Onorato declares victory

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Onorato declares victory

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:38 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06108/682963-336.stm

Now Barden has committed, Onorato said it is "not if, but when we build the arena". His spokeman said the arena will be built now. Let's see if the Pens agree with that.

The article also says Forest City may have a "big" announcement concerning the arena situation at tommorow's meeting. If they commit, then the ball is in the Pens court then.

I definitley hope the IOC will show a strong showing tommorow. My second favorite is now Barden.

Not only for the arena, but for for the city as well. We need development on the Hill first and foremost. But a second area will be additions to the North Shore.

I hope this works out.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guido on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:49 am

'big announcement'.....

this can only mean 1 thing...they'll be on board to submit the yearly 7 mil as well. if that happens, the pens are saved, for sure, 99.9%, right?
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:51 am

I would think if Harrah's/FC decides to help fund an arena, then it's irrelevant who wins the license. Yes, the Pens would be saved!!!
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:02 am

Actually, Rendell's "plan B" has other imnportant questions that need answers.

How much say do the Pens have is how the arena is designed/constructed?

Who owns the arena?

Who operates the area?

Who gets the money from non-hockey events?

I am sure there are others. If Harrah's is onboard with Plan B now as is Barden, that is a major step in the right direction, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

I still believe IoC has the best proposal and their plan does more for downtown Pittsburgh, but as long as the Pens are happy with the outcome and stay put for the next 30 years or more, I'm happy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DrBoni on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:03 am

I'd say 99.5% would be a safe bet....

But with the way things have gone for the Pens the last ten years, I will hold off celebrating until Mario lays that cornerstone. There are other issues with Plan B, but I think if we can get through where all the money is coming from, then the Pens can get what they want from the arena deal.

After that though, it will be time to parrrrtay.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:01 am

Guido wrote:'big announcement'.....

this can only mean 1 thing...they'll be on board to submit the yearly 7 mil as well. if that happens, the pens are saved, for sure, 99.9%, right?

There are still a lot of questions to be answered, and the Pens themselves have to agree to the deal. W/O them, there is no deal. We also need a new ownership group that will keep them here under plan B.

There is still a long way to go and nothing is certain. Like I said, this is a roller coaster ride, and right now we are at a high. We probably won't know until winter if they are staying or not.

And we don't know what the "big announcement" is from FC. THey may say, "THe Pens have to commit first and then we will talk", and the Pens will respond, "They have to commit the money, then we will talk."
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:23 am

He is a premature speculator.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins