Kessel/Johnson....And the rest of the pack....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kessel/Johnson....And the rest of the pack....

Postby Mountaineer on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:30 pm

In terms of talent, it seems as if Kessel and Johnson are by far the two most talented players in the draft. Toews sounds like a good second-line center, as does Staal, and from there the talent level looks to drop off a bit. Frolik looks to be the wild-card, but assuming the Pens pick in the top three, and hopefully, the top two, they can't afford the risk.

However, if the Pens do in fact fall to the third spot, and both Johnson and Kessel are gone, I think they would be wise to trade down a few spots to land someone like Backstrom, and perhaps pick up another pick in the first round. As centers, neither Toews nor Staal fit the Pens needs, while both Backstrom and Frolik look to be promising young wingers.

Let's go Pens!!!

Let's go Blues!!!!
Mountaineer
 

Postby Shinoix on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Choose the best player possible, and the best player in this draft is Jordan Staal, bar none.

I'm telling you people, this kid will be the best out of this draft! He won't be a career second liner as stated above.

I don't trust stars from the US college ranks, I'm sorry, I just don't. Take a look at the list of Hobey Baker award winners and nominees over the years and see how many turned into stars, as compared to Canadian junior hockey and European.

Hence the reason I won't put much value into Kessell or Toews. Kessell was non existent at the world juniors and his team choked. Toews did nothing for Canada at all.

Jordan Staal is better than Eric, and you want us to pass on a guy that is better than his brother, who just reached the 100 point plateau and has 45 goals?

I don't think Kessell will be as advertised, Eric Johnson I can see being as advertised, Toews is overrated in my mind.
Shinoix
 

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:06 pm

Shinoix wrote:Jordan Staal is better than Eric, and you want us to pass on a guy that is better than his brother, who just reached the 100 point plateau and has 45 goals?



:roll:
Reilly
 

Postby guiner on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:17 pm

Reilly wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Jordan Staal is better than Eric, and you want us to pass on a guy that is better than his brother, who just reached the 100 point plateau and has 45 goals?



:roll:


:roll:
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Postby Draftnik on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Shinoix wrote:Choose the best player possible, and the best player in this draft is Jordan Staal, bar none.

I'm telling you people, this kid will be the best out of this draft! He won't be a career second liner as stated above.

I don't trust stars from the US college ranks, I'm sorry, I just don't. Take a look at the list of Hobey Baker award winners and nominees over the years and see how many turned into stars, as compared to Canadian junior hockey and European.

Hence the reason I won't put much value into Kessell or Toews. Kessell was non existent at the world juniors and his team choked. Toews did nothing for Canada at all.

Jordan Staal is better than Eric, and you want us to pass on a guy that is better than his brother, who just reached the 100 point plateau and has 45 goals?

I don't think Kessell will be as advertised, Eric Johnson I can see being as advertised, Toews is overrated in my mind.


Kessel led the WJC in scoring. He's led the Team USA 2 seasons in a row. Staal wasn't even considered for Team Canada.

The Hobey Baker list has nothing to do with the NHL. NHL players are drafted based on talent and potential. The Hobey Baker award is based on college production. Kessel wasn't even a nominee.

There is no definitive way to say Jordan Staal will be better than Eric. Kessel has more offensive talent than any prospect in the draft by a wide margin. The perception of him on this board has nothing to do with reality. Somebody posted that he may be a half of a step faster than Staal. That probably is closer to 10.5 steps in a 200 ft race. If somebody can harness his ample gifts they will hit the jackpot.

Erik Johnson seems to be having a good U18 tourney so he probably would be the best pick for the Pens.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Shinoix on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:11 pm

Kessell lead the WJ in scoring because had like EIGHT points in the route against italy!! Didn't the US score 11 goals?

He did nothing the rest of the way. So your point is totally invalid.

Staal wasn't considered because of the deep talent they already had, and he had only just turned 17!! Therefore, you point again is invalid.

The point I was making was that Kessell did nothing in the WJ except for the big route against Italy which was a joke. That's where he got all of his points...did you even watch? Without that game, he woudln't have cracked the top 10!!

I know Staal, I know the family, and I've talked to all of his coaches, he's the real thing, he's miles ahead of where Eric was at his age and is getting bigger and stronger by the day.

He is the player of this draft, mark my words.

Kessell will be avg, and nothing spectacular in my mind. Toews is also overrated and I would be upset if we took him. I've seen him play live many times and he doens't stand out one bit. He did nothing for Canada!

Jordan Staal is the second best Staal according to everyone. Eric just scored his 100th point and 45th goal, and Jordan is supposed to be better than him...we don't want him? His brother Marc was MVP defenseman in the WJ and got the call by the Rangers straight from the OHL to the NHL for the playoffs. Yes that's right, they called him up over guys from their AHL team.

And you're doubting the talent of Jordan Staal?

c'mon man.

As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL
Shinoix
 

Postby Draftnik on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:32 pm

Shinoix wrote:Kessell lead the WJ in scoring because had like EIGHT points in the route against italy!! Didn't the US score 11 goals?

He did nothing the rest of the way. So your point is totally invalid.

Staal wasn't considered because of the deep talent they already had, and he had only just turned 17!! Therefore, you point again is invalid.

The point I was making was that Kessell did nothing in the WJ except for the big route against Italy which was a joke. That's where he got all of his points...did you even watch? Without that game, he woudln't have cracked the top 10!!

I know Staal, I know the family, and I've talked to all of his coaches, he's the real thing, he's miles ahead of where Eric was at his age and is getting bigger and stronger by the day.

He is the player of this draft, mark my words.

Kessell will be avg, and nothing spectacular in my mind. Toews is also overrated and I would be upset if we took him. I've seen him play live many times and he doens't stand out one bit. He did nothing for Canada!

Jordan Staal is the second best Staal according to everyone. Eric just scored his 100th point and 45th goal, and Jordan is supposed to be better than him...we don't want him? His brother Marc was MVP defenseman in the WJ and got the call by the Rangers straight from the OHL to the NHL for the playoffs. Yes that's right, they called him up over guys from their AHL team.

And you're doubting the talent of Jordan Staal?

c'mon man.


Do you even know what you are talking about? Team USA didn't play Italy in the WJC. They weren't even in the tournament. Kessel scored 6 points against Norway. Mighty Canada only scored 4 goals their entire game versus Norway. Kessel will still be eligible for the WJC next year. Other than Gretzky & Kessel I can't think of a guy that led the WJC in scoring that wasn't 19 years old. It is not an accomplishment to be taken lightly. I guess you did not put 2+2 together to understand if he led Team USA in scoring 2 years in a row then he also did it as a 17 year old. Just because you played pond hockey with Staal it doesn't mean he is the best player in the draft. I posted an interview at LGP a few months ago where Alex Goligoski called Kessel the most talented player he's ever played with. That has nothing to do with Kessel becoming the #1 pick or not, but it certainly is a more relevant opinion since he's played with/against elite players in high level competitions, not just games of shinny. I know who Mark Staal is and how he and Parent played well at the WJC. I watched all their games. That said, it has absolutely nothing to do with the NHL draft because Mark is not Jordan. The same Toews you mock was able to make the WJC roster in spite of this being his draft year; the same can't be said for Jordan Staal.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Stoosh on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:08 pm

Shinoix,

Assuming the Pens get the first pick and they aren't going to trade down a couple of spots, I have a few thoughts on Staal...

1. Can he make the switch to wing? He'd be wasted playing third line and unless they move Malkin to wing, I can't see him playing center and moving about Malkin or Crosby on the depth chart at the center position. As good as Staal might be, Malkin and Crosby are a step above him.

2. I'd be curious to know why practically every scouting report or pre-draft ranking I've seen so far fails to put Staal in the top two. If indeed he is the best player in the draft, I have yet to see a scouting report that has put that in print. I've seen him listed ahead of Kessel in the ISS rankings (Staal is #3 behind Johnson and Toews, with Kessel 4th). In his latest USA Today article, Kyle Woodlief has Staal 4th, definitively behind Johnson, Kessel and Toews. And while I respect your opinion because you've seen him play more than I have, these scouting reports are compiled by people who have seen ALL of these players on a regular basis.

This isn't to diminish Staal's abilities. And while opinions seem to vary on the rankings of Kessel and Toews, they seem to be almost universal on Erik Johnson. I'd hate to see the Pens pass on someone like Johnson to take someone just because he might be better than his brother. Let's not forget this...I don't think anyone expected Staal to be putting up these kinds of numbers when he was drafted. He projected as more of a Ron Francis type, but this kid is putting up Joe Sakic numbers.

A quick comment on the Hobey Baker award...what the Heisman Trophy is to college football (college football's most outstanding player), the Hobey Baker is to college hockey. It really does not indicate at all whether a player projects as an NHL-caliber player.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,480
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Postby Draftnik on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


You are a non-stop fountain of nonsense. A quick glance at a list of Hobey Baker award winners indicates there is only 1 obvious 1st round pick:

http://hobeybaker.com/history/winners.htm

Everybody has opinions. People that want them to be credible don't post nonsense about Italy in the WJC or most Hobey Baker award winners being 1st round picks. Are you 12 or 13 years old?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:22 pm

I'm starting to think that the guy is a gimmick poster or something. Jordan Staal is a good prospect, a top 5 guy, but he is not being considered above what Eric was in Junior. If he was, he'd be the consensus top pick, and he's not. The hype is about the same.

As for the first post, that is wrong. There is probably a top 4 in this draft. It's a lot like the year Fleury and Staal were picked. There are a couple groups of players in the top 10-12, but there is no huge dropoff in talent.
MrKnowNothing
 

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


Brian Holzinger was awesome with the Pens!
Reilly
 

Postby guiner on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:37 pm

Reilly wrote:
Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


Brian Holzinger was awesome with the Pens!


:roll:
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


You are a non-stop fountain of nonsense. A quick glance at a list of Hobey Baker award winners indicates there is only 1 obvious 1st round pick:

http://hobeybaker.com/history/winners.htm

Everybody has opinions. People that want them to be credible don't post nonsense about Italy in the WJC or most Hobey Baker award winners being 1st round picks. Are you 12 or 13 years old?


OK, seriously, I can only stand so much of this crap. The Hobey Baker award is obviously highly meaningful and indicative of future NHL success. Or I suppose the fact that the 1990 Hobey Baker winner was Kip Miller is just a coincidence? Kippy was the best linemate Jaromir Jagr's id ever had. He was there for Jaromir even as JJ was dying alive. His Hobey Baker award was certainly no coincidence. With winners of that pedigree it's clear how important the HB award is in predicting NHL success.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


You are a non-stop fountain of nonsense. A quick glance at a list of Hobey Baker award winners indicates there is only 1 obvious 1st round pick:

http://hobeybaker.com/history/winners.htm

Everybody has opinions. People that want them to be credible don't post nonsense about Italy in the WJC or most Hobey Baker award winners being 1st round picks. Are you 12 or 13 years old?


OK, seriously, I can only stand so much of this crap. The Hobey Baker award is obviously highly meaningful and indicative of future NHL success. Or I suppose the fact that the 1990 Hobey Baker winner was Kip Miller is just a coincidence? Kippy was the best linemate Jaromir Jagr's id ever had. He was there for Jaromir even as JJ was dying alive. His Hobey Baker award was certainly no coincidence. With winners of that pedigree it's clear how important the HB award is in predicting NHL success.


I'm sorry, I misspoke. I'm not sure JJ has a superego or an ego, so saying "Jaromir Jagr's id" was a redundancy. Apologies.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Shinoix on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:29 am

Draftnik wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Kessell lead the WJ in scoring because had like EIGHT points in the route against italy!! Didn't the US score 11 goals?

He did nothing the rest of the way. So your point is totally invalid.

Staal wasn't considered because of the deep talent they already had, and he had only just turned 17!! Therefore, you point again is invalid.

The point I was making was that Kessell did nothing in the WJ except for the big route against Italy which was a joke. That's where he got all of his points...did you even watch? Without that game, he woudln't have cracked the top 10!!

I know Staal, I know the family, and I've talked to all of his coaches, he's the real thing, he's miles ahead of where Eric was at his age and is getting bigger and stronger by the day.

He is the player of this draft, mark my words.

Kessell will be avg, and nothing spectacular in my mind. Toews is also overrated and I would be upset if we took him. I've seen him play live many times and he doens't stand out one bit. He did nothing for Canada!

Jordan Staal is the second best Staal according to everyone. Eric just scored his 100th point and 45th goal, and Jordan is supposed to be better than him...we don't want him? His brother Marc was MVP defenseman in the WJ and got the call by the Rangers straight from the OHL to the NHL for the playoffs. Yes that's right, they called him up over guys from their AHL team.

And you're doubting the talent of Jordan Staal?

c'mon man.


Do you even know what you are talking about? Team USA didn't play Italy in the WJC. They weren't even in the tournament. Kessel scored 6 points against Norway. Mighty Canada only scored 4 goals their entire game versus Norway. Kessel will still be eligible for the WJC next year. Other than Gretzky & Kessel I can't think of a guy that led the WJC in scoring that wasn't 19 years old. It is not an accomplishment to be taken lightly. I guess you did not put 2+2 together to understand if he led Team USA in scoring 2 years in a row then he also did it as a 17 year old. Just because you played pond hockey with Staal it doesn't mean he is the best player in the draft. I posted an interview at LGP a few months ago where Alex Goligoski called Kessel the most talented player he's ever played with. That has nothing to do with Kessel becoming the #1 pick or not, but it certainly is a more relevant opinion since he's played with/against elite players in high level competitions, not just games of shinny. I know who Mark Staal is and how he and Parent played well at the WJC. I watched all their games. That said, it has absolutely nothing to do with the NHL draft because Mark is not Jordan. The same Toews you mock was able to make the WJC roster in spite of this being his draft year; the same can't be said for Jordan Staal.


Ok, so i was wrong about Italy, i was just guessing as we had tuned the game out as it was an 11-2 route I believe.

So Kessell scored 6 points that game? I thought it was more, but 6 is alot. However, this is the high scoring winger we need? His final stats were 1 goal, 10 assists, one point higher than Malkin. One goal? I'm just saying, him leading this year is sorta skewed because of the double digit game.

You seem to have alot of hatred towards Canadians, why is that? Because they won again? And the Americans choked? Even when they were the heavily favoured? Seems like Mr. Kessell couldn't buy a goal to help his team. Malkin helped his team, he didn't waste all his production in one game.

I'm not doubting the kid is good, but after watchign all 3 of them play, I'm not sold on either of the other 2. Johnson I am sold on, I would love to have him. Kessell's College Team also choked this year and lost to Holy Cross I believe? What happened there? I realize i'm not a pro scout and their word means more than mine, but from what i've seen, Staal is going to be much better than those 2, no doubt in my mind.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, but I've never been impressed with Kessell, and have taken note lately of two teams that have choked, that he was supposed to lead as the best player.

That's my take, and you all know how I feel about our over abundance of American born players already. I'm not predjudice, I'm just not sold on American college players completely yet. There's alot of gems, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not completely sold yet. As for Toews making the team, did you notice how much he played? He was non existent, a huge disappointment, and again, I'm not sold on him. They barely played him and he's supposed to be a college star., Another reason i'm not sold on him...I've seen him play live 4 times in Grand Forks, and I've yet to see him stand out. Tj Oshie stands out alot more than him.

That's just my opinoin, and I'm not trying to start fights here.
Shinoix
 

Postby mnpensfan on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:09 am

Reilly wrote:
Shinoix wrote:As for the Hobey Baker award meaning nothing...is it not to the most oustanding college player? Wouldn't an outstanding college player mean a pretty decent player with some talent? Most Hobey Baker award winners are first round picks in the NHL!! So your little theory holds no water. LOL


Brian Holzinger was awesome with the Pens!


Don't forget Brian Bonin as well........
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Cottage Grove, MN

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:03 am

Shinoix wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Kessell lead the WJ in scoring because had like EIGHT points in the route against italy!! Didn't the US score 11 goals?

He did nothing the rest of the way. So your point is totally invalid.

Staal wasn't considered because of the deep talent they already had, and he had only just turned 17!! Therefore, you point again is invalid.

