Lottery predictions...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Lottery predictions...

Postby Mountaineer on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:26 pm

In less than 48 hours, we will know where (and probably who) the Pens will be picking in the draft. I think the Blues will win the lottery, meaning Erik Johnson will be a Blue, leaving Phil Kessel to the Pens, another high scoring forward to add to their already formidable arsenal of forwards.

Let's go Pens!!!!!
Mountaineer

Postby mojination on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:29 pm

Is anyone else not quite sold on Kessel?
mojination

Postby BurghThing on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:39 pm

I have to admit, Staal intrigues me.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby elij21 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:40 pm

NOT Kessel, Toews is my pick
Toews isn't a pure goal scorer but he'a a better hockey player then Kessel. He's a better fit for the pens because he's a right handed shot and would be perfect on the rightwing with Crosby.
There going to pick Toews, he's probably the safest pick.
elij21

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:40 pm

mojination wrote:Is anyone else not quite sold on Kessel?

A lot of people aren't sold on him. Almost everyone thinks Eric Johnson is #1, then the debate is between Staal and Kessel. It might almost be a relief to pick #3 so we can't rip the GM for picking one or the other. I think Toews is a solid #4 but not what we need right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Chicago wins the lottery, moves to #1 and takes Johnson. St. Louis then picks Kessel. The Pens then take Staal. :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:47 pm

If Pens are #3, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Niklas Backstrom.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:52 pm

Bowser wrote:If Pens are #3, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Niklas Backstrom.

Me either actually. Although recent draft history suggests a USA College pick...meaning Towes. European picks are sooo 90's! :P
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Bowser wrote:If Pens are #3, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Niklas Backstrom.

I hope they do. He's my favorite prospect in this draft, and is also someone whose stock is rising.

When you look at the Pens and Washington, we have the best two young players in the game, period. I'd almost feel bad if one of us ends up with another top pick. Almost. I'm kind of hoping St Louis just secures their spot.

If Chicago wins, I think they might trade the pick. They have a great group of young defensemen and prospects, so they might be able to get a good offer from someone who wants Johnson badly.

I think Johnson should be the consensus number 1 at this point, but it isn't a huge margin.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Kicksave on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:54 pm

elij21 wrote:NOT Kessel, Toews is my pick
Toews isn't a pure goal scorer but he'a a better hockey player then Kessel. He's a better fit for the pens because he's a right handed shot and would be perfect on the rightwing with Crosby.

Then where does Armstrong go? I would think they'd keep Army and Crosby together and look for a left wing.

Plus, McKeen's hockey has him listed as lefty, not righty.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/viewpro ... _key=30681
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby prez41 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:12 pm

Daily - 512
Big Four - 1013
Cash 5 - 1, 5, 19, 26, 33
Powerball - 4, 8, 9, 11, 16, 39 PB - 40

Sorry, couldn't resist
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Kicksave wrote:
elij21 wrote:NOT Kessel, Toews is my pick

Then where does Armstrong go? I would think they'd keep Army and Crosby together and look for a left wing.

Plus, McKeen's hockey has him listed as lefty, not righty.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/viewpro ... _key=30681

McKeen's also lists Staal and Backstrom as lefties.

Kessel is a righty though. In addition, Crosby, Malone, Malkin, Christensen, Hilbert, Talbot, Endicott, Taticek, Hussey and Stone are all lefties. We don't have a single guy who plays center or will take faceoffs on a regular basis that is right handed.

I think Kessel will be a wing in the NHL whichever team he plays for but it would be very nice to have a guy who can take face offs who is also a righty. So I'm leaning Kessel if Johnson is off the board even more now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:17 pm

DelPen wrote:McKeen's also lists Staal and Backstrom as lefties.

Kessel is a righty though. In addition, Crosby, Malone, Malkin, Christensen, Hilbert, Talbot, Endicott, Taticek, Hussey and Stone are all lefties. We don't have a single guy who plays center or will take faceoffs on a regular basis that is right handed.

I think Kessel will be a wing in the NHL whichever team he plays for but it would be very nice to have a guy who can take face offs who is also a righty. So I'm leaning Kessel if Johnson is off the board even more now.

I'm with you here, DelPen. The team has nothing but lefties, which will bite them down the line if they don't start correcting it now. Plus, with Crosby, Malkin and Malone down the middle, the Pens are stacked with two-way centers who can score, pass, skate and play defense. Add in guys like Armstrong, Hilbert, Leclair, etc, and you will see that, aside from Ouellet and maybe Christensen, the Pens lack a player who can be labeled as having a sniper mentality. And just because they have that mentality doesn't mean it will translate to anything.

From everything I have read, Staal and Toews are all-around players -- exactly what the Pens don't need. Meanwhile, Kessel has shown the shoot-first mentality the Pens need. He may not be a better all-around player than the other two, but he is more along the lines of what the Pens need.

My vote goes to Kessel, without a doubt.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:34 pm

mojination wrote:Is anyone else not quite sold on Kessel?

I'm not. This draft confuses and confounds me. I look at the numbers that Kessel put up and I'm underwhelmed. I also have heard as have we all reports about his playmaking ability and training methods not being all there. If we get him, hope he doesn't turn out like Robert Dome!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins