Could a big night tonight win the Calder for Sid?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Could a big night tonight win the Calder for Sid?

Postby Mountaineer on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:15 am

Fresh off a game in which he became the youngest player ever to reach 100 points. Playing in Toronto where the resident hockey media would like nothing more than to award the Calder to one of their own. I think if Sid were to have a big game tonight (hat trick), he just might be able to swing some votes his way, enough to win him the Calder. What a fitting end that would be to this season.
Mountaineer
 

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:22 am

If he has a big night then sure but you really think 3 goals is a big night for Crosby? At this point a big night is 6+ points considering what he has been doing on a normal basis since the trade deadline.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,294
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby relantel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:30 am

Yes, it would be fitting, but I don't think it will sway enough voters to make it happen for Sid. As much as I want Sid to win the Calder, the realist in me says AO already has it locked up with enough voters to win.

Where Sid has hope perhaps is pulling votes away from Lundqvist and Phaneuf and others...

Half of me wishes for a 3+5 night, while the other wants to see game close enough that Tor pulls Aubin, and the Pens finally score an ENG in the last game of the year...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,977
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Postby Admin on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:32 am

relantel wrote:As much as I want Sid to win the Calder, the realist in me says AO already has it locked up with enough voters to win.

I agree. It's already over.

Let's enjoy Crosby's season for what it was!
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,806
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:38 am

Admin wrote:
relantel wrote:As much as I want Sid to win the Calder, the realist in me says AO already has it locked up with enough voters to win.

I agree. It's already over.

Let's enjoy Crosby's season for what it was!


You are talking like the season is over already. It is more than realistic to expect that Crosby can get 4 points tonight and be the highest scoring 18 year old in NHL history. That is enough to get the team pumped up tonight and also does not carry the same amount of weight trying to get 100 at the last home game. I too am resolved that Ovechkin has earned the Calder but Crosby can still get in the record books.

But if somehow Crosby has 11 points tonight he would pass Gretzky's WHA record of 110 points as an 18 year old which would be great and I think might even be Calder worthy but it isn't happening.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,294
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Admin on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:45 am

DelPen wrote:You are talking like the season is over already.

There's another game?! When will this season ever end.... :lol:

Seriously, passing Hawerchuk would be nice but it seems to me his goal was getting to 100.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,806
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:47 am

He needs to get a few more to set the new team record and surpass Lemieux's.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,424
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby jmh470 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:57 am

If Crosby reaches 40 goals tonight he should earn plenty of votes.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,375
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Sidney proud to be 2nd...

Postby penny lane on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:01 am

I think Sidney with his points explosion in the past 2 weeks can be
at peace with his season.

Second to Alexander Ovechkin is fine when most know in different years both are calder winners.

Points & goals tonight is a pie in the face to Leaf nation!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,489
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:10 am

jmh470 wrote:If Crosby reaches 40 goals tonight he should earn plenty of votes.

I'd definitely like to see him hit the 40 goal mark.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,424
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Could a big night tonight win the Calder for Sid?

Postby pfim on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:26 am

Only if he goes Sittler tonight. He'd have to make a HUGE statement to overcome 52 goals, the bad press he's gotten for arguing, and the press he's gotten from supposedly diving 3 times a shift with all evidence to the contrary.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Could a big night tonight win the Calder for Sid?

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 pm

pfim wrote:Only if he goes Sittler tonight. He'd have to make a HUGE statement to overcome 52 goals, the bad press he's gotten for arguing, and the press he's gotten from supposedly diving 3 times a shift with all evidence to the contrary.


Funny, I mentioned above Crosby would need 11 points to pass Gretzky's 110 point WHA rookie year. Sittler's record is 10 points (6G, 4A; Joe Malone got 7G in 1920). If by some miracle Sid breaks, or at least ties that record tonight he will win the Calder.

-He would lead rookies in scoring
-He would finish 3rd in overall scoring
-He would have the record for most points in a game
-He would have the highest point total of any 18 year old in a professional league in NA

Of course the chances of that happening are less than me winning Mega Millions tonight but wouldn't that be amazing?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,294
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:13 pm

One arguement no one has brought up is Crosby did not record any empty net goals or assists. I'm sure AO has at least a couple goals and assists on ENs.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,846
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:One arguement no one has brought up is Crosby did not record any empty net goals or assists. I'm sure AO has at least a couple goals and assists on ENs.


This is about as relevant as the shot total. But if you are really curious, Ovechkin had ZERO EN goals.

RK Player Pos Team GP ESG PPG SHG 1G OTG GWG GTG HmG RdG DvG ODvG ENG G/G G A Pts +/-
1 ALEXANDER OVECHKIN L WSH 80 28 21 3 12 2 5 0 24 28 16 36 0 .65 52 53 105 2
2 SIDNEY CROSBY C PIT 80 22 16 0 8 3 5 0 21 17 24 14 0 .48 38 62 100 -1
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,294
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:25 pm

I stand corrected then. Thanks for looking up that info.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,846
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Postby relantel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 pm

DelPen wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:One arguement no one has brought up is Crosby did not record any empty net goals or assists. I'm sure AO has at least a couple goals and assists on ENs.


This is about as relevant as the shot total. But if you are really curious, Ovechkin had ZERO EN goals.

RK Player Pos Team GP ESG PPG SHG 1G OTG GWG GTG HmG RdG DvG ODvG ENG G/G G A Pts +/-
1 ALEXANDER OVECHKIN L WSH 80 28 21 3 12 2 5 0 24 28 16 36 0 .65 52 53 105 2
2 SIDNEY CROSBY C PIT 80 22 16 0 8 3 5 0 21 17 24 14 0 .48 38 62 100 -1


That doesn't answer the ENA question, but you are right, it doesnt matter - cause you still have to work to get that ENG, as evidenced by the Pens failure to get one against NJ last week coming back to haunt them as NJ tied the game late and won in OT.

It would be unreasonable to expect a 10 point night, and even a 5-6 point night is a stretch based on performance to date - Sid's most in one game has been 4 points, on at least 3 occaisions. On the other hand, the Leafs have nothing to play for, and have called up some minor leaguers for tonight. But yes, such a night would be sweet if it happened.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,977
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Postby elij21 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 pm

Don't judge a show until the fat lady sings. The season isn't over yet, the calder cup isn't up for graps anymore. Will see what happens tonight but i believe that the highest scoring rookie will win it. And if Crosby can get 5 or 6 points tonight and ovechkin chokes. Then Crosby has a shot but c'mon guys 10 points. He's not GOD
elij21
 

Postby relantel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:46 pm

elij21 wrote:Don't judge a show until the fat lady sings. The season isn't over yet, the calder cup isn't up for graps anymore. Will see what happens tonight but i believe that the highest scoring rookie will win it. And if Crosby can get 5 or 6 points tonight and ovechkin chokes. Then Crosby has a shot but c'mon guys 10 points. He's not GOD


He is not GOD, but records were made to be broken. And if anyone can do it, it is Sid. And with the pressure of 100 out of the way... Sure, Sid could just as easily be blanked. But it will be fun watching. (well, Tivo'ing and watching later... stayed home to watch last night live, and have to go to a meeting tonight)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,977
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

e-mail