The point I was making was that Kessell did nothing in the WJ except for the big route against Italy which was a joke. That's where he got all of his points...did you even watch? Without that game, he woudln't have cracked the top 10!!

I know Staal, I know the family, and I've talked to all of his coaches, he's the real thing, he's miles ahead of where Eric was at his age and is getting bigger and stronger by the day.

He is the player of this draft, mark my words.

Kessell will be avg, and nothing spectacular in my mind. Toews is also overrated and I would be upset if we took him. I've seen him play live many times and he doens't stand out one bit. He did nothing for Canada!

Jordan Staal is the second best Staal according to everyone. Eric just scored his 100th point and 45th goal, and Jordan is supposed to be better than him...we don't want him? His brother Marc was MVP defenseman in the WJ and got the call by the Rangers straight from the OHL to the NHL for the playoffs. Yes that's right, they called him up over guys from their AHL team.

And you're doubting the talent of Jordan Staal?

c'mon man.


Do you even know what you are talking about? Team USA didn't play Italy in the WJC. They weren't even in the tournament. Kessel scored 6 points against Norway. Mighty Canada only scored 4 goals their entire game versus Norway. Kessel will still be eligible for the WJC next year. Other than Gretzky & Kessel I can't think of a guy that led the WJC in scoring that wasn't 19 years old. It is not an accomplishment to be taken lightly. I guess you did not put 2+2 together to understand if he led Team USA in scoring 2 years in a row then he also did it as a 17 year old. Just because you played pond hockey with Staal it doesn't mean he is the best player in the draft. I posted an interview at LGP a few months ago where Alex Goligoski called Kessel the most talented player he's ever played with. That has nothing to do with Kessel becoming the #1 pick or not, but it certainly is a more relevant opinion since he's played with/against elite players in high level competitions, not just games of shinny. I know who Mark Staal is and how he and Parent played well at the WJC. I watched all their games. That said, it has absolutely nothing to do with the NHL draft because Mark is not Jordan. The same Toews you mock was able to make the WJC roster in spite of this being his draft year; the same can't be said for Jordan Staal.


Ok, so i was wrong about Italy, i was just guessing as we had tuned the game out as it was an 11-2 route I believe.

So Kessell scored 6 points that game? I thought it was more, but 6 is alot. However, this is the high scoring winger we need? His final stats were 1 goal, 10 assists, one point higher than Malkin. One goal? I'm just saying, him leading this year is sorta skewed because of the double digit game.

You seem to have alot of hatred towards Canadians, why is that? Because they won again? And the Americans choked? Even when they were the heavily favoured? Seems like Mr. Kessell couldn't buy a goal to help his team. Malkin helped his team, he didn't waste all his production in one game.

I'm not doubting the kid is good, but after watchign all 3 of them play, I'm not sold on either of the other 2. Johnson I am sold on, I would love to have him. Kessell's College Team also choked this year and lost to Holy Cross I believe? What happened there? I realize i'm not a pro scout and their word means more than mine, but from what i've seen, Staal is going to be much better than those 2, no doubt in my mind.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, but I've never been impressed with Kessell, and have taken note lately of two teams that have choked, that he was supposed to lead as the best player.

That's my take, and you all know how I feel about our over abundance of American born players already. I'm not predjudice, I'm just not sold on American college players completely yet. There's alot of gems, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not completely sold yet. As for Toews making the team, did you notice how much he played? He was non existent, a huge disappointment, and again, I'm not sold on him. They barely played him and he's supposed to be a college star., Another reason i'm not sold on him...I've seen him play live 4 times in Grand Forks, and I've yet to see him stand out. Tj Oshie stands out alot more than him.

That's just my opinoin, and I'm not trying to start fights here.


I can't argue with your opinion that Staal is going to be the best forward in the draft. You seem to be very familiar with him, more so than anyone here on any of these kids who will be in the draft this year.

But please don't talk about teams choking especially in international play after the pathetic performance Canada put up in the Olympics.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,359
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 am

Usually, we wait until they are penguins before we start trashing and writing them off.... ;)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,683
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Postby Shinoix on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:49 am

you won't hear me denying that they flopped at the Olympics, it was sad..
Shinoix
 

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:26 pm

I like when people say Phil Kessel had a bad World Juniors and choked but don't even bother mentioning that Erik Johnson was on the same team. :roll:
Reilly
 

Postby Draftnik on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Shinoix wrote:You seem to have alot of hatred towards Canadians, why is that? Because they won again? And the Americans choked? Even when they were the heavily favoured? Seems like Mr. Kessell couldn't buy a goal to help his team. Malkin helped his team, he didn't waste all his production in one game.

I'm not doubting the kid is good, but after watchign all 3 of them play, I'm not sold on either of the other 2. Johnson I am sold on, I would love to have him. Kessell's College Team also choked this year and lost to Holy Cross I believe? What happened there? I realize i'm not a pro scout and their word means more than mine, but from what i've seen, Staal is going to be much better than those 2, no doubt in my mind.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, but I've never been impressed with Kessell, and have taken note lately of two teams that have choked, that he was supposed to lead as the best player.

That's my take, and you all know how I feel about our over abundance of American born players already. I'm not predjudice, I'm just not sold on American college players completely yet. There's alot of gems, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not completely sold yet. As for Toews making the team, did you notice how much he played? He was non existent, a huge disappointment, and again, I'm not sold on him. They barely played him and he's supposed to be a college star., Another reason i'm not sold on him...I've seen him play live 4 times in Grand Forks, and I've yet to see him stand out. Tj Oshie stands out alot more than him.

That's just my opinoin, and I'm not trying to start fights here.


Team USA lost the WJC with a tie to Switzerland. We took at least 3 2 man disadvantages in the 3rd period to let Switzerland back in the game and prevent our offense from consistently generating scoring chances. We played Canada with no rest the next game. Canada was off the day before. Jack Johnson was tripped by a linesman to set up a 2-1 leading to Canada's 2nd goal. Canada's 3rd goal was an empty netter to win the game since a tie did Team USA no good. Those aren't excuses for team USA, but the line between victory and defeat for Team USA was small. We entered the semifinal game against Russia off a grueling quarterfinal game versus Czech while the Russians were rested, so that was the end of our chance. If you follow WJC history at all you would know that it is predominately a 19 year old tourney and Kessel has been one of the best 17 and 18 year old players in WJC history. Somehow he bears the brunt of criticism for Team USA even though his year to shine is 2007.

Toews, for all of his limited ice time at least made Team Canada in his draft year. Staal in the exact same situation did not. Those are facts, not my opinions.

Using the WJC to tear down Kessel and Toews and build up Staal is a ludicrous position because Staal wasn't good enough to be at the tourney unless he was in the stands watching his brother.

Kessel had a goal versus Holy Cross. The NCAA leading goal scorer, JR Ryan Potulny was shut out and his line sucked. Their goalie Briggs gave up a few soft goals. The upperclass Minnesota leaders did not perform as they did during the regular season. That is why Minnesota lost, not because of freshman Phil Kessel. Your arguments used to besmirch Phil Kessel have no basis in reality. They are similar to blaming 18 year old Sidney Crosby for the Pens having the worst record in the NHL.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Shinoix on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm just saying, is it coincidence that his college team choked as did his heavily favored WJ team?

Hey maybe it had nothing to do with him at all, but when teams are heavily favored to win and he's the star of both teams, of course people are going to question him.

We'll see soon who the better player ends up being. Like another poster said, they see Kessell as being another Daigle.

Let's hope not if we indeed get him. I have nothing against any of the players in the draft, I'm just not sold on all of them.

It's just hard to fathom that the so-called most talented player and best player at the WJ the last couple years, only scored one goal. He's being advertised as a high flying sniper on the wing. One goal doesn't do that much justice. I wasn't impressed with him, and I hope he'll be better.
Shinoix
 

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:28 pm

Kessel is the most talented forward in this draft.

The questions people have about him are things like whether his game will translate into the NHL, not how good he is.
MrKnowNothing
 

Postby Shinoix on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:29 pm

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/

hmm, quite the rankings LOL
Shinoix
 

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Shinoix wrote:http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/

hmm, quite the rankings LOL


so since you can't make a good argument whatsoever you post a url to a scouting site? OMG, YOUR WINNER!!!!
Reilly
 

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


e-mail