cp is done!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Cornfed on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Pitts wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Cornfed wrote:I hear Pat Quinn is available...

Run screaming in the other direction! He's the one that built that ungly, overaged, miserable Leaf's team.

Had more to do with the GM.

Pat Quinn WAS the GM until about 2 seasons ago. Ferguson has concentrated more on working in younger draftees. Quinn NEVER believed in young players. Antopov was the only one he ever gave a chance to. It was Quinn who brought in guys like Belfour, Tucker, Roberts...

See now I thought you meant this year with Lindros, O'Neill, Allison, etc.
Cornfed

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:10 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Run screaming in the other direction! He's the one that built that ungly, overaged, miserable Leaf's team.

Had more to do with the GM.

Pat Quinn WAS the GM until about 2 seasons ago. Ferguson has concentrated more on working in younger draftees. Quinn NEVER believed in young players. Antopov was the only one he ever gave a chance to. It was Quinn who brought in guys like Belfour, Tucker, Roberts...

See now I thought you meant this year with Lindros, O'Neill, Allison, etc.

Lindros was bound to end up in Toronto regardless of who was GM. O'Neil was a pretty decent pickup at the time. He's had personal demons which took down his game this year. Allison was truly a joke of a signing. He's been done for years. I wasn't saying Fergon didn't have his brain-farts, but Quinn was the major architect there. Also, don't forget, Toronto is worse than New york when it comes to pressure to sign old UFA's. Ownership, media and the fanbase all push for these signings.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:19 pm

Let the Tambellini era begin. :D

Seriously though, I hope the new GM is living in the "now" era of hockey.

I'm really excited about the future of this team. The country club is getting dismantled. First Therrien, now this.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:27 pm

Melrose is allowing the possibility that the new ownership could bring CP back...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=melrose_barry&id=2415407
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby Ginger on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Good grief! You said that as a joke right? I don't want the Penguins to turn into the Leafs...I hate them & Quinn! Image

As far as CP being officially gone, 'officially' is the pivotal word, 'cuz the CP we knew & respected has been gone for a few years now. This is a man who no-one could have found anything to criticize 10 years ago. His last 6 however, almost wiped out those earlier incomparable years.

Greg, his brother & I sat with him & Steve McKenna in Jay's sports bar at Southpointe one year & he was a very friendly, soft spoken man. I told him I thought he should be more forthcoming with the fans tho' & he said he never liked to tip his hand. I told him that the fans laid money across his palm & he should learn how to tip his hand a bit more. He was a good enough guy to laugh hard at that.

He has lost what made him a respected GM years back. Maybe that's just too long with the Pens, or maybe he's lost the ability to do a good job any longer. Whatever it is, I am happy he's moving on & I'm excited to see what can be done by someone else without any interference from Mario.

Just not Pat Quinn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:27 pm

well, almost gone. Today's official release only says his contract will not be renewed....
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1844.0.php

So this brings the question: Since CP's contract is through July 1... If they're going a different direction, wouldn't they simply fire him outright, since they're already paying through July 1 anyway? It would be strange seeing a lame-duck CP up there on draft weekend in June. I would think the Pens would have filled the position by draft day, and would want the new one up there at the podium for Kessel, Johnson, et al.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tom_servo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:36 pm

Patrick: Did you just call me a liar?
Mario: No, I said you're fired.
Patrick: Oh. That's much worse.
tom_servo

Postby jmh470 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:42 pm

relantel wrote:Melrose is allowing the possibility that the new ownership could bring CP back...

In other news, Barry Melrose has no idea what he's talking about.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:43 pm

jmh470 wrote:
relantel wrote:Melrose is allowing the possibility that the new ownership could bring CP back...

In other news, Barry Melrose has no idea what he's talking about.

Please, thats not news.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Kicksave wrote:This is bitter sweet for me.

I was hoping that he'd last 2 more years and then get canned.

Just about the time I graduate with my Sports Management degree. :twisted:

No offense...but the last thing the Pens need is someone else learning on the job. Good luck but I hope you aren't the Pens GM until you have experience! :D
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:40 pm

tom_servo wrote:Patrick: Did you just call me a liar?
Mario: No, I said you're fired.
Patrick: Oh. That's much worse.

Patrick: Is Sid's stuff out of the house yet?
Mario: No, he's staying next year too. Why?
Patrick: Just wonderin'.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:47 pm

I'd take the ghost of Baz Bastien right about now...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:17 pm

I just hope that the new GM is treated just as well by the fans when the organization ties his hands. Who in their right mind would come to this organization now with no arena, possible new ownership and financial hardship hanging over your head? Good luck to whomever that is, but I predict their stay to be less than two seasons.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:44 pm

Ron` wrote:I just hope that the new GM is treated just as well by the fans when the organization ties his hands. Who in their right mind would come to this organization now with no arena, possible new ownership and financial hardship hanging over your head? Good luck to whomever that is, but I predict their stay to be less than two seasons.

Um, right. The new ownership is going to have deeper pockets than the current one. How could they not? They're also going to have a new arena, either in Pittsburgh or someplace else. There's no gray area here; the new GM is walking into a situation with a ton of young talent, new wealthier ownership, and a new arena coming from somewhere. As long as the GM is not such a dick that he alienates the new owners right off the bat, the fact that the team is being sold should actually make the team a MORE attractive destination.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:55 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Patrick: Is Sid's stuff out of the house yet?
Mario: No, he's staying next year too. Why?
Patrick: Just wonderin'.

You just made my afternoon.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Um, right. The new ownership is going to have deeper pockets than the current one. How could they not? They're also going to have a new arena, either in Pittsburgh or someplace else. There's no gray area here; the new GM is walking into a situation with a ton of young talent, new wealthier ownership, and a new arena coming from somewhere. As long as the GM is not such a dick that he alienates the new owners right off the bat, the fact that the team is being sold should actually make the team a MORE attractive destination.[/quote]

I hope so too. But I think your being overly optimistic. The Pittsburgh market will only bear so much in revenue, only a deep pocketed owner can support such optimism.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:04 pm

So the new will be allowed to hire more staff than CP. Fine. Why was CP never allowed to hire more staff? Because he is so incompetent that he'd hired only complete morons is what some of you would say, I know.

Anyway, thanks and good luck CP and good luck to whoever will be the new GM.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cornfed on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:56 pm

So we're in agreement, Pat Quinn it is. :wink:
Cornfed

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:So the new will be allowed to hire more staff than CP. Fine. Why was CP never allowed to hire more staff? Because he is so incompetent that he'd hired only complete morons is what some of you would say, I know.

Anyway, thanks and good luck CP and good luck to whoever will be the new GM.

CP was allowed to hire the staff he wanted. He chose not to. I don't know the reasoning behind that philosophy. In talking with people at various practices, I heard from more than one person that Edzo wanted to get a replacement for Lorne Molleken but CP denied his request.

I will not bash CP today, though I believe this to be the right move. Instead, I say thank you for all of the great hockey memories he helped to provide me with.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BritishPenguin on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Good luck CP. He may have taken some stick, but remember some of the good stuff he's done.

I'd be interested to see who they've lined up to replace him.
BritishPenguin

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins