For those who went to the game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

For those who went to the game...

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:59 pm

just how amazing was it when Crosby scored his 100 point eh? For those that missed it or couldn't be there, you missed out on an experience that cannot be emulated. 17,000+ people screaming as loud as they can for like 5 mins is unexplainable. I must say, it was probably the best game I've ever been to. God bless student rush.
Reilly

Postby FuturePens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:01 pm

I believe it, but the season opener was even crazier when Crosby got it's first goal in the NHL.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:03 pm

FuturePens wrote:I believe it, but the season opener was even crazier when Crosby got it's first goal in the NHL.

I was also at that game, but tonight was just unbelieveable. All the fans that were at that game were Pens fans. The home opener had a lot of people who just wanted to be there. When Sid scored his first it was certainly amazing, but when he got his 100 point, it was.... :shock:
Reilly

Postby RedLightDistrict on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 pm

Just got home. It was awesome. And it all happened so fast on the faceoff.

Though my favorite moment of the year is still the Montreal "water bottle" shootout victory!
RedLightDistrict

Postby saveourpens on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:24 pm

It was crazier than when Crosby had the shootout win against Montreal. Just awesome. Too bad I could not throw my shirt on the ice though...friggin netting! :twisted:
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 pm

saveourpens wrote:Too bad I could not throw my shirt on the ice though...friggin netting! :twisted:

some people made it over 8)
Reilly

Re: For those who went to the game...

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:33 pm

Reilly wrote:just how amazing was it when Crosby scored his 100 point eh? For those that missed it or couldn't be there, you missed out on an experience that cannot be emulated. 17,000+ people screaming as loud as they can for like 5 mins is unexplainable. I must say, it was probably the best game I've ever been to. God bless student rush.

Yeah, but they won. :roll:

In all seriousness, it was easily in the top 10 games I've been lucky enough to be at. But nothing compares to being at an exciting playoff game. Other than a Lemieux retirement. Or comeback. Or retirement. This one was right up there, though. Probably the best regular season, meaningless standings-wise game I've been at.

And how about the IOC owners and execs in attendence tonight seeing those Tshirts they paid for getting thrown back onto the ice.

It was cool though, with the white, waving T's, it kind of felt playoff-ish.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Tonight felt like a playoff game. It had that kind of atmosphere from the opening faceoff.

It was just amazing. I can't even put it into words. THe fans tonight were willing Sid towards 100 points, and he delivered.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Judy on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Reilly wrote:
FuturePens wrote:I believe it, but the season opener was even crazier when Crosby got it's first goal in the NHL.

I was also at that game, but tonight was just unbelieveable. All the fans that were at that game were Pens fans. The home opener had a lot of people who just wanted to be there. When Sid scored his first it was certainly amazing, but when he got his 100 point, it was.... :shock:

I agree!! I was at the opener and tonight's game. It was crazier tonight than it was at the opener. No doubt about it. :D
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Was at both

Postby CT Mechanic on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:44 pm

We were at both- Crosby's first goal game and tonight's 100th point game. Tonight's game was better by far.

Unrelated- Am I stupid or is there no link in the PG's Q&A to submit a question??? I tried to ask something, but I didn't see the link to "submit a question" in the current Q&A or in a random old one. Weird.

CT M
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:04 pm

Right after Crosby hit 100...taken with my cell phone.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Hockey fans are different than fans of other sports. We are hardcore to a degree that can't be duplicated by MLB, NFL, NBA fans etc. People that weren't there tonight do not understand the passion we are trying to explain. Can you imagine that kind of intensity displayed at the last Pirate home game if they were in last place in the standings? Of course not, unless the pierogi race was close...

I don't know if this was top 10 for me based on all the great games, but it was a memorable evening. The shirts off the back ceremony did seem different though. The randomness was eliminated and replaced by strict numerical order.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spoon on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:23 pm

Honestly, this was one of the greatest moments that i've been in attendance for. I will be framing my ticket stubb.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:50 pm

I really hate when poeple post "how great it was to be there, to bad your a loser" threads but having been there myself I can honestly say that was the best game of the season bar none.

Most importantly, it ended an 0-14-5 personal lossing streak that dates back to Strakas OT winner vs. the Caps. For me, it was the best hockey game I have seen in years!

I am alittle embarrassed about the throwing of the Pittsburgh First T-shirts on the ice. I know fans want to show their love but that was dumb. The overwhelming standing ovation was perfect without that nonsense.

Also, the Pens wear black, so why print out WHITE T-shirts? Ahhh who am I kidding, nothing could ruin that night!
NIN

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:52 pm

NIN wrote:Also, the Pens wear black, so why print out WHITE T-shirts?

The problem is that if those fans actually wear the shirts, it creates problems for goalies to pick up the puck. Well, that was the reason Tampa Bay didn't print black shirts during their playoff run.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Reilly wrote:
NIN wrote:Also, the Pens wear black, so why print out WHITE T-shirts?

The problem is that if those fans actually wear the shirts, it creates problems for goalies to pick up the puck. Well, that was the reason Tampa Bay didn't print black shirts during their playoff run.

AHHHH excellent point.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:57 pm

ziggystardust wrote:I still don't understand the fuss over 100.

You must have not gone to the game.
Reilly

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Will Penguins fans explode with joy if he gets to 104 during the next game?

100 is a milestone accomplishment for any player, especially one who is 18.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 am

ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

100 is a milestone accomplishment for any player, especially one who is 18.

do you think passing Hawerchuk is more significant than reaching 100 points?

It would be nice. I don't think it will happen though. Anyhow, 100 points is similar to 50 goals. It's just a number that people look at as a milestone.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 am

ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Image

woah. that is a damn nice cell phone pic.

Thanks. I work for VZW so I get to switch out phones fairly often. I only touched up the color lightly in photoshop everything else is untouched.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:24 am

Uhhh, yes.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:27 am

skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Thanks. I work for VZW so I get to switch out phones fairly often. I only touched up the color lightly in photoshop everything else is untouched.

I was thinking the same thing. Wow, my cell doesn't even come close to that... not that I ever use the camera, or expect it to be any good.

What phone is that?

I renewed VZW this past summer, and wanted Bluetooth, but in the end, I was very disappointed in their selection.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: For those who went to the game...

Postby Tomas on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:07 am

Reilly wrote:just how amazing was it when Crosby scored his 100 point eh? For those that missed it or couldn't be there, you missed out on an experience that cannot be emulated. 17,000+ people screaming as loud as they can for like 5 mins is unexplainable. I must say, it was probably the best game I've ever been to. God bless student rush.

It must have been a great game, but the best game ever was simply this one:
http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2694.htm
(the "two minute from elimination if not for the one-legged, groin-teared Jagr magic" kind of game :wink: )
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:22 am

Ben Klingston wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Wow, my cell doesn't even come close to that... not that I ever use the camera, or expect it to be any good.

What phone is that?

I renewed VZW this past summer, and wanted Bluetooth, but in the end, I was very disappointed in their selection.

It's the razor phone. I got rid of VZW's clunky software though, and installed the altell software, got full bluetooth enabled since vzw blocks it out and just basically unlocked the full power of the phone.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jan on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:18 am

Our third game of the year and finally a win. Seeing Crosby's 100th point was priceless, as were our seats in the second row behind the runway. Will definitely look into getting those seats next season. I told the girls they could go in late to school today but noooo, they had to get there first thing to brag and show off pictures. :)

Milestones give us a way to measure players. Like Crosby being the youngest ever to reach 100 points. If he would have been the youngest ever to score one goal or to get 99 points...the number doesn't matter, but it does matter in relation to other players' numbers. Just another way of keeping score.
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins