Welch to replace Gonchar...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Welch to replace Gonchar...

Postby Ginger on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 pm

From my inbox:-

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled defenseman Noah Welch from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, it was announced today by General Manager Craig Patrick.

Welch, 23, was recalled on an emergency basis to replace Sergei Gonchar who is day-to-day with an illness.

Welch made his NHL debut on March 24 in a 4-3 overtime win against the New York Islanders. He recorded his first point, an assist, in that game on Sergei Gonchar's second period goal. Welch, then, notched his first goal two games later in a 6-5 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on March 26. He appeared in three games while with the parent Penguins, recording four points (1+3) and a plus-2 rating.

The 6-4 and 215-pound defenseman appeared in 77 games during the regular season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, recording 29 points (9+20), 99 penalty minutes and a plus-15 rating. He led all Penguins' defensemen in scoring and ranked in a tie for third among team rookies in points. He was fifth on the team in penalty minutes and tied for third with a plus-15 rating.

The native of Brighton, Massachusetts was drafted by the Penguins in the second round (54th overall) of the 2001 draft.

Please keep the applause noise down! :)
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I don't know how I feel about this. Yes, I know that Welch has 4 points in three games played, but Gonchar's recent run, specially on the PP, will be missed in Sid's quest for 100 and beyond...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:30 pm

relantel wrote:I don't know how I feel about this. Yes, I know that Welch has 4 points in three games played, but Gonchar's recent run, specially on the PP, will be missed in Sid's quest for 100 and beyond...

Well, if it were just a substitute for the sake of giving Welch some time I'd say it might be untimely. But I emailed my friend in Pittsburgh to ask her if she'd heard what the *illness* was & she told me Gonchar apparently still has that groin issue that was plaquing him a few weeks ago so it might be a good thing to rest that too. I'm not sure where she heard it but likely the radio.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:33 pm

Mike Bossy is not going to be happy if this is indeed only an illness. :P
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Welch to replace Gonchar...

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Ginger wrote:From my inbox:-

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled defenseman Noah Welch from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, it was announced today by General Manager Craig Patrick.

Welch, 23, was recalled on an emergency basis to replace Sergei Gonchar who is day-to-day with an illness.

Welch made his NHL debut on March 24 in a 4-3 overtime win against the New York Islanders. He recorded his first point, an assist, in that game on Sergei Gonchar's second period goal. Welch, then, notched his first goal two games later in a 6-5 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on March 26. He appeared in three games while with the parent Penguins, recording four points (1+3) and a plus-2 rating.

The 6-4 and 215-pound defenseman appeared in 77 games during the regular season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, recording 29 points (9+20), 99 penalty minutes and a plus-15 rating. He led all Penguins' defensemen in scoring and ranked in a tie for third among team rookies in points. He was fifth on the team in penalty minutes and tied for third with a plus-15 rating.

The native of Brighton, Massachusetts was drafted by the Penguins in the second round (54th overall) of the 2001 draft.

:shock: i was expecting for maybe R Scuderi due to that injury.

Sergei, if I got his shirt, going to tell him the season begins for
him in July! :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:41 pm

penny lane wrote: :shock: i was expecting for maybe R Scuderi due to that injury.

Sergei, if I got his shirt, going to tell him the season begins for
him in July! :wink:

I think you're right. Why would it not be Scuderi? They've as much as said he's out for the year.

But the official site does also say Gonchar. Who knows...
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby conforto45 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:55 pm

does Gonchar have the "mysterious stomach flu" that swept the locker room for weeks, even causing certain players to retire?
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:13 pm

Told ya so (though I didn't know Gonchar had the flu)!

:lol:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... php?t=2128
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BacklashJack on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:59 pm

Ginger wrote:From my inbox:-

I know, we really need to cheer when a guy who is having his third best (and will tie for his second best with one more point) year points-wise and is playing as well as any offensive dman in the league is out of the lineup... :roll:
BacklashJack

Postby netwolf on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:31 pm

BacklashJack wrote:
Ginger wrote:Please keep the applause noise down! :)

I know, we really need to cheer when a guy who is having his third best (and will tie for his second best with one more point) year points-wise and is playing as well as any offensive dman in the league is out of the lineup... :roll:

Actually the applause was FOR Welch's presence, not the lack of Gonchar's. I have defended Gonchar for a while, but I was happy to get the chance to see Welch up again.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BacklashJack on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:36 pm

netwolf wrote:
BacklashJack wrote:
Ginger wrote:Please keep the applause noise down! :)

Actually the applause was FOR Welch's presence, not the lack of Gonchar's. I have defended Gonchar for a while, but I was happy to get the chance to see Welch up again.

My bad, never let it be said I don't know when I've been a *** :)
BacklashJack

Postby Ginger on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:39 pm

BacklashJack wrote:

Er, um...I like Gonchar & am one of his supporters...? Okay maybe his only supporter (to the count of one), but I was talking about applauding Welch coming up since fans have wanted to see this happen?

Sorry if I wasn't clear...
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins