Aleksey Morozov, the Alien

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Aleksey Morozov, the Alien

Postby Tomas on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:19 am

As in "the RESIDENT Alien"

According to Russian media, Morozov is currently in the US to arrange his Green Card (how he was able to continue the Green Card process without being present in the States or being employed by a US company is beyond me).

Definitely a sign that he wants to keep his options open.

Also, he eventually decided to accept the invitation to play at 2006 WC.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 am

I really think he will be in the NHL next season, and it won't be for the Penguins.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tazman5099 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:32 am

If CP is gone, do you think that he would still consider the Pens? Not saying I would necessarily want him back, but just wondering if he would think that since the coach and GM are gone from when he was here, that he would consider this a fresh start. Would be interesting to see what he would demand salary-wise now.
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 am

Tazman5099 wrote:If CP is gone, do you think that he would still consider the Pens? Not saying I would necessarily want him back, but just wondering if he would think that since the coach and GM are gone from when he was here, that he would consider this a fresh start. Would be interesting to see what he would demand salary-wise now.

The Pens have to be an option and possibly his best one (but although maybe not ours). We need a #2 RW, preferable Russian to play with Malkin and have a ton of cap room. The fans generally don't dislike him and he knows the area.

If Malkin is here Morozov would probably have Pittsburgh the top of his list if the money is right.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:20 pm

DelPen wrote:If Malkin is here Morozov would probably have Pittsburgh the top of his list if the money is right.

That might be what he's thinking if he's keeping his visa papers in order.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:23 pm

It all depends on the money. If he wants to come back at or near the minimum of will accept an incentive-lader contract, fine.

If he wants $1.5 mill or more guaranteed, I think there are better options. I like AMo, but I need to see more consistency before guarenteeing him that kind of money.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Pitts wrote:
DelPen wrote:If Malkin is here Morozov would probably have Pittsburgh the top of his list if the money is right.

I doubt it's just that, someone will give him $3+ million next year, I'm only saying if Pittsburgh comes close to that AND has Malkin signed as well it would seem Morozov would easily chose Pittsburgh with the money being pretty much equal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:29 pm

DelPen wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I doubt it's just that, someone will give him $3+ million next year, I'm only saying if Pittsburgh comes close to that AND has Malkin signed as well it would seem Morozov would easily chose Pittsburgh with the money being pretty much equal.

In a capped environment, where is the logic in giving a wildly inconsistent Aleksey Morozov (whose BEST year was 20 goals) that kind of guaranteed money? I'm not disputing the possibility, but the wisdom.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

netwolf wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Pitts wrote:

In a capped environment, where is the logic in giving a wildly inconsistent Aleksey Morozov (whose BEST year was 20 goals) that kind of guaranteed money? I'm not disputing the possibility, but the wisdom.

Only because $3 million is not that much money still in a capped era for the leading scorer of the RSL. Someone with cap room to burn even if it's to get to the floor could make him an offer like that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mojination on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:22 pm

The KGB line perhaps?

Morozov > Malkin > Koltsov

I can see Koltsov being the stay-at-home defensive winger on that line while Malkin and Morozov provide the firepower.

Put Gonch in the mix ... if he plays up to his end of season form .. and that's a potent line for today's game.
mojination

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 pm

DelPen wrote:Only because $3 million is not that much money still in a capped era for the leading scorer of the RSL. Someone with cap room to burn even if it's to get to the floor could make him an offer like that.

You mean someone like the Pens??

I think 3mil is far too much for a Morozov who can work wonders in Russia, but has been not so impressive in the NHL. I'd like to see him back, but at a price more like 900K - 1.5 mil.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:48 am

Only because $3 million is not that much money still in a capped era for the leading scorer of the RSL. Someone with cap room to burn even if it's to get to the floor could make him an offer like that.[/quote]
You mean someone like the Washington Capitals? :lol:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:10 pm

As good as the RSL may be, it is not the NHL. I can't believe many GMs would shell out that kind of guaranteed money to a guy that's hit 20 goals in the NHL once, even if he's been the highest scorer in that league over the past two years. $3 mill for a 20 goal guy seems like a steep price.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Support Crew Russia wrote:However, the latest news say that AM stated that he is not going to stay with AkBars team with the former terms. He added that he has some intersting offers, BUT he would consider AKBars to be A PRIORITY team to play for, if AkBars is making the comparable offer in short time.

Interesting. So he seems to be saying that if the money is equal that he would prefer to play for Ak Bars, correct?
Admin
Site Admin

For right money

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:28 pm

for not too much $$$ i would bring him back,he surely can put up 30 goals with Malkin,add Ouellet/Malone/Hilbert to line and we have a winner.
For 1,5 mil.$ I say YESSS. 1 year contract.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:40 pm

Morozov shouldn't get more a million than anyone, maybe with some bonuses. He hasn't proven much of anything in the NHL, so he shouldn't be paid like he has. It's not like he's some talented guy who's never played in the NHL. He has and he always underachieved. That will hurt his value. To compare him to someone like Ichiro in baseball, it's not like he's some guy tearing up another league who never played in the majors.

I'm not a big fan of his, but he is skilled, and he probably would do well with Malkin. I'd sooner sign a proven NHLer like Sykora or Samsonov before I signed Morozov, even if they cost more.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby socket on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:46 pm

To bad there arent more Andre Roys to sign... What is that madman doing making all that money... :(

I doubt Morozov will be back.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ace on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:31 am

i don't understand this theory of "needing" a russian winger for Malkin.

Ovechkin didn't have any Russians on his line, he did fine,
I don't recall Kovalchuk having any Russians when he broke into the league, same for Pavel Bure.

The Pens need wingers for Crosby/Malkin, but they don't necessarily have to be Canadian or Russian, just good wingers that they can gel with.
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tinnick 23:58:00 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:56 am

If he were smart, he should try signing single-game contracts, then play for whoever is facing the Devils that night.
Tinnick 23:58:00

Postby netwolf on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:10 am

Ace wrote:i don't understand this theory of "needing" a russian winger for Malkin.

Ovechkin didn't have any Russians on his line, he did fine,
I don't recall Kovalchuk having any Russians when he broke into the league, same for Pavel Bure.

The Pens need wingers for Crosby/Malkin, but they don't necessarily have to be Canadian or Russian, just good wingers that they can gel with.

Ovechkin played most of the year with Daninus Zubrus. Techinically, he isn't Russian - he's Lithuainian, but close enough.

The main reason many people (including myself) would like to see a Russian winger (or at least a winger fluent in Russian) brought in to play with Malkin is because Malkin's english is not that good yet. Ovechkin had a lot better grasp of the english language when he came over than Malkin does now.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:24 pm

The funniest thing about Morozov is no one really thought much of him while he was here, and now that he's been tearing it up in Russia so many people are jumping to the conclusion that's he's got what it takes to be an NHL star. Sorry folks, you can't just transform into an elite player in two years. He couldn't do it in the NHL before, and he won't be able to in the future.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:52 pm

wondermoose wrote:The funniest thing about Morozov is no one really thought much of him while he was here, and now that he's been tearing it up in Russia so many people are jumping to the conclusion that's he's got what it takes to be an NHL star. Sorry folks, you can't just transform into an elite player in two years. He couldn't do it in the NHL before, and he won't be able to in the future.

Many players suddenly "get it" at an older age. Naslund, Straka and Lang come to mind immediately. Everyone said those three were done and would never amount to much in the NHL. When they were cut loose and told to go home, they finally figured it out. Morozov was beginning to show some team leadership when the lockout hit. Perhaps these past 2 seasons oin Russia finally gave him the confidence he needs at (what?) 28-29 the become the player everyone thought he would be. I think he should get another chance.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:43 pm

Pitts wrote:
wondermoose wrote:The funniest thing about Morozov is no one really thought much of him while he was here, and now that he's been tearing it up in Russia so many people are jumping to the conclusion that's he's got what it takes to be an NHL star. Sorry folks, you can't just transform into an elite player in two years. He couldn't do it in the NHL before, and he won't be able to in the future.

Many players suddenly "get it" at an older age. Naslund, Straka and Lang come to mind immediately. Everyone said those three were done and would never amount to much in the NHL. When they were cut loose and told to go home, they finally figured it out. Morozov was beginning to show some team leadership when the lockout hit. Perhaps these past 2 seasons oin Russia finally gave him the confidence he needs at (what?) 28-29 the become the player everyone thought he would be. I think he should get another chance.

Good point. However, whether or not we want him to have another chance doesn't mean a thing. He's done with Pittsburgh in all likelyhood. It's pretty much his call either way.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins