Kolanos, Talbot, Christensen, Carcillo, Lannon...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kolanos, Talbot, Christensen, Carcillo, Lannon...

Postby Coy and Vance on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:38 am

Which members of the WBS Penguins do you think will be playing in the NHL next year? It's clear Welch will be here, but after that who? Kolanos has been playing extremly well since being acquired so maybe it's his time. Carcillo seems like a freakin nut so it would be fun to see him snap at least 82 time next year....who do you all think has the BEST chance to make the team next year?
Coy and Vance
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 am

I would assume that Christensen, Welch and Talbot will stick with the big club next year. It will be interesting to see the role that they give Christensen. I would like to see him on one of the top two lines, ideally with Crosby and Armstrong. It seems clear that the only way this is going to happen is to move him to wing. Why this hasn't happened thus far is, beyond me. Lannon might be the dark horse next year. From what I've read he's had as good a rookie season as could be expected. Aside from that I think Melichar and Scuderi are certainly "upgradable", if such a word exists.

Kolanos? we'll see, if anything he bumps Quellet or Rita. Not that big of a deal if you ask me. Maybe Kolanos Malone and Leclair on the third line. Roy Talbot and Koltsov on the fourth.

I think Carcillo, Stone and Filewich will probably spend another full season in WBS. I could see Filewich filling in the second scoring line the way Armstrong does on the first. He can skate, shoot and he definitely plays with an edge.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:43 am

I don't think there are too many safe guys on forward.

Crosby, Arsmtrong, Malone, Malkin, Leclair, Koltsov and Roy are probably the only guy who will get a spot when the season starts if they are in Pittsburgh.

That leaves Hilbert, Rita, Surovy, Ouellett, Nordgren and Bogy on the roster now and from WBS probably Christensen, Kolanos, Endicott, Talbot and Taticek fighting for those last 7 spots if they go with 14 forwards. If I had to het rid of 4 right off the bat it would be Endicott, Bogy, Nordgren and Taticek.

As far as defense goes, Welch is the only one ready for the NHL. I like the game Lannon plays but another year in WBS would do him good. Bissonnette is also not ready. Everyone else is OK but nothing better than we have in Pittsburgh.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tocchet on Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Hilbert is a good second liner, but doesn't seem to have the top-level talent to be on a legit first line.

The Pens need to sign someone to play on the left of Sidney and Colby, and Colby needs to gain about five pounds of muscle this offseason, along with attending some speed/power skating camps.

Kolanos is interesting -- a right-handed shot with good skill. I'm afraid he might be another tweener -- not really good enough for the top lines, but doesn't fit into the 3rd or 4th lines.

I'm really, really, really hoping that someone will take LeClair. I highly doubt it, but let's hope.

???-Crosby-Armstrong
Hilbert-Malkin-???
Carcillo-Malone-Christensen
Roy-Talbot-Koltsov
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I think Welch and Talbot almost certainly will be a part of the team. Welch surely will experience growing pains, but he still should improve the defense. He certainly looked good in his three-game stint. Talbot should be centering the fourth line again and killing penalties. I believe he's not in the NHL right now because they wanted him to play more meaningful minutes in the minors, but come next year, the team needs to be trying to make a run at the playoffs again. Talbot certainly is one of the top 12 forwards on the team.

I think Christensen's really on the bubble. I would love to see him step up and grab a job next year, but he's going to have to earn it. His production in the NHL really dropped as he played more. Worse, he hasn't even been doing that much in the AHL recently. A good playoff run should help him a lot. Eventually, I definitely see him sticking in the NHL. Hopefully, that's next year, either as Crosby or Malkin's left winger.

The only other guy I could see making the team is Kolanos. The Pens need a right-handed center. I guess his making the team depends on how well he handles defensive responsibilities and how well he can do on faceoffs. Unfortunately, he's been weak in those areas in his career. I doubt he makes it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

From AHL

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Neyt year NHL-ers :
Christensen, Talbot, Kolanos and Welch for sure i think,maybe Lannon as 7th d-man....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:16 pm

I really hope Carcillo will develop into a third liner. To do this he needs to hone his skills another year at WBS, and to learn restraint to the point where it's not him who took the dumb penalty. He's one of those players, that if you focus on him during his time on the ice, you will notice so many things going on. He's really entertaining. He's a guy that the entire opposing team will want to kill by the end of the first period. People will take stupid penalties just to get him. The problem is, so does he. He'll fight like hell though,and has a decent scoring touch. But his big game is agitation. Which wouldn't flourish in a 4th line role. Flyers games will be a lot more interesting with him here.
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:01 pm

Ouellet should stick. He's good on the power play and the shootout. He's a role player.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 pm

cs6687 wrote:Ouellet should stick. He's good on the power play and the shootout. He's a role player.

I don't think Ouellet has the wheels to play on either of the top lines, and I don't think he's gritty enough for the bottom two. Unfortunately he is one of those guys like Rita, Surovy, Endicott, Murley etc... that are not nearly consistant enough to justify a spot on a playoff team.

You throw Stone or Carcillo into the picture and the above mentioned are even less significant.

I think that 3rd line has to be Malone Leclair and Koltsov. Two 20 goal scorers on the 3rd line isn't something to shake your head at. Stone is made for the 3rd line center spot, but I think he'll need another year in WBS.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:01 pm

Fourth line - Roy, Talbot, Koltsov.
Third line - LeClair, Hilbert, Malone.
Second line - Ouellet, Malkin, FA/Kessel, if drafted.
First line - Armstrong, Crosby, FA
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:31 pm

Tikkanen, Hilbert deserves a spot on this team, but I feel that a FA winger with more skill would be better beside Crosby. Basically, keeping Hilbert on Sid's line would be like keeping Troy Loney on Lemieux's line back in the day.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanBryan on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:09 pm

I still believe Koltsov's job can still be had... Yes we all know he gives 100% every time he is on the ice, but he had 8 pts in 60games! There is no way his job is safe with those numbers! I honestly could see Koltsov not on this team next year.

Crosby, Hilbert, Armstrong, Leclair are the only forwards I see as safe.

As far as guys in WBS I would expect to see put up a fight to get on the team next season: Kolanos, Christensen, Talbot are the only forwards... Lannon, Welch (unless you consider him safe), Bissonette the Defensemen.

Tikkanen, it will have been 4 months since these guys have played together, by that time who is to say the chemistry isnt gone? Now at this moment, with this roster you keep Hilbert with Crosby, but you have to go into Free Agency thinking about a scorer to be with Crosby, have our own little Thornton - Cheechoo Combo.

As far as the lines, I would hope to see:
New - Crosby - Armstrong
Leclair - Malone - New
Kolanos - Christensen - Hilbert
Murley - Talbot - Ouellet

Defense:
Gonchar - Welch
Whitney - Orpik
Lannon - Scuderi
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfannn on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:48 pm

PensFanBryan wrote:I still believe Koltsov's job can still be had... Yes we all know he gives 100% every time he is on the ice, but he had 8 pts in 60games! There is no way his job is safe with those numbers! I honestly could see Koltsov not on this team next year.

As far as guys in WBS I would expect to see put up a fight to get on the team next season: Kolanos, Christensen, Talbot are the only forwards... Lannon, Welch (unless you consider him safe), Bissonette the Defensemen.

Tikkanen, it will have been 4 months since these guys have played together, by that time who is to say the chemistry isnt gone? Now at this moment, with this roster you keep Hilbert with Crosby, but you have to go into Free Agency thinking about a scorer to be with Crosby, have our own little Thornton - Cheechoo Combo.

New - Crosby - Armstrong
Leclair - Malone - New

Defense:
Gonchar - Welch
Whitney - Orpik
Lannon - Scuderi

Where's your enforcer??????
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Tocchet wrote:Hilbert is a good second liner, but doesn't seem to have the top-level talent to be on a legit first line.

The Pens need to sign someone to play on the left of Sidney and Colby, and Colby needs to gain about five pounds of muscle this offseason, along with attending some speed/power skating camps.

Kolanos is interesting -- a right-handed shot with good skill. I'm afraid he might be another tweener -- not really good enough for the top lines, but doesn't fit into the 3rd or 4th lines.

I'm really, really, really hoping that someone will take LeClair. I highly doubt it, but let's hope.

???-Crosby-Armstrong
Hilbert-Malkin-???
Carcillo-Malone-Christensen
Roy-Talbot-Koltsov

I agree with most of your post, as always.

It's a real shame that some posters on this site are willing to ignore the strides hilbert has made and relegate him to "a fourth liner". But it's obvious that he's found a place here. I like him next to Malkin, he is a solid defensive presence, he can pass well, and he can finish. Maybe to fill in the question marks on the second line we could nab Afinogenov or *gasp* Morozov. As much has I hate him, it might be worth a shot to give him a one year deal that is incentive laden.

The top line need definitely needs to be adressed as well. Kolanos really suprised me with his WB/S play. Grace is usually a very good judge of talent and has had a "mike lange man-crush" since his acquisiton.

As far as LeClair goes, I wouldn't mind him staying, but if someone is willing to accept his albatross of a contract, I'd be for it.

I'm interested to see what happens with Lannon. Next year we should also see the debut of Letang in the AHL.

Anyone know what Daniel Fernholm is up to? He had a nice camp this year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanBryan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:05 am

pensfannn wrote:
PensFanBryan wrote:I still believe Koltsov's job can still be had... Yes we all know he gives 100% every time he is on the ice, but he had 8 pts in 60games! There is no way his job is safe with those numbers! I honestly could see Koltsov not on this team next year.

New - Crosby - Armstrong
Leclair - Malone - New

Defense:
Gonchar - Welch
Whitney - Orpik
Lannon - Scuderi

Where's your enforcer??????

Roy is the Enforcer, I just elect to have him sit. Im a big believer that in the "New" NHL you dont need an Enforcer. If there is a need for one Orpik can fight.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins