Benz Reports Malone prefers Malkin over Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Benz Reports Malone prefers Malkin over Sid

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 am

On 105.9 this morning Tim Benz cited an anonymous player on the Penguins who expressed serious concern about moving Malone to Sid's line. According to Benz, this anonymous player said that it would be a huge mistake by MT, saying that Malone feels he is a much better player with Malkin. The reason given by the anonymous player is that Malone feels that Malkin is much more relaxed about things like missed scoring chances (Benz joked that if he wasn't how would anyone know?) and (apparently) less demanding on his linemates than Sid.

Tim Benz thought that this was highly credible, so I conclude that the anonymous player was either Malone himself or someone very close to Malone. As we all know Benz is in the locker-room quite a bit and interviews many of the players.

Could this be why Colby thrives with Sid... because Sid is less hard on close friends with less talent than people like Sykora and Malone?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am

He certainly looks like a better player with Malkin. I don't really care why.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am

That's it. Trade Crosby to Atlanta for Recchi.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tluke53 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 am

pfim wrote:He certainly looks like a better player with Malkin. I don't really care why.

Agreed.

"Malone and Malkin go together like peas and carrots" - Forest Gump
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

+tim benz is the man+
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

I don't see how you can break-up the Malkin line....no matter who Malone wants to play with.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spikey on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

There's no question he's been playing better with Malkin, but if the reason why he prefers it is because Geno is less demanding than Sid, that doesn't say much for Malone.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 am

tluke53 wrote:
pfim wrote:He certainly looks like a better player with Malkin. I don't really care why.

Agreed.

"Malone and Malkin go together like peas and carrots" - Forest Gump

They go together like peanut butter and tuna fish
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stopper40 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:52 am

Spikey wrote:There's no question he's been playing better with Malkin, but if the reason why he prefers it is because Geno is less demanding than Sid, that doesn't say much for Malone.

I was thinking the same thing.

In other words malone wants to coast some shifts/games. Where as Crosby doesn't expect his linemates to do that.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 am

stopper40 wrote:
Spikey wrote:There's no question he's been playing better with Malkin, but if the reason why he prefers it is because Geno is less demanding than Sid, that doesn't say much for Malone.

In other words malone wants to coast some shifts/games. Where as Crosby doesn't expect his linemates to do that.

I don't know if I'd take that from the supposed source. I haven't seen Malone take shifts off this season. Some people don't like a guy constantly in their ear, telling them they suck.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am

stopper40 wrote:

I don't think that is what Benz was implying. He seemed to be implying that Crosby is harder on players who fumble a pass and don't bury scoring chances. Malkin is more of a "we'll get 'em next time" type of guy. (This is what I gathered from what Benz said, he didn't say this word for word.)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 am

It's pretty hard to be demanding when you can't vocally communicate very well. But this is a really stupid explanation and i hope there isnt any validity to this story.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 am

Agreed.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 am

newarenanow wrote:

Agreed.

It won't really matter..if the Pens can get a Winger.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby soljaheas on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:00 am

canaan wrote:+tim benz is the man+

I don't like him much.
soljaheas

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 am

kennythekangaroo reports that everyone prefers everything over tim benz

mostly because benz is a toolbox
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:07 am

Does anyone know if Crosby and/or Fleury are returning tonight?
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:09 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:Does anyone know if Crosby and/or Fleury are returning tonight?

Crosby didnt travel with the team, so he wont be playing.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 am

I am not buying it. If Sid were harping on his linemates to bury their chances to the point where it made them uncomfortable, we'd have heard of it by now.

Benz is just trying to stir up controversy. I think he's always thought of himself as a mini-Madden.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:11 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:I am not buying it. If Sid were harping on his linemates to bury their chances to the point where it made them uncomfortable, we'd have heard of it by now.

Benz is just trying to stir up controversy. I think he's always thought of himself as a mini-Madden.

Doesnt take alot to be a Mini-Madden :D

Kidding <345678
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Benz Reports Malone prefers Malkin over Sid

Postby kirk on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:On 105.9 this morning Tim Benz cited an anonymous player on the Penguins who expressed serious concern about moving Malone to Sid's line. According to Benz, this anonymous player said that it would be a huge mistake by MT, saying that Malone feels he is a much better player with Malkin. The reason given by the anonymous player is that Malone feels that Malkin is much more relaxed about things like missed scoring chances (Benz joked that if he wasn't how would anyone know?) and (apparently) less demanding on his linemates than Sid.

Tim Benz thought that this was highly credible, so I conclude that the anonymous player was either Malone himself or someone very close to Malone. As we all know Benz is in the locker-room quite a bit and interviews many of the players.

Could this be why Colby thrives with Sid... because Sid is less hard on close friends with less talent than people like Sykora and Malone?

I don't care why Malone wants what he wants. The fact is that he is playing the best hockey of his career on Malkin's wing. My own pet theory is that Sid plays up tempo hockey all of the time, while Malkin slows or pushes the pace depending upon the situation, which is a style better suited in a center to getting the most out of Malone. Whatever the theory, Malone should stay on Malkin's LW, and this reason (and the fact that you could have two top flight scoring lines) are why I call finding a winger for Sid a huge need.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am

soljaheas wrote:
canaan wrote:+tim benz is the man+

I don't like him much.

tim benz~ a boy-punk. just my opinion.

Somebody out there must be willing to play with Sid :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am

stopper40 wrote:

Please...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:28 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
stopper40 wrote:

I don't think that is what Benz was implying. He seemed to be implying that Crosby is harder on players who fumble a pass and don't bury scoring chances. Malkin is more of a "we'll get 'em next time" type of guy. (This is what I gathered from what Benz said, he didn't say this word for word.)

That's how I would interpret it. To say that Malone doesn't like playing with Crosby because he wants to float is ridiculous. I can imagine Crosby being a much more difficult guy to play with than Malkin is, and part if it has to do with not being able to keep up with Crosby's speed. Malkin has the ability to slow the game down, the way Mario did, but Crosby's game is all about speed. Unfortunately, we've never had a quality goal scorer with speed to go with Crosby.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:30 am

The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins