100 Points and 148 shots less not enough?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

100 Points and 148 shots less not enough?

Postby FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 pm

Will 100 points and a -1 rating; will it be enough for Sidney to win the award. He's been on a tear lately and as everyone knows he's closed the gap to 5 vs. AO:

If you vote for Ovechkin, is there any chance you would change your vote if Crosby got a few goals tomorrow and had 40 goals and 62 assists?

How many points would he need to have tomorrow?

What is your vote: Crosby or Ovechkin?

Don't forget...Ovechkin has 148 more shots than Crosby throughout the season. (Crosby 273 vs. Ovechkin 421) I calculated that with the extra 148 shots,if he would continue to shoot at the current 14% mark, Crosby would have 21 more goals...
Last edited by FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 pm

Crosby, but not just because of the points. He is a force without the puck. Plus, give Crosby two years to develop like Ovechkin did before going to the NHL, and Crosby blows AO away.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffTZ on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Just got home from the game.. but even how exciting the evening was.. I still think Alexendar Ovechkin is this years rookie of the year.... for the following reasons.. Goals... (the don't give an award out for the most assist.. do they?) Top 3 in scoring even though Crosby will finish top 7 or 8. And even though Crosby has played the last half of the year with Rookies and waiver pick ups.. Ovechkin did not get the chance to play with players like Palffy, Lemieux, Recchi for part of the season.. he was playing with some at best average players in the NHL... But again.. unbelievable years by both.. couldn't had dreamed it would be this great of a scenery to watch all season.. but Ovechkin wins by more than I think people think... Sorry...
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm biased, but I'd vote for Sidney. Considering what he's done at his age with the kind of pressure he's had, I think he's had the more impressive season. He's fifth in the lead in scoring now. That's pretty unbelievable.

Of course, Ovechkin is third and has 50 goals. They're both fantastic candidates. These are two of the best rookie seasons ever. Maybe Gretzky's the only first year player to have a better one. It's been a joy to follow this competition.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:07 pm

JeffTZ wrote:Just got home from the game.. but even how exciting the evening was.. I still think Alexendar Ovechkin is this years rookie of the year.... for the following reasons.. Goals... (the don't give an award out for the most assist.. do they?) Top 3 in scoring even though Crosby will finish top 7 or 8. And even though Crosby has played the last half of the year with Rookies and waiver pick ups.. Ovechkin did not get the chance to play with players like Palffy, Lemieux, Recchi for part of the season.. he was playing with some at best average players in the NHL... But again.. unbelievable years by both.. couldn't had dreamed it would be this great of a scenery to watch all season.. but Ovechkin wins by more than I think people think... Sorry...

That's fair, I respect your vote. But I don't agree with your reasoning with the goals. As I mentioned in my post. Crosby shot the puck 148 times less. Based on his shooting accuracy and my calculation, that is 21 extra goals for Sid...
I know that you've got to score those, but Crosby could have easily if he's goal was to win the award. However, in opinion, his goal is to make the team happy and play as a team. I think Crosby gets more exited about his teamates goal than his own, and that is something special !
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 pm

FuturePens wrote:That's fair, I respect your vote. But I don't agree with your reasoning with the goals. As I mentioned in my post. Crosby shot the puck 148 times less. Based on his shooting accuracy and my calculation, 21 extra goals...

That doesn't mean crap! If Ovechkin shot the puck 148 more times, then he would have 75 goals. Where's the logic? The award will be based on the stats as is. Why such a hardon for the Calder? In 2 weeks, no one will care who won it. Ovechkin has been electric with the puck. He deserves it as much as Crosby, and he scored 50 goals in his rookie season! 50!!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
FuturePens wrote:That's fair, I respect your vote. But I don't agree with your reasoning with the goals. As I mentioned in my post. Crosby shot the puck 148 times less. Based on his shooting accuracy and my calculation, 21 extra goals...

That doesn't mean crap! If Ovechkin shot the puck 148 more times, then he would have 75 goals. Where's the logic? The award will be based on the stats as is. Why such a hardon for the Calder? In 2 weeks, no one will care who won it. Ovechkin has been electric with the puck. He deserves it as much as Crosby, and he scored 50 goals in his rookie season! 50!!

Oh calm down, can't we Pens fans be exited about something too? Gzzz, gimme a break. :roll:
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 100 Points and 148 shots less not enough?

Postby ivand87 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:38 pm

FuturePens wrote:Don't forget...Ovechkin has 148 more shots than Crosby throughout the season. (Crosby 273 vs. Ovechkin 421) I calculated that with the extra 148 shots,if he would continue to shoot at the current 14% mark, Crosby would have 21 more goals...

That's the worst argument for rookie of the year that I've ever heard.

You do realize that no one gives you awards for NOT shooting right?

And your shooting percentage argument doesn't mean that Sidney is a better shooter than Ovechkin.

Ovechkin's 52 goals are way too much for Sidney to be able to win the award.

Had Sid scored 10 more goals or so then we'd have a real good case for him.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:49 pm

FuturePens wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Oh calm down, can't we Pens fans be exited about something too? Gzzz, gimme a break. :roll:

Yeah. I'm excited that an 18 year had a phenominal season and was the scoring leader of his team. He also finished in the top 10 overall in league scoring...as an 18 year old. I'm also very excited that he will be leading this team for years to come and getting better in each one! I'm also very excited about the thought of that 18 year old kid bringing the Cup back to Pittsburgh one day. I can live without the Calder trophy. :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby elij21 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 pm

Crosby:

Pro league: 1, NHL
Goals: 38
Assist: 62
Pts: 100
-/+: -1
Shots and S%: 271 , 14%
Faceoffs: 45,4 %

Ovechkin:

Pro League: 4 total, 3 in the RSL (played at 17, 18 and 19 years old ) and 1 NHL
Goals: 52
Assist: 53
Pts: 105
-/+: 3
Shots and S%: 415 , 12%

Seing what both have accomplish is amazing, but I would love to see Sid win it because of all the pressure and media attention on and off the ice. Off the ice is the reason why he has so many penalties.
My vote is for sid. sorry ovi
elij21

Postby jmh470 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 am

It is really an apples and oranges argument. My vote goes to Crosby because he is the more well rounded player.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:06 am

I think Ovechkin WILL win it, but I think both players are deserving. I won't complain if either guy wins. Phaneuf and Ledquist are having great years and would be favorites any other year, but if Sid and Alex and 1-2 or 2-1, then something is wrong.

Sid and Alex have done it on their own on bad teams. The other candidates have not.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:19 am

Save for a little bit extra "flash" brought more by size and strength than anything else... There is really no valid reason why AO should win over Crosby.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 am

I still think whoever gets the most points should win the Calder. This would mean Sid would need to have 7 points tonight.

I don't see that happening so Ovechkin gets my vote. He's had an amazing season, if there were a season last year he would have won it then and Crosby would have won it this year by a landslide.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins