Any fans of Dave Taylor as next Pens GM?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Any fans of Dave Taylor as next Pens GM?

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 pm

LA fired Dave Taylor.

Anyone interested in him taking over the reigns in Pittsburgh?
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Rick Dudley
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Craig Patrick
Reilly

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:25 pm

I would go Tambellini, Dudley and then Taylor.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm in the column that wants Jim Nill. Detroit's been run too well, and he's been right there with them. Sign him, let him bring over their system and maybe some of their scouts, and we may well be in business.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:45 pm

My top 5 choices:
Neil Smith
Rick Dudley
Dave Taylor
Steve Tambellini
Ron Francis
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Bill - Nill was my third choice but I like Dave Taylor. I bet with Lombardi going to LA, Islanders may quickly snap up Taylor.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Stoosh on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:11 pm

If I had to pick one, Jim Nill is at the top of my list. He didn't design the blueprint, but he's seen it and he's worked for almost a decade with the guy that did design it.

I'd love to see them look at Steve Tambellini. I think Ray Shero (who's helped build two solid franchises) and Dave Taylor would certainly merit a look. I'd also hope they give a good look at Neil Smith.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:20 pm

cojac wrote:top 5 choices:
Neil Smith

are you serious? You realize he was the reason the Rangers missed the playoffs for half a decade. :roll:
Reilly

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Reilly - You are showing your ignorance yet again. The NYR ownership forced Smith to take on some high salaries. Did he make some bad decision, no doubt but he wasn't the sole reason the Rangers franchise bombed.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Bowser wrote:Did he make some bad decision, no doubt but he wasn't the sole reason the Rangers franchise bombed.

Then what was?
Reilly

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Reilly - I'm not about to hold a history class, go to google for that help.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:48 pm

Bowser wrote:Reilly - I'm not about to hold a history class, go to google for that help.

Smith acquired a succession of veteran players with expensive contracts, including Theoren Fleury and Sylvain Lefebvre, and drafted a host of promising young players, the team continued to underperform and has missed the playoffs every season since. Smith's critics derided him for what they called a grocery-shopping approach to team-building; in him they saw a keen eye for talent but an inability to understand how to effectively combine a roster of actual players and personalities and a lack of restraint in acquiring free agents, which they believed delayed the development of the young players the team would need in the future. In 2000 he was fired and replaced with Glen Sather.

sounds like a good hire :roll:
Reilly

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Reilly, make no mistake about it, Neil Smith is not in my top five.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwipens on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Bowser wrote:I would go Tambellini, Dudley and then Taylor.

Nothing wrong with that list at all.

Brad
brwipens

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Reilly wrote:
Bowser wrote:Reilly - I'm not about to hold a history class, go to google for that help.

Smith acquired a succession of veteran players with expensive contracts, including Theoren Fleury and Sylvain Lefebvre, and drafted a host of promising young players, the team continued to underperform and has missed the playoffs every season since. Smith's critics derided him for what they called a grocery-shopping approach to team-building; in him they saw a keen eye for talent but an inability to understand how to effectively combine a roster of actual players and personalities and a lack of restraint in acquiring free agents, which they believed delayed the development of the young players the team would need in the future. In 2000 he was fired and replaced with Glen Sather.

You do understand that a GM has a boss, right? :roll:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Daniel wrote:
Reilly wrote:

You do understand that a GM has a boss, right? :roll:

What's that have to do with anything? Neil Smith had an unlimited payroll. He could bring in any players he wanted and still couldn't win. Not even having a respectable record. The only pressure Neil Smith had in NY was to win, which, every GM in the league has.
Reilly

Postby Jesse on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:21 pm

Tambellini.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:21 pm

Reilly wrote:The only pressure Neil Smith had in NY was to win, which, every GM in the league has.

Except Craig Patrick! :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:27 pm

My choices would be Dudley and then Nill. Dudley, if memory serves me correctly, was the GM who put together the Senators and then moved on to put together the Stanley Cup Champion Lightning. While he may not be a long-term solution, I think he has shown the ability to put together a powerhouse team of young players. As for bringing in free agents and whatnot, I'm not sure how good he is.

And, as Stoosh has pointed out several times, Nill has been around one of the best franchises in hockey for the last few years. He has seen what ingredients are needed for success. In my opinion, he would be more of a long-term answer, but maybe a bit more of a gamble, as he might not be as saavy as we expect. At least with Dudley, we know what he can do, as we have seen it with previous teams.

Essentially, I think Ken Sawyer will have a nice selection of candidates to replace CP. This job, despite the team's unsure future, will be an attractive one, considering all of the top-end prospects the Penguins already have, and will gain in the near future.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Bowser wrote:Reilly - You are showing your ignorance yet again. The NYR ownership forced Smith to take on some high salaries. Did he make some bad decision, no doubt but he wasn't the sole reason the Rangers franchise bombed.

Neil Smith is my top choice too.

I am more inclined to blame the Rangers long run of non-playoff ineptitude on Dave Checketts and the unrealistic burdens of playing in NYC-and the sense of entitlement that comes with that distinction-than I am on Neil Smith. Bear in mind that he was fired in March of 2000 and the team STILL missed the playoffs four more times.

Plus, Smith did construct a Stanley Cup winner in '94. No easy task that...

Finally, his '89 draft class in Detroit stands as one of the finest in recent memory...

His background as GM on a Cup-winning team and, arguably, prime architect of two more in Detroit, make him a fine choice. Plus, he always had a good relationship with ownership wherever he went-Ilitch, Checketts, etc.-but can also be a forceful executive in his own right...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Bowser wrote:Reilly - You are showing your ignorance yet again. The NYR ownership forced Smith to take on some high salaries. Did he make some bad decision, no doubt but he wasn't the sole reason the Rangers franchise bombed.

Eric, and how is that different than the Pens organization over the last 7 seasons? Too many decisions were forced on the organization through economics or pet favorites.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Batman21 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm in LA, watched the Kings all year. I think while Taylor may fit-in in Pittsburgh, there are other candidates that can contribute.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Ron - CP refused to hire a full-time Assistant GM, Director of Player Personnel, and qualified coaches (Edzo/Hillier/Mullen). He has allowed Greg Malone to retain his job even after his failures throughout the 90s and early 2000's to draft top end talent.

Other than the obvious picks of Whitney, Fleury, Malkin and Crosby, Pittsburgh hasn't drafted a top end talent sine Martin Straka in 1992!

When CP was up against the wall to work his 'magic' during Kevin Constantine's first season, he did some of his best work to assemble maginal players like Robert Lang, Martin Straka, Jiri Slegr, Brad Werenka, German Titov, etc.

He also couldn't plan for the future, one by ignoring the failures of the drafts and two by holding onto players like Francis, Barrasso, Lang, Straka, Kovalev, and Jagr for way longer than the organization could afford to do.

The team is stale in its hockey operations compared to 26-27 other NHL teams. The bad teams like Pittsburgh, Boston and Chicago are stuck in the old guard.

I know the retort for many CP fans is ownership has overstepped their bounds like Baldwin negotiating Lemieux's contract or Lemieux wanting his buddies around.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:31 pm

Reilly wrote:
Daniel wrote:What's that have to do with anything? Neil Smith had an unlimited payroll. He could bring in any players he wanted and still couldn't win. Not even having a respectable record. The only pressure Neil Smith had in NY was to win, which, every GM in the league has.

Yea, Neil Smith decided to spend all the money, he has no boss :roll:. Did it ever occur to you that the owners threw money his way and said "spend it"? :roll:

Yea, New York doesn't have more pressure than other places. :roll:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins