they have a fetish for ex Pens Defensemen, moreso than any other position. Although that coach may have had something to do with the cup wins, i think its a matter of having an ex Pen defenseman that puts the Wings over the top.

Conspiracy theory.....who will be the next one....keep watching !!!

That is increadible. I remember some of them going to the Wings, but that is more than I thought.
Your conspiracy may just be true ! :P
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:02 pm

what's even more funny is that the Wings only have one regulation loss with him in the line up in his 14 games he's played.
Reilly

Postby bse on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Detroit is a better overall team, thus Cross is not pressured as much. And I don't mean just mentally; their defence has it a lot easier than ours. The Wings mostly control the play too, unlike the lesser teams such as the Pens. With his current team he can just concentrate on playing it easy and within set guidelines of his own role. He doesn't have to cover for somebody else either. That I believe, explains why he's better in Detroit than in Pittsburgh.

Now, put him in a team like the Capitals and he instantly becomes worse player.. I believe a guy like Rob Scuderi, a similar player to Cross in terms of positioning, would also benefit from playing for the Wings (in a similar role).

Take Andreas Lilja and place him on the Penguins lineup and I doubt he would be as good as he's in Detroit.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Reilly wrote:what's even more funny is that the Wings only have one regulation loss with him in the line up in his 14 games he's played.

:roll:
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Tonight against the Stars Cory had an assist as he played 15 minutes.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 pm

I could care less what he does on another team. He stunk when he was here. I only care what he did in a Penguin uniform.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 am

Cross got into a fight tonight and apparenlty won. I'll try and find a video
Reilly

Postby netwolf on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:26 am

Tikkanen wrote:
netwolf wrote:I could care less what he does on another team. He stunk when he was here. I only care what he did in a Penguin uniform.

Care to elaborate on that? Exacty how did he stink? Because I saw just a normal stay at home d-man who played like 6 minutes a game for 6 games and was benched and scratched for pretty much no reason until the trade deadline, where we did end up pulling a nice 2nd round pick for him.

Maybe stunk is too strong a word, but I saw a guy that was slow of foot and slow to react. The other facets of his game were average at best.

I suppose (to be fair) that he did not get that much of an opportunity here.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:35 am

The only thing about Cross that ever stuck out to me was seeing guys blow right past him a few times. Talk about slow and immobile.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:45 am

This game highlight has the Cross fight

http://prodtsn.tsn.ca/audio_video/video ... reel=25524
Reilly

Postby pfim on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:40 am

Pitts wrote:Maybe he likes playing for a contender, rather than a bottom feeder better. Thus, his improved play.

He should like playing for anyone. He's a career 6th defenseman who is playing on a deep team, he didn't get better at 35. There will always be guys like Cory Cross available.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zscout on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:40 am

pfim wrote: He's a career 6th defenseman who is playing on a deep team, he didn't get better at 35. There will always be guys like Cory Cross available.

Why did Patrick bother with him when he traded Tarnstrom?
Why not get a long shot defensemen loke Danny Syvret or the fourth round pick from Edmonton?
Cross was a known commodity and if Patrick traded Tarnstrom because he actually believed he got a diamond in the rough in Rita, than he has proven again that resigning him would be an error.
Rita will not be on next years team so essentially Patrick got zip a fourth round pick for Tarnstrom.
Zscout

Postby pfim on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 am

Zscout wrote:
pfim wrote: He's a career 6th defenseman who is playing on a deep team, he didn't get better at 35. There will always be guys like Cory Cross available.

Why did Patrick bother with him when he traded Tarnstrom?
Why not get a long shot defensemen loke Danny Syvret or the fourth round pick from Edmonton?
Cross was a known commodity and if Patrick traded Tarnstrom because he actually believed he got a diamond in the rough in Rita, than he has proven again that resigning him would be an error.
Rita will not be on next years team so essentially Patrick got zip a fourth round pick for Tarnstrom.

Cross's salary helped defray Tarnstrom's for the Oilers, the only reason he was included in the deal. Getting rid of Danny Syvret or giving up a 4th rounder doesn't help Edmonton at all.

He traded Tarstrom because he sucks and got his (and then Cross's) salary of the books. Tarnstrom hasn't scored a point in 6 weeks. I disagree about Rita, he'll be on the team next year, although he's strictly a 4th liner at this point.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zscout on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:32 pm

Tikkanen wrote:I'll disagree further on Rita. The guy works hard, skates hard, is very sound defensively, and has some skill to back it up. He's nothing more than a 3rd line guy at this point, but he can be quite valuable on that 3rd line.

3rd liner? - would you replace Malone with him? LeClair? or Koltsov? In my estimate they are the top 3 third liners the team has. Rita falls behind Hilbert, Surovy, Lefebvre, and Talbot. The third line is very important, but you can't stock a team with third line talent and expect to be successful.
Zscout

Postby puckeye on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:03 pm

netwolf wrote:
Tikkanen wrote:
netwolf wrote:I could care less what he does on another team. He stunk when he was here. I only care what he did in a Penguin uniform.

Care to elaborate on that? Exacty how did he stink? Because I saw just a normal stay at home d-man who played like 6 minutes a game for 6 games and was benched and scratched for pretty much no reason until the trade deadline, where we did end up pulling a nice 2nd round pick for him.

Maybe stunk is too strong a word, but I saw a guy that was slow of foot and slow to react. The other facets of his game were average at best.

I suppose (to be fair) that he did not get that much of an opportunity here.

He is strictly a depth player only playing due to injuries (Schneider). I seen him play a couple games against CBJ and he looked the same as he did in Pgh. Even our worthless announcer (Jeff Rimer) noted how bad he was.

getting anything for him should be considered a steal
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins