With the addition of Hossa what does it mean for Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

With the addition of Hossa what does it mean for Crosby

Postby soljaheas on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:27 am

I have asked for the opinion from many of the fans here on this board. So assuming that Hossa comes back next season, is it possible for Crosby to get 100 assists? He came close last year with 84 assists playing with Malone and Recchi for most of the season. Next season he will have Hossa who is a finsher, I think he can get it. Thoughts?
soljaheas
 

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 am

I'm just thinking of that commerical where Sid asks "Is this the year someone scores 200 points?"

I think it went something like that. Hopefully he beats Gretz's record and puts an exclamation point at the end. I would love to hear how 99 takes it considering he said himself that Crosby is the one person who can do it. I tend to think he would be a little upset. :)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,772
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby KG on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am

If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby interstorm on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 pm

even if he got 120 assists, he'd still need 80 goals...and thats not gonna happen. the NHL was so different back then. goaltending and defense is drastically better than it was, penalties went the full time regardless of how many goals were scored...there was so much.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm

KG wrote:If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D


I don't follow that logic, you don't just add 50 assists to crosby's total if you assume Hossa scores 50 goals.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,254
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,772
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby KG on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
KG wrote:If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D


I don't follow that logic, you don't just add 50 assists to crosby's total if you assume Hossa scores 50 goals.


That's why I put a :D ....tongue in cheek...

Seriously though. If Hossa is around next year, Crosby could hit 150 points...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby soljaheas on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:38 pm

ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.


As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.



I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.
soljaheas
 

Postby ulf on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 pm

soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.


As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.



I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.


32 pts in 19 games sincce Sid went down.
1.68 pts per game.
over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,990
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm

With guys like Malkin and Letang entrenched on the powerplay for years to come, Sid will likely surpass 150-160 points a few times if he can stay healthy. Letang will be a big-time scoring defenseman before its all said and done.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,847
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Postby charlesroast on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:00 pm

200 will be very hard. As with any sport, when the game has rule changes, some records will be shattered and some will stand for a long long time.

Look at baseball as an example...forget the juiced ball. The mound was lowered years ago because pitchers had too much of an advantage. Now look at it, certain pitching records will never be touched and offensive numbers are through the roof.

Unless goalie pads are shortened or forgive me saying this-the goal is made bigger, some of Gretzkys records will be untouchable...forever.
charlesroast
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:12 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby crzymike on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:03 pm

ulf wrote:
soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.


As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.



I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.


32 pts in 19 games sincce Sid went down.
1.68 pts per game.
over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.
Not to discredit you but its 32 points (13 g 19 a) in 18 games. :wink:
Last edited by crzymike on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby soljaheas on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm

charlesroast wrote:200 will be very hard. As with any sport, when the game has rule changes, some records will be shattered and some will stand for a long long time.

Look at baseball as an example...forget the juiced ball. The mound was lowered years ago because pitchers had too much of an advantage. Now look at it, certain pitching records will never be touched and offensive numbers are through the roof.

Unless goalie pads are shortened or forgive me saying this-the goal is made bigger, some of Gretzkys records will be untouchable...forever.


Not to mention most goalies didn't even know how to play the position. They were flopping around all over the place. I don't think anyone will get close to 200 points. Another staggering stat is the 50 goals in 39 games which is absolutely insane. I don't anyone will touch that. Maybe Hossa if he sticks around for a year or two, but I am sure that he will only be around for this season.
soljaheas
 

Postby Noise on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 pm

I think Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Malkin can all do 50 in 50.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,439
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Postby JS© on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm

ulf wrote:over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.


YES! A gong show reference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,571
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Postby ulf on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 pm

crzymike wrote:
ulf wrote:
soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.


As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.



I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.


32 pts in 19 games sincce Sid went down.
1.68 pts per game.
over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.
Not to discredit you but its 32 points (16 g 16 a) in 18 games. :wink:


I might have counted the game Sid was hurt...oh well even more points :)
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,990
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Postby pensfannn on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:04 pm

I was serious when I asked who will be Sid's new roommate on the road. Anyone know?
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,079
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby jimjom on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, that thread was whacked quickly.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,860
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Postby pensfannn on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 pm

It wasn't a flippant question, any more than "Does Hossa have a nickname?" or "Are they gonna still air that car commercial now that Army's gone?".

WTF
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,079
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby jimjom on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 pm

pensfannn wrote:It wasn't a flippant question, any more than "Does Hossa have a nickname?" or "Are they gonna still air that car commercial now that Army's gone?".

WTF


I think it stemmed from those photos attached of that track star, I remember them causing a media thing a few months back, it wasn't your fault. I would wager Crosby would room by himself or with Hossa for now, as captain he may be designated to show Hossa the ropes and get him acclimated.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,860
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Postby WHITEY1 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Do you think that Hossa might be kept in case we cannot keep Malkin? If we keep Hossa and someone offers Malkin something drastic, at least we get the 4 1st rounders and we get to keep Hossa? I dont think we will let Malkin go, but you never know?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,603
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Postby crzymike on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:23 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Do you think that Hossa might be kept in case we cannot keep Malkin? If we keep Hossa and someone offers Malkin something drastic, at least we get the 4 1st rounders and we get to keep Hossa? I dont think we will let Malkin go, but you never know?
:evil:

The chances of us letting Evgeni Malkin go is about the same as us letting Crosby go. Both are untouchable and will be signed long term!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby WHITEY1 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:28 pm

NOt trying to be the bad guy, but we didnt think we would get Hossa either.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,603
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Postby crzymike on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:NOt trying to be the bad guy, but we didnt think we would get Hossa either.
As great a player as Hossa is, he's not 21 and he's not as good as Geno. The scary part is Malkin will only get better. Hossa is in his prime years now. Malkin and Crosby are the two that cannot be traded for any reason any time soon.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Real Deal Jimmy Neal, tnt118 and 12 guests


e-mail