Kessel all the way....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:02 pm

wow, where did all this love for Mark Bell come from? He's sucked since day one in Chicago. The Pens already have Ryan Malone anyway.
Last edited by Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reilly

Postby jmh470 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:43 pm

With Oshie in the Blues' system I don't think they will take Kessel (though I certainly hope they do).
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:08 pm

jmh470 wrote:With Oshie in the Blues' system I don't think they will take Kessel (though I certainly hope they do).

For the Blues it's either Johnson or Staal. They need the big two-way guy which we already have in Malkin.

They either take Johnon at #1 or trade down and grab Staal at #2 if we really want Johnson or at #3 after we assure them we are taking Kessel at #2 and Chiacgo really wants Johnson.

Eric Johnson goes #1 though but to which team I don't know.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:11 pm

Jesse wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:Kessel is definitely the most intruiging pick. To say the least, he is an explosive talent.

Toews is also a guy I am taking a liking to. He finished the year very strongly. I'm not sure I'd take him over Kessel, but, he certainly is a guy whose stock is rising.

An interesting option to consider might be seeing if Chicago really wants to move up. Apparently Mark Bell is on the outs there, and is an RFA right now. He's a guy who we can afford to take on and play with a talented center, which might bring out some consistency in his game which is his biggest problem. If Chicago would package him with the third pick to move up, I think it might be worth looking at.

Toews is getting more attention now because he's showing that he's the more complete player. He's a great finisher, and he's defensivley ahead of most forwards his age. His transition game is great, and he's solid on his skates.

If the Penguins are looking for someone that can play with Malkin, look no further than Toews. He can set up and finish, and he's getting better.

ISS has him at two, as does a few other places. It's probably a longshot, but if Chicago really wanted Kessel, and if he's there on draft day at two, I'd move down, get Bell or another young player, and then draft Toews.

If Chicago is dumb enough to want to part ways with Mark Bell, then the Pens should line up to take advantage of it. Put him on Crosby's LW, make sure he knows he is on that line for more than just scoring, and he COULD develop into Tocchet-lite.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby elij21 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:14 pm

I desagree about Kessel, he's wants his own team not be part of sidney crosby team. Toews is the answer because he can do it all. Besides i head Crosby and Kessel don't like each other. I think theres a post , check it out
elij21

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:19 pm

elij21 wrote:I desagree about Kessel, he's wants his own team not be part of sidney crosby team. Toews is the answer because he can do it all. Besides i head Crosby and Kessel don't like each other. I think theres a post , check it out

You're right, because Kessel's crazy mom talked trash to the other teams best player, Crosby, when they were both in High School means Kessel can't be a professional 4 years later. :roll:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:20 pm

elij21 wrote:I desagree about Kessel, he's wants his own team not be part of sidney crosby team. Toews is the answer because he can do it all. Besides i head Crosby and Kessel don't like each other. I think theres a post , check it out

Nothing that says Crosby doesn't like Kessel. Just about Kessel's mom. I've never found anything that says they don't get along......
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:28 pm

elij21 wrote:I desagree about Kessel, he's wants his own team not be part of sidney crosby team.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Reilly

Postby pfim on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:43 pm

DelPen wrote:

You're right, because Kessel's crazy mom talked trash to the other teams best player, Crosby, when they were both in High School means Kessel can't be a professional 4 years later. :roll:

Delpen, you know somewhere down the road, someone is going to say something the other guy doesn't want to hear, or Molinari does more interviews with Crosby than Kessel, and Kessel will take his puck and go home. It's inevitable.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Kessel all the way....

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:44 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Also, don't forget that, before the draft last year, a few GM's were saying that they would have taken Kessel over Crosby if the two had been in the same draft.

This is a great qualifying statement. I actually hope you get your wish and curse the day we took him.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Kessel all the way....

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Ron` wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Also, don't forget that, before the draft last year, a few GM's were saying that they would have taken Kessel over Crosby if the two had been in the same draft.

This is a great qualifying statement. I actually hope you get your wish and curse the day we took him.

Anybody want to parse this for me?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:50 pm

That was a ridiculous thing for anyone to say, let alone start their argument for picking Kessel by attributing to some GMs etc. Mark my words this draft is not strong at the top and Kessel is no sure thing.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Ron` wrote:That was a ridiculous thing for anyone to say, let alone start their argument for picking Kessel by attributing to some GMs etc. Mark my words this draft is not strong at the top and Kessel is no sure thing.

So "him" above meant Kessel? That's all I wanted to know.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Of all the questions about Kessel, the one that is a sure thing is his ability to shoot the puck. The kid is a sniper, and that's really what we need. While Johnson will be great if we can get him, and will eliminate the need to find a high priced defenseman this off season, Kessel on a line with Crosby or even Malkin will score a TON of gimme goals. Think Thornton and Cheechoo. Cheechoo is average without him, scoring 25 goals a season maybe, but he know how to put the puck away. That's how I see Kessel, that kind of player. I would really like to see him with the Pens.

Oh, another question. When would Kessel and Johnson play in the NHL? Next season?
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Wondermoose, unlike recent drafts it is more likely that none of the top picks in this draft will play in the NHL next year. Thats why the great debate on the top 4.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Argleblargle.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:15 pm

I think there is an outside chance of Kessel coming to the NHL next year, but its unlikely. Same with Goligoski.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:39 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I think there is an outside chance of Kessel coming to the NHL next year, but its unlikely. Same with Goligoski.

Johnson isn't even in college yet, he will not be in the NHL next year. It also takes defenseman longer to develop.

Kessel could make it on a team that is desperate for scoring. If we end up drafting him he could make the team next year. He will have one job and that is to get open and not fan on shots. That's it. Nothing else. He'll also be 19 before the season starts and since he is in the NCAA he can be sent to the AHL next year.

If Kessel wants to try and play in the NHL next year he will. And you could probably lump Toews in there as well since he too is in the NCAA.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Here are the video clips from Greg Malone that was on FSN.

Phil Kessel

Erik Johnson

Jonathan Toews

Jordan Staal
Reilly

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Reilly wrote:Here are the video clips from Greg Malone that was on FSN.

Phil Kessel

Erik Johnson

Jonathan Toews

Jordan Staal

Thanks, those were great. Did anyone notice the Russians kept trying the same move on Johnson and he beat them down each time? I thought it was the same replay over and over until I noticed the numbers on the Russians kept changing.

But after seeing these clips my desire for us to draft Kessel has increased. The kid loves to score goals. He looks like he would do anytyhing to get into a good scoring position. Kind of reminds me of how Brian Gionta plays except quicker hands.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:14 pm

Lange and Errey are on SportsBeat now. Errey thinks St. Louis will take Johnson and the Pens will take Staal. Lange didn't mention anyone by name but thinks the biggest need is a goal scoring power forward.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:26 pm

netwolf wrote:Lange and Errey are on SportsBeat now. Errey thinks St. Louis will take Johnson and the Pens will take Staal. Lange didn't mention anyone by name but thinks the biggest need is a goal scoring power forward.

If they didn't have Malkin, then I could see Staal as a strong possibility. Staal seems to me like a pass first, shoot later kinda guy and the Pens do not need that. I'll even say that if his last name wasn't Staal and Eric wasn't having a MVP year that he wouldn't be as acclaimed as he is right now.
Last edited by Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reilly

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:28 pm

Reilly wrote:
netwolf wrote:Lange and Errey are on SportsBeat now. Errey thinks St. Louis will take Johnson and the Pens will take Staal. Lange didn't mention anyone by name but thinks the biggest need is a goal scoring power forward.

If they didn't have Malkin, then I could see Staal as a strong possibility.

100% agree. Staal would be the perfect compliment to Crosby expect for that whole "having the best player outside the NHL already drafted" thing we have going right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Reilly wrote:
elij21 wrote:I desagree about Kessel, he's wants his own team not be part of sidney crosby team.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:28 pm

Reilly wrote:Here are the video clips from Greg Malone that was on FSN.

Phil Kessel

Erik Johnson

Jonathan Toews

Jordan Staal

Cool videos, thanks for sharing them. Am I looking too far into things, or does it seem like Greg Malone seemed highest on Staal?

I dont know, I think I still pick Kessel, but anyone we get will be a really good hockey player.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins