Kessel all the way....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kessel all the way....

Postby Mountaineer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Assuming the Blues take Johnson, the Pens absolutely must take Kessel. We need a goal scoring winger to play with either Sid or Malkin, and Kessel fits the bill better than anyone else in the draft.

Also, don't forget that, before the draft last year, a few GM's were saying that they would have taken Kessel over Crosby if the two had been in the same draft. I still remember watching Kessel dominate in the World Championships a couple years ago, much like Crosby and Ovechkin did.

To me, it's a no-brainer.....You don't pass up a chance at a pure goal-scorer, and especially when you have a player in Crosby who may just be the best passer in the game already, and no doubt will be in the next two or three years.
Mountaineer

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

Why wouldn't St. Louis take Kessell? Are they in need of a big D and are "going" to take Johnson?

I have a funny feeling that Kessell is going to St. Louis.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 pm

Reilly

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:37 pm

Then, it's a no lose situation for us still, as the Pens would be stoooopid to pass on Johnson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mountaineer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm

Either way, the Pens are set. The decision will be made for them. I just think the Blues are more likely to take Johnson because you build your team around goaltending and defense first, and then add offense. That said, if they were to take Kessel, Johson would be awesome as well.
Mountaineer

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm

Pitts wrote:Then, it's a no lose situation for us still, as the Pens would be stoooopid to pass on Johnson.

If Kessel goes #1, then yes, the Pens take Johnson.
Reilly

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Reilly wrote:
Pitts wrote:Then, it's a no lose situation for us still, as the Pens would be stoooopid to pass on Johnson.

By not winning the lottery, the Pen's choice should be a simple, no-brainer.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:43 pm

Pitts wrote:
Reilly wrote:

By not winning the lottery, the Pen's choice should be a simple, no-brainer.

Correct. That's the beauty of it. The less this organization has to think, the better.
Reilly

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 pm

If we didn't have Malkin and Crosby I'd lean towards Staal. He very well may be the best all around player in the draft but we don't need all around good players. We are in dire need of a finisher and that's Kessel. And Johnson fills so many needs on defense it isn't even funny. I'd rank Johnson #1 and Kessel #2 for what the Pens need now and will need 2-3 years down the road still. I still think the Blues will either trade down with us or Chicago because they want Staal. Now it could be like COlumbus and Florida swapping in 2002 where Atlanta was going to take Lehtonen at #2 no matter what and in 2004 when we swapped with Florida because Carolina was taking Staal no matter what. If you see the Hawks and Blues make a trade it is because we are taking Kessel.

Anyone else also think Kessel could play in the NHL next year? He'll be 19 on October 2 and is a very old player for this draft much like Ovechkin was in his draft year. Kessel could also go to WBS, I think, since he would be 19 before that season started, so having him come into Pittsburgh for camp and if he flounders having the option to go to WBS would be great.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:04 pm

DelPen wrote:Anyone else also think Kessel could play in the NHL next year?

If he makes the team (which shouldn't be hard), then yes. I woulnd't be upset if he decided to stay in college another year though. He has a whole career in front of him, college only comes around once in your life. (well for some people anyway :wink: )
Reilly

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:06 pm

DelPen wrote:Anyone else also think Kessel could play in the NHL next year? He'll be 19 on October 2 and is a very old player for this draft much like Ovechkin was in his draft year. Kessel could also go to WBS, I think, since he would be 19 before that season started, so having him come into Pittsburgh for camp and if he flounders having the option to go to WBS would be great.

I said earlier that I think Kessel is the best bet in this draft to be able to play next season. I think this would be even moreso if he were to play wing with someone like Crosby. In fact, if he couldn't make this current Pen's team...we might not want him!! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:08 pm

DelPen wrote:If we didn't have Malkin and Crosby I'd lean towards Staal. He very well may be the best all around player in the draft but we don't need all around good players. We are in dire need of a finisher and that's Kessel. And Johnson fills so many needs on defense it isn't even funny. I'd rank Johnson #1 and Kessel #2 for what the Pens need now and will need 2-3 years down the road still. I still think the Blues will either trade down with us or Chicago because they want Staal. Now it could be like COlumbus and Florida swapping in 2002 where Atlanta was going to take Lehtonen at #2 no matter what and in 2004 when we swapped with Florida because Carolina was taking Staal no matter what. If you see the Hawks and Blues make a trade it is because we are taking Kessel.

Anyone else also think Kessel could play in the NHL next year? He'll be 19 on October 2 and is a very old player for this draft much like Ovechkin was in his draft year. Kessel could also go to WBS, I think, since he would be 19 before that season started, so having him come into Pittsburgh for camp and if he flounders having the option to go to WBS would be great.

Del, I think the last thing we want is Chicago trading for the 1st overall. The last thing they need is defense. They have many young highly-touted d-men. They definitely go forward, IMHO.
St. Louis needs help everywhere. Current roster has Tkachuk and bunch of journeymen/3rd-4th liners at forward. They are tossup b/t forward and d right now. Could go either way
BTW, that Kessel jersey looks sweeet.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:09 pm

I see it being Kessel. St. Louis will take Johnson because he's as close to a consensus first pick as you're going to find here. Kessel is a bigger question mark. People have said that St. Louis doesn't need Johnson because they've got guys like Jackman and Brewer, but by the time Johnson is ready to play in the NHL, those guys might not even be there.

If Johnson is available, the Pens must take him, but he's probably not going to be out there. In that case, I like Kessel. He seems like somewhat of a risk, but I like what he can bring to an NHL team. It's something the Pens need. If he wants to play in the NHL next season, that'd be great. I'm positive he could produce right away playing with either Crosby or Malkin.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Reilly wrote:Image

That just made me vomit in my mouth.

Please, Please, take Kessel St. Louis. PLEASE.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm

everyone seems set that kessel is going to be a sniper at the wing, do any of you realize he's a centermen? are you going to switch him up or what?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Jesse wrote:That just made me vomit in my mouth.

I hate when you have to swallow it back down! Burns quite a bit, for quite a while.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cire7 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:36 pm

I can see the Blues taking Kessel because with their new ownership group coming in & the fact that it will be easier for him to play in the NHL next year. Plus Offense kind of sells tickets, not to mention they have no offense what so ever on that team & with the rule changes this year to improve scoring I see them taking Kessel.
Cire7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:37 pm

dman66 wrote:everyone seems set that kessel is going to be a sniper at the wing, do any of you realize he's a centermen? are you going to switch him up or what?

Towes, Staal and Backstrom are also centers. The thing with Kessel is that he has speed and the shot to be a very effective winger in the NHL. As great as Armstrong, Hilbert, Ouellet etc...are, they don't have the dynamic offense that the team needs. Crosby and Malkin need good players to play with.
Reilly

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Cire7 wrote:I can see the Blues taking Kessel because with their new ownership group coming in & the fact that it will be easier for him to play in the NHL next year. Plus Offense kind of sells tickets, not to mention they have no offense what so ever on that team & with the rule changes this year to improve scoring I see them taking Kessel.

The Blues will take the player they feel is the best in the draft. If they feel Johnson is the guy, they'll take him. They'll sell tickets once they start winning, besides, they need to replace Chris Pronger.
Reilly

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 pm

Kessel is definitely the most intruiging pick. To say the least, he is an explosive talent.

Toews is also a guy I am taking a liking to. He finished the year very strongly. I'm not sure I'd take him over Kessel, but, he certainly is a guy whose stock is rising.

An interesting option to consider might be seeing if Chicago really wants to move up. Apparently Mark Bell is on the outs there, and is an RFA right now. He's a guy who we can afford to take on and play with a talented center, which might bring out some consistency in his game which is his biggest problem. If Chicago would package him with the third pick to move up, I think it might be worth looking at.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Cire7 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Yeah but they have Eric Brewer who was hurt most of the season & Jackman on D who are both still young players but they dont have any forwards.
Cire7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:50 pm

I'm pretty sure Brewer is a UFA.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:51 pm

Cire7 wrote:Yeah but they have Eric Brewer who was hurt most of the season & Jackman on D who are both still young players but they dont have any forwards.

You must have not see T.J. Oshie play. :roll:
Reilly

Postby Cire7 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 pm

I seen him play @ WJC & he was USA's best forward in my opinion he played hard, but I see him as more of a great 2nd line player not a 1st liner.
Cire7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:59 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:Kessel is definitely the most intruiging pick. To say the least, he is an explosive talent.

Toews is also a guy I am taking a liking to. He finished the year very strongly. I'm not sure I'd take him over Kessel, but, he certainly is a guy whose stock is rising.

An interesting option to consider might be seeing if Chicago really wants to move up. Apparently Mark Bell is on the outs there, and is an RFA right now. He's a guy who we can afford to take on and play with a talented center, which might bring out some consistency in his game which is his biggest problem. If Chicago would package him with the third pick to move up, I think it might be worth looking at.

Toews is getting more attention now because he's showing that he's the more complete player. He's a great finisher, and he's defensivley ahead of most forwards his age. His transition game is great, and he's solid on his skates.

If the Penguins are looking for someone that can play with Malkin, look no further than Toews. He can set up and finish, and he's getting better.

ISS has him at two, as does a few other places. It's probably a longshot, but if Chicago really wanted Kessel, and if he's there on draft day at two, I'd move down, get Bell or another young player, and then draft Toews.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins