Whitney = melted butter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Whitney = melted butter

Postby Kharlamov on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 pm

is there any player in the league softer than this guy. hopefully letang will improve over the next year or two and we can dump whitney. i understand offensive d-men who don't focus on punishing the opponent, but this guy does not do anything physically.

bye
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby imnosortoffabric on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:33 pm

he certainly isn't improving....actually he is regressing :(
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby crzymike on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 pm

imnosortoffabric wrote:he certainly isn't improving....actually he is regressing :(
Agreed
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cs6687 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 pm

I love threads that single out one player after a game in which 90 percent of the team stunk. :roll:
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby imnosortoffabric on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 pm

cs6687 wrote:I love threads that single out one player after a game in which 90 percent of the team stunk. :roll:

yes because he was just not good tonight. What game couldn't we have this thread. He hasn't been good all season besides the game right after therrian singled him out.
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 pm

imnosortoffabric wrote:
cs6687 wrote:I love threads that single out one player after a game in which 90 percent of the team stunk. :roll:

yes because he was just not good tonight. What game couldn't we have this thread. He hasn't been good all season besides the game right after therrian singled him out.

What game HAVEN'T we had this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:54 pm

exactly, put it in the game thread
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cs6687 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:55 pm

He did play bad tonight. However, Letang has a worse plus/minus than Whitney, and was non-existant for most of February. However, nobody called him out. That's just a bit of a double-standard, don't you think?
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby westside on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:56 pm

I try to stay positive with Whit, but he did have a bad game tonight. It was hard to notice since the rest of the team did too. Pens looked very unfocused. Oh, well. Just one game, another important one coming up on Sunday.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby imnosortoffabric on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 pm

cs6687 wrote:He did play bad tonight. However, Letang has a worse plus/minus than Whitney, and was non-existant for most of February. However, nobody called him out. That's just a bit of a double-standard, don't you think?

letang is a rookie who looked pretty damn good tonight by the way.....whitney is in his third season in the nhl. if letang is as bad as whitney in his third year then i will complain.
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 pm

cs6687 wrote:He did play bad tonight. However, Letang has a worse plus/minus than Whitney, and was non-existant for most of February. However, nobody called him out. That's just a bit of a double-standard, don't you think?

Wait till next year. Letang will be crucified on here after bad games... see Jordan Staal :)
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 pm

But I thought Letang was the Messiah? Surely no one will turn on him, ever.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmcst35 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 am

Look.. Whitney definitely is an amazing offensive d-man on our team. We all know that. I just can't believe that his 1 on 1 or corner work is so bad. That's honestly hockey 101 for d-men.

You have a good enough offense.. you now need team defense. Coach needs to switch our 1 on 1 down low (d-zone) to something else. We also need team back checking if this will work in the playoffs.

If we played a 1-2-2 or a 2-3 or even a simple trap or a left/right wing lock we can give our d-men some consistency to step up earlier. The cycle is killing out nuetral zone play because all 3 guys seemed to get trapped a LOT easier.

There are a lot of ways to make up for a bad 1 on 1 d-man and coach needs to implement a structure or else we'll be ousted in the playoffs.
jmcst35

Postby bhaw on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 am

jmcst35 wrote:Look.. Whitney definitely is an amazing offensive d-man on our team. We all know that. I just can't believe that his 1 on 1 or corner work is so bad. That's honestly hockey 101 for d-men.

You have a good enough offense.. you now need team defense. Coach needs to switch our 1 on 1 down low (d-zone) to something else. We also need team back checking if this will work in the playoffs.

If we played a 1-2-2 or a 2-3 or even a simple trap or a left/right wing lock we can give our d-men some consistency to step up earlier. The cycle is killing out nuetral zone play because all 3 guys seemed to get trapped a LOT easier.

There are a lot of ways to make up for a bad 1 on 1 d-man and coach needs to implement a structure or else we'll be ousted in the playoffs.

Weren't we playng a 1-2-2 last night vs TB? I could have sworn we were at least for a good chunk of the game. Espo even specifically pointed it out on the radio saying the TB was totally baffled on how to handle it because there were no Pens pressuring them out of their zone.

PS - For all the MT haters... he was matching lines tonight (again, at least for part of the game)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby imnosortoffabric on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 am

bhaw wrote:
jmcst35 wrote:Look.. Whitney definitely is an amazing offensive d-man on our team. We all know that. I just can't believe that his 1 on 1 or corner work is so bad. That's honestly hockey 101 for d-men.

Weren't we playng a 1-2-2 last night vs TB? I could have sworn we were at least for a good chunk of the game. Espo even specifically pointed it out on the radio saying the TB was totally baffled on how to handle it because there were no Pens pressuring them out of their zone.

yep we sure were
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby imnosortoffabric on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:06 am

the problem is...our defenders back up almost to the goaltender when an opponent comes at them with the puck. its almost like they retreat hoping an offensive player backchecks and it not...hope the goalie makes the save.
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby clover11 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 am

imnosortoffabric wrote:the problem is...our defenders back up almost to the goaltender when an opponent comes at them with the puck. its almost like they retreat hoping an offensive player backchecks and it not...hope the goalie makes the save.

probably just got used to conklin now and think he is there to make a save when for example they allow 50 shots on goal...
clover11

Postby imnosortoffabric on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:10 am

clover11 wrote:
imnosortoffabric wrote:the problem is...our defenders back up almost to the goaltender when an opponent comes at them with the puck. its almost like they retreat hoping an offensive player backchecks and it not...hope the goalie makes the save.

probably just got used to conklin now and think he is there to make a save when for example they allow 50 shots on goal...

its been happening a long time before conklin
imnosortoffabric
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby clover11 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:11 am

imnosortoffabric wrote:
clover11 wrote:

but it seems to be happening more since he was in goal, i may just be imagining that though.
clover11

Postby jmcst35 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 am

bhaw wrote:

PS - For all the MT haters... he was matching lines tonight (again, at least for part of the game)

you can't play a 1-2-2 w/ a cycle... almost all of hockey is transition hockey. If u have 3 trapped then you have NO nuetral zone play at all.

It's hockey 101. In fact when I was 4 years old learning. The cycle was the first thing we were taught. Lol. Sad.

Focus on this.. we dump the puck in.. if we are playing a 1-2-2 then ONE GUY goes after... 2 play top of the circles and DONT LEAN IN and the dman stay nuetral on the blue line .

THEN if they get past our first guy.. we back up and cause them to stall and then we attack.

You can't do that w/ 2 guys chasing for a cycle. Since hockey is mostly transition... you need to play a system that counters from d-zone to nuetral zone to offensive zone.

You can't play three seperate styles. You can't play the cycle then say "Oh we're going to trap as well" It doesn't work. If you dump the puck in (like the pens do..) 1 guy chases 2 guys stay higher. If we get the puck in the corner we need to come out w/ it or keep a guy w/ D-SIDE POSITIONING in the cycle. If 2 guys get trapped then we simply have a break down in the system.

I believe the Pens play the best when they get rid of the cycle... play high in the offensive zone and play GOOD defense and create turnovers and odd man situations. That cycle almost generates NO offense. It's so stupid for laraque to skate around.. hold the puck then throw it wildly to no one. Even if he connects on a pass... he can't open up for a shot.. ORR even cover a d-man because he is to slow.

It's pointless
jmcst35

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 am

clover11 wrote:
imnosortoffabric wrote:
clover11 wrote:

but it seems to be happening more since he was in goal, i may just be imagining that though.

You are. They've consistently done it throughout MT's reign.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:55 am

cs6687 wrote:I love coaches like MT that single out one player after a game in which 90 percent of the team stunk. :roll:

Fixed it for you.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am

And when it is a good game but someone comments on a player doing poorly people say things like "I love threads that single out one player after a game in which the team overall looked great. Can't we just be happy we won?"
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby phi83mark on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:44 am

It's not even his defense anymore. His passing has become really lazy as well. He frustrates me so bad at times. Also, what happened to his ability to bang the puck home on those cross ice passes. It seems like he holds it forever and waits for everyone to get set up in front of him.
phi83mark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am

it seems like Crosby has a good game every time. Malone has a good game every time. Conklinator pretty much has a good game, letang sometimes, Orpik at least trys and punishes the team each game, kennedy and those guys hussle their asses off each game...i mean we just need more players like these. whiteny just dosnt seem to try and not good at what he is supposed to do. play solid D and score.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins