St. Louis wins!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

St. Louis wins!

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Not bad for us, really. Better than the 3rd slot...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:30 pm

Isn't this the first time in about 6 years that the team that finished worst overall won the lottery? Meh...whatever, Blues best pick Kessel.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffTZ on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:30 pm

So lets begin the debate then.. St. Louis takes?
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

saveourpens wrote:Isn't this the first time in about 6 years that the team that finished worst overall won the lottery? Meh...whatever, Blues best pick Kessel.

No - the Pens had the worst record during the last season played prior to winning the Crosby lottery. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

JeffTZ wrote:So lets begin the debate then.. St. Louis takes?

St. Louis will take Johnson, the organization is big on having a stud D-man, they need to replace Pronger....they thought Jackman could be that guy, but this year he was nothing close.

The pens will end up with Kessel or Staal
borohcky9

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

They need a strong 2-way center. If the rankings show Staal as being that good they will take him or trade down to #3 if the Hawks and Pens agree not to take him. We could probably trade up to #1 if we are to take Johnson if we agree to allow St Louis the option of swapping 1st round positions next year like Columbus and Florida did a few years ago.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:33 pm

netwolf wrote:
saveourpens wrote:Isn't this the first time in about 6 years that the team that finished worst overall won the lottery? Meh...whatever, Blues best pick Kessel.

No - the Pens had the worst record during the last season played prior to winning the Crosby lottery. :lol:

that was a nonstandard lottery though ;)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

borohcky9 wrote:
JeffTZ wrote:So lets begin the debate then.. St. Louis takes?

St. Louis will take Johnson, the organization is big on having a stud D-man, they need to replace Pronger....they thought Jackman could be that guy, but this year he was nothing close.

The pens will end up with Kessel or Staal

They will also have Eric Brewer coming back next season. Looking at their younger players, they're probably deeper on defense than forward, but that doesn't really matter if they're picking that high.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 pm

DelPen wrote:They need a strong 2-way center. If the rankings show Staal as being that good they will take him or trade down to #3 if the Hawks and Pens agree not to take him. We could probably trade up to #1 if we are to take Johnson if we agree to allow St Louis the option of swapping 1st round positions next year like Columbus and Florida did a few years ago.

Unless we force Crosy to play wing, and with Malkin in the fold, I don't see why we need another center with this pick.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 pm

i'm happy with the result. I hope they stay in 2nd and take staal or trade down some and still be able to get kessel or staal.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:38 pm

saveourpens wrote:
DelPen wrote:They need a strong 2-way center. If the rankings show Staal as being that good they will take him or trade down to #3 if the Hawks and Pens agree not to take him. We could probably trade up to #1 if we are to take Johnson if we agree to allow St Louis the option of swapping 1st round positions next year like Columbus and Florida did a few years ago.

Unless we force Crosy to play wing, and with Malkin in the fold, I don't see why we need another center with this pick.

Where did I say the Pens would take a center? "They" is in reference to the Blues. The Pens will get either Johnson or Kessel.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Unless we force Crosy to play wing

There is no way I'd move Crosby out of the center spot. Edzo did this early on and wasn't just criticized for it...he was ridiculed.

If anyone moves over to the wing, my guess is that it'll be Malkin.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Unless we force Crosy to play wing

There is no way I'd move Crosby out of the center spot. Edzo did this early on and wasn't just criticized for it...he was ridiculed.

If anyone moves over to the wing, my guess is that it'll be Malkin.

Nobody is moving to the wing. We don't need a center, we are going to trade up to #1 because the Blues want Staal and we will take Johnson. My sources told me all of this :wink:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saveourpens on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 pm

DelPen wrote:
saveourpens wrote:

Where did I say the Pens would take a center? "They" is in reference to the Blues. The Pens will get either Johnson or Kessel.

Sorry man, misread your post. Either way we hopefully get the next Stevens or a much needed finishing left wing for Sid.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mojination on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 pm

DelPen wrote:Nobody is moving to the wing. We don't need a center, we are going to trade up to #1 because the Blues want Staal and we will take Johnson. My sources told me all of this :wink:

If that scenario is correct why would the Pens trade up. They have the number two pick. Blues get their guy then we get Johnson. :roll:
mojination

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm

mojination wrote:
DelPen wrote:Nobody is moving to the wing. We don't need a center, we are going to trade up to #1 because the Blues want Staal and we will take Johnson. My sources told me all of this :wink:

If that scenario is correct why would the Pens trade up. They have the number two pick. Blues get their guy then we get Johnson. :roll:

Because the bottom 3 teams will jockey for position just to make sure the player they want will be there. It happened in 2002 and 2003.

The Blues could, at the last minute, trade the #1 to Chicago, the Hawks take Johnson, we then could take Staal to piss the Blues off or because we have him pegged as #2 after Johnson. It would make more sens for us to move up and get the player we want if the price is low.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby elij21 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 pm

St.Louis are going to pick Johnson, no brainer and pistburgh will pick Toews because not stall or Kessel. We don't need a other center, we got crosby and malkin. Telling you there are going to pick Toews ...
elij21

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:02 pm

elij21 wrote:St.Louis are going to pick Johnson, no brainer and pistburgh will pick Toews because not stall or Kessel. We don't need a other center, we got crosby and malkin. Telling you there are going to pick Toews ...

If they don't need another center why would they take Toews and not Kessel who plays more wing than center?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:54 pm

We can't complain about the draft the past few years. What? a top 3 pick the past 3-4 years you can't complain there.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cs6687 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Blues finished last in scoring in the NHL, or at least near the very bottom. For that reason, I believe they take Kessel, and Pens will get Johnson.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:39 pm

DelPen wrote:
elij21 wrote:St.Louis are going to pick Johnson, no brainer and pistburgh will pick Toews because not stall or Kessel. We don't need a other center, we got crosby and malkin. Telling you there are going to pick Toews ...

If they don't need another center why would they take Toews and not Kessel who plays more wing than center?

Because apparently in Bizarro World if somebody plays center than really means they play wing. It's like saying "hello" when you mean "goodbye."

Try it for yourself: "Pistburgh really needs some more centers so that they can lose lots of games next year and miss the playoffs for a change."
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:54 am

DOes Robert Dome have a brother? Maybe CP and gange will do one last bad pick before they leave...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins