How can Crosby improve his game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How can Crosby improve his game?

Postby Mountaineer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:50 am

Opinions? What about one-timers? I noticed this season that he didn't take very many, and perhaps that's more the result of his linemates/teammates.
Mountaineer

Postby the wicked child on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:52 am

He can clone himself. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 am

By better instructing his linemates on where to go and avoiding needless penalties. Both will come with age.
NIN

Re: How can Crosby improve his game?

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:25 am

Mountaineer wrote:Opinions? What about one-timers? I noticed this season that he didn't take very many, and perhaps that's more the result of his linemates/teammates.

He just needs to get stronger as he matures. Reading about his workout regimen, I am confident that he is doing all he can to become even fitter. His strength will improve just by getting a few more years under his belt, but he commitment to fitness will ensure that he maximizes those "natural" gains.

Can you imagine how good he can be if he is even BETTER along the boards?

The other thing he needs to work on is channeling all of his competitive nature into putting the puck in the other team's net. Fighting the refs, yapping with the other team's players does nothing for him. That is just probably a matter of age.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:46 am

The only thing he can consciously do different is watch his temper. He did a good job the second half of the season but the less time he's in the box the better.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Everybody can improve... Even Lemieux could have improved at the top of his game... anything is possible.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:26 pm

Jim wrote:Everybody can improve... Even Lemieux could have improved at the top of his game... anything is possible.

OOH OOOOOH!!! I know!! I know!!!

FACEOFFS!!!!

If you are the best center and want to be on the ice in crunch time, you'd better be good on draws.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Sid's faceoffs seemed to get better as the year went on...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby superconan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:15 pm

keep/start to develop his man strength, and keep working on face-offs.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:23 pm

(1) Quit being a baby/watch his temper.

(2) Faceoffs.

(3) Sometimes trying to force a "too-cute" pass.

(4) Learn how to play goalie.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Grow 4-6 inches taller and add 25-35 pounds without losing any of his speed or explosiveness. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BacklashJack on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Keep the whining down and make sure not to force passes. Doesn't do it too often but occassionally he would press and try to force some things.
BacklashJack

Postby Paulie_Walnutz on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:41 am

I think the most important thing for him to do is to continue what ever he was doing. In the BC era, he was getting mugged on nearly every shift with no retaliation coming from his teammates. In the Philly game, he takes a stick to the chops once, breaking his teeth. No penalty. Takes another stick to the face from the same person. Yells to the ref and get's called for a penalty. The very next day, Ken Inchcock calls him a diver. So, then he's labeled by the refs and all the other teams who are piised that they didn't win the lottery. Refs start calling less penalties. Sid starts retaliating himself, get's called for a penalty, argues the call and gets slapped with an extra 2. So then, that seemed to be the norm for all the refs. The best way to put him in his place is call a rediculous penalty against him, wait for him to say one thing, and give him another one. It was never more evident when, just a couple of weeks ago, he got called on a bad hooking call. He said one thing, and he got the extra. It was almost like the refs had a vendetta against him. Heck, Ron Francis argued with the refs everytime there was a whistle. Anytime Kasparaitis is called for something, he acts like the ref must have been high.

I want to see Sid in the box alot less. But I don't want him to lose the passion. I think he is best when he's taking shots at opposing players behind the play. Or when someone takes a cheap shot at him.
He will learn when or when not to argue a bad call. This year was a good measuring stick for that. And I think next year, we will see an even better Sidney Crosby.

In case any of you were wondering what BC means...
Before Cairns.
Paulie_Walnutz

Postby Ginger on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 am

netwolf wrote:Grow 4-6 inches taller and add 25-35 pounds without losing any of his speed or explosiveness. :wink:

Add 186 pounds more in the form of Malkin. :P

Speaking of which, Sergei Gonchar offered some hope yesterday when he said it's his understanding that an agreement on Malkin could be completed some time in May.

Gonchar said he's heard that Vladislav Tretiak is the leading candidate to replace former Russian federation president Alexander Steblin, who resigned March 24. And that if Tretiak is voted in on April 25, an agreement would only be a matter of time.

I was in awe of Tretiak as a goalie for years & if he gets us Malkin, I will be forever available to wash his feet daily.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:49 am

the wicked child wrote:He can clone himself. ;)

Is that so that he can play with himself? :lol:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:02 am

Kicksave wrote:
the wicked child wrote:He can clone himself. ;)

Is that so that he can play with himself? :lol:

He's not allowed to bring girls home to Mario's house... this is all he has been doing for a year now...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pmh118 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 am

I'd like to see him develop a big slap shot. If you watch Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, it's really scary when they tee it up (even if they're at the top of the faceoff circle). I don't think it's quite the same when Crosby winds up, although he is VERY effective at faking shots and then shooting/passing.
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins