Morozov paid his dues - time after time....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
Pitts wrote:Just like they did with Jagr so many years ago. A Russian speaking wing would be great. And, it looks like Gonchar was brought in for much more than his offensive play.

I have no problem with them finding a Russian winger for Malkin. I would have a huge problem if that winger is Morozov. There is nothing in the way that Morozov plays the game that I want Malkin emulating. He would only pick up bad habits by watching and listening to Morozov. No, if they bring in a Russian winger, it has to be someone who knows how to play the NHL game, not the RSL game.

I wonder if Anaheim would take Surovy and a 2nd rounder for Chistov? Surovy could still turn out to be a good 2nd line wing and our 2nd rounder will be #31 this year which is a very good pick.

Chistov has pretty much said he will never play for Anaheim again and he also played for Mattalurg this past season with Malkin. Not sure if they were linemates but they are familiar with each other.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am

This entire thread is a moot point, as Morozov is an unrestricted free agent. Why would he want to come back to Pittsburgh?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:39 am

Tico Rick wrote:This entire thread is a moot point, as Morozov is an unrestricted free agent. Why would he want to come back to Pittsburgh?

Unless he gets a big contract I can see him signing a one-year deal for around $2 million provided that Malkin is here as well. If he is playing with Malkin he will net 50 goals. Then his price could double after that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:01 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
Pitts wrote:Just like they did with Jagr so many years ago. A Russian speaking wing would be great. And, it looks like Gonchar was brought in for much more than his offensive play.

I have no problem with them finding a Russian winger for Malkin. I would have a huge problem if that winger is Morozov. There is nothing in the way that Morozov plays the game that I want Malkin emulating. He would only pick up bad habits by watching and listening to Morozov. No, if they bring in a Russian winger, it has to be someone who knows how to play the NHL game, not the RSL game.

I believe Morozov was hitting a stride when he last played here where he showed he was finally ready to commit to the game. He had a confidence at the end of that season that I had never seen from him. I think his success in the RSL is as much a product of that maturity as it may be the comfort of home factor. The only way to find that out is to bring him back over for another season. Morozov has shown in the past that when he plays with skill, he puts up points. When he has scrubs for linemates, he plays like a scrub. I think he deserves another shot. And, I surely don't think Malkin will pick up any "bad" habits from Morozov. Something tells me Malkin is far too talented and mature for that to happen.

On the other hand, I also have no problem with a Chitsov, Afinogenov, or any other productive wing for Malkin. But, I do think he should be fluent in Russian until Malkin learns the language well enough.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:04 am

DelPen wrote:Unless he gets a big contract I can see him signing a one-year deal for around $2 million provided that Malkin is here as well. If he is playing with Malkin he will net 50 goals. Then his price could double after that.

Yeah, right :roll: . A guy who has never scored more than 20 goals in the NHL will suddenly score 50, just because he is playing with Malkin. Malkin might be good, but he ain't God. Morozov, simply put, does not do the things it takes to score goals in the NHL. He never goes to the net, and is a pure perimeter player. His work along the boards in pathetic. His production might go up a bit playing with Malkin, but it is beyond ludicrous to say he'd get 50, when the most goals he has ever scored in a season anywhere, at any level, is 23.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:12 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:Unless he gets a big contract I can see him signing a one-year deal for around $2 million provided that Malkin is here as well. If he is playing with Malkin he will net 50 goals. Then his price could double after that.

Yeah, right :roll: . A guy who has never scored more than 20 goals in the NHL will suddenly score 50, just because he is playing with Malkin. Malkin might be good, but he ain't God. Morozov, simply put, does not do the things it takes to score goals in the NHL. He never goes to the net, and is a pure perimeter player. His work along the boards in pathetic. His production might go up a bit playing with Malkin, but it is beyond ludicrous to say he'd get 50, when the most goals he has ever scored in a season anywhere, at any level, is 23.

It's amazing what a world class center who can skate very will will do for your goal output. Just ask Jonathan Cheechoo about that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 am

DelPen wrote:It's amazing what a world class center who can skate very will will do for your goal output. Just ask Jonathan Cheechoo about that.

True enough. But that world-class center had a grand total of 3 goals and 4 assists his first NHL season. Of course, he was only 18 at the time, whereas Malkin would be 20. But even at 20, Thornton only had 23 G, 37 A. To expect Malkin to come over here and, while adjusting to all the new surroundings, become a world class center who helps Morozov get 50 goals, strikes me as a tad optimistic.

But I thought Sid would only net about 60 points this year, so what do I know?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:24 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:It's amazing what a world class center who can skate very will will do for your goal output. Just ask Jonathan Cheechoo about that.

True enough. But that world-class center had a grand total of 3 goals and 4 assists his first NHL season. Of course, he was only 18 at the time, whereas Malkin would be 20. But even at 20, Thornton only had 23 G, 37 A. To expect Malkin to come over here and, while adjusting to all the new surroundings, become a world class center who helps Morozov get 50 goals, strikes me as a tad optimistic.

But I thought Sid would only net about 60 points this year, so what do I know?

Here's the scary thing, I think Malkin will score more points his rookie year, whenever that is, than Crosby or Ovechkin did.

Mainly for two reasons, first is he's either going to be in Pittsburgh next year and have less pressure because the top defense will match up against Crosby. Crosby and Ovechkin did not have another great player on their team to defelct pressure off to. Second reason is that if Malkin doesn't sign this summer he will be a UFA next year but still have to play under the rookie salary cap whcih means any team could afford him and if he was smart he'd go to a Cup contender which means more points.

Either case, I say Malkin gets about 45 goals and about 65 assists his rookie year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Have you ever watched Cheechoo play? He lives in front of the net and in the slot. He is fearless. Morozov lives on the perimeter and is timid. Cheechoo also scored 28 or 29 goals last year at the age of 24 w/o Thornton. Did Morozov ever score more than 20? Cheechoo's breakout season was predictable even without Thornton. He probably went from 40+ to 56+ this season because Thornton was there. Morozov is 28-30 years old. His NHL career is not on an upward arc like Cheechoo.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:32 pm

DelPen wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:This entire thread is a moot point, as Morozov is an unrestricted free agent. Why would he want to come back to Pittsburgh?

Unless he gets a big contract I can see him signing a one-year deal for around $2 million provided that Malkin is here as well. If he is playing with Malkin he will net 50 goals. Then his price could double after that.

Damn, 50 goals? If you factor out his inevitable 40 game scoreless streak, that's over a goal per game! What a season!
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DayWalker on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:05 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Damn, 50 goals? If you factor out his inevitable 40 game scoreless streak, that's over a goal per game! What a season!

And bear in mind that he will only face Marty Brodeur and the Devils, at most, eight times...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:12 am

DelPen wrote:Here's the scary thing, I think Malkin will score more points his rookie year, whenever that is, than Crosby or Ovechkin did.

Mainly for two reasons, first is he's either going to be in Pittsburgh next year and have less pressure because the top defense will match up against Crosby. Crosby and Ovechkin did not have another great player on their team to defelct pressure off to. Second reason is that if Malkin doesn't sign this summer he will be a UFA next year but still have to play under the rookie salary cap whcih means any team could afford him and if he was smart he'd go to a Cup contender which means more points.

Either case, I say Malkin gets about 45 goals and about 65 assists his rookie year.

IIRC, Pens have Malkin's rights through 2008
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:12 am

He probably went from 40+ to 56+ this season because Thornton was there.

I don't know about that, he really struggled without Thornton. Still, Cheechoo is a better NHL player and in one season did more to establish himself than Morozov did his entire career.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tocchet on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Last year with Cincinnati of the AHL, in Chistov's third year playing in North America, he netted 13 goals. Not exactly someone the Pens should be salivating over, and he's not putting up great numbers with Malkin's team either.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins