Morozov paid his dues - time after time....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Morozov paid his dues - time after time....

Postby Tomas on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:05 pm

He,s done his sentence - but committed no crime
And bad mistakes - He's made a few
He's had his share of sand kicked in his face - but he's come through

And now
He is the champion - my friends! :lol:

Today, he went 1+1 and helped his team AK Bars Kazan to beat Avangard Omsk 3:1, winning the RHL finals series 3:0.

Morozov also won the play-offs scoring series by a landslide - 26 points (13+13) in just 13 games. Evgeni Malkin stayed in the 3rd place despite his team being eliminated in the semifinals.

http://www.global-sport.ru/stats/topten ... nament=145
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Морозов > Малкин

:lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 pm

I don't know if the word "WOW" does this justice but there you go.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:13 pm

That league is supposed to be the best league outside of the NHL, right? I wonder how much of Morozov averaging a goal and an assist per game through the playoffs has to do with him being comfortable in his homeland and how much of it is him being a better player than last seen here.

I mean, he was streaky (good and bad) here, but he never went on a tear like that. It's seems he's done very well for himself in Russia. Now the question for him is, does he want to continue to do well there, or is he ready to take another shot at the NHL with any team?

He is UFA now, and I would think after two strong years in that league someone would be willing to take a chance on him with the right contract (low base, incentive driven).
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:49 pm

netwolf wrote:That league is supposed to be the best league outside of the NHL, right? I wonder how much of Morozov averaging a goal and an assist per game through the playoffs has to do with him being comfortable in his homeland and how much of it is him being a better player than last seen here.

I mean, he was streaky (good and bad) here, but he never went on a tear like that. It's seems he's done very well for himself in Russia. Now the question for him is, does he want to continue to do well there, or is he ready to take another shot at the NHL with any team?

He is UFA now, and I would think after two strong years in that league someone would be willing to take a chance on him with the right contract (low base, incentive driven).

:D Looks like we may be in agreement finally. I think Morozov is going to get alot of consideration around the league and the Pens should be one of those teams because of Malkin. A fellow countryman on the wing would help out alot and 1-2 million/year is what Morozov will get from a team if he comes here next season.
NIN

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:54 pm

If Patrick is here, Morozov will have no interest in coming back here. Why should he? He's already been dissed by CP, and now that he is a commodity he isn't going to give him a break.

Hopefully CP is gone within the next 48 hrs, and they hire somebody pronto to help repair the damage.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:24 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:If Patrick is here, Morozov will have no interest in coming back here. Why should he? He's already been dissed by CP, and now that he is a commodity he isn't going to give him a break.

Hopefully CP is gone within the next 48 hrs, and they hire somebody pronto to help repair the damage.

As if there was'nt enough reason to replace Patrick.

Morozov will come here if there is a new coach (meaning not Edzo so that's done), a new GM, new rules (check), and the oppertunity to play with Crosby and Malkin.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:33 pm

why does everyone want Morozov back? He sucked when he was here.
Reilly

Postby Pitts on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:42 pm

netwolf wrote:That league is supposed to be the best league outside of the NHL, right? I wonder how much of Morozov averaging a goal and an assist per game through the playoffs has to do with him being comfortable in his homeland and how much of it is him being a better player than last seen here.

The Pens should give him another chance with Malkin coming next season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh470 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 pm

It's a shame CP burned the bridge between the Pens and Morozov. Another lasting legacy of our soon-to-be-former GM.

I hate to say I told you so, but I defended Morozov during the summer when it was fashionable to hate on him.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:09 pm

netwolf wrote:Морозов > Малкин

:lol:

Using that logic, this is what follows:

Морозов > Малкин
Малкин > овечкин
овечкин > Crosby
Морозов > Crosby

Holy moly.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:17 pm

I don't want any part of Morozov. This team does not need soft underachievers.

On the subject, I think too big a deal is made about Malkin needing to have a Russian winger. Ovechkin didn't need a Russian linemate to succeed. Why should Malkin?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't want any part of Morozov. This team does not need soft underachievers.

On the subject, I think too big a deal is made about Malkin needing to have a Russian winger. Ovechkin didn't need a Russian linemate to succeed. Why should Malkin?

Ovechkin speaks English very well. Malkin doesn't know a word of it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I don't want any part of Morozov. This team does not need soft underachievers.

So therefore Malkin needs a russian winger? :roll:
Reilly

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:09 pm

Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Let me ask you a question. Would rather have a gifted russian speaking winger on Malkins line entering the best years of his career or Oullete? Or Rita? Or how about Koltsov?
NIN

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:04 pm

NIN wrote:
Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Let me ask you a question. Would rather have a gifted russian speaking winger on Malkins line entering the best years of his career or Oullete? Or Rita? Or how about Koltsov?

I'd rather have a player who's better than Morozov which there are about 400 players in the NHL that are.
Reilly

Postby guiner on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:18 pm

Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:

:roll:
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:38 pm

Reilly wrote:
NIN wrote:
Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I'd rather have a player who's better than Morozov which there are about 400 players in the NHL that are.

:D Me too! Unfortunately they don't have the luxery of picking and choosing from evey possible winger in the league. There are a select few talented UFA wingers out there this summer and Morozov is about as good as any of them. He could be a good bargain.

Morozov probably knows that he would benifit from playing along side Malkin and at times Crosby then just about anywhere else. Here, he will get the icetime he desires to establish himself as a good NHL winger. With centers like those kids he could rack up alot of points and make alot of money for himself when he goes back on the market after this summers contract is up.

It would appear to make good business sense and the Penguins could certainly use him now.

They could trade for a better winger but who will they trade?
NIN

Postby Steve on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:07 pm

I'll take Koltsov any day of the week over Morozov. Sure, both may go 40 games without scoring (as Morozov did), but at least Koltsov will do things that Morozov won't - i.e. Skate, hit, backcheck and kill penalties.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:14 pm

Morozov sucks in the NHL. There are plenty of guys that have scored in the RSL or Czech that couldn't match that production in the NHL. Conversely there are plenty of guys that didn't score much in the defensively oriented RSL that have scored much more in the NHL. There really is no correlation between the two leagues.

Morozov has probably played ~ 500 NHL games. That data is obviously more indicative of his NHL scoring potential than a 13 game RSL playoff or ~ 50 RSL regular season.

Even Pavel Bure, the GM of Team Russia in the Olympics thought Morozov sucked. Between regular players and injury replacements he picked 4 or 5 RSL guys over Morozov that didn't match Morozov's RSL production.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:45 pm

No, but AO did have the lithuanian Zubrus on his line... once part of the Russian/Soviet sphere...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby enenvee on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:19 am

In regards to Morozov I just keep thinking of the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me."
enenvee
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DanThePensFan on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:41 am

Amazing what a little "positive reinforcement" from the Russian Mob will do for you..........
DanThePensFan

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 am

Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06107/682749-61.stm

Just like they did with Jagr so many years ago. A Russian speaking wing would be great. And, it looks like Gonchar was brought in for much more than his offensive play.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:35 am

Pitts wrote:Just like they did with Jagr so many years ago. A Russian speaking wing would be great. And, it looks like Gonchar was brought in for much more than his offensive play.

I have no problem with them finding a Russian winger for Malkin. I would have a huge problem if that winger is Morozov. There is nothing in the way that Morozov plays the game that I want Malkin emulating. He would only pick up bad habits by watching and listening to Morozov. No, if they bring in a Russian winger, it has to be someone who knows how to play the NHL game, not the RSL game.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins