Would Kessel and Crosby get along?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Would Kessel and Crosby get along?

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Remember the ESPN the magazine w/ Sidney on the cover? There was a story about a mother of a "future NHL star" that heckled Crosby from the glass? He did say which one. However, I had read somewhere that claimed it was Kessel's mom. I was right....

Here is an article on HF with an interview with Jack Johnson, Crosby's buddy from Shattuck-St. Mary's where he said it was Kessel's mother.

http://www.detroitsportsrag.com/article ... 80905.html

Spiro: Your friendship with 1 st overall pick Sidney Crosby has been well-documented since your days as teammates at Shattuck St. Mary's. What was it like to play with him, and will he live up to his expectations in Pittsburgh?

"Johnson: Sid is the best player that I have ever played with or against. We hit it off right away during our first year at Shattuck. The whole chemistry of the team was so great; it was just like an immediate click.

One of my favorite Sid stories is the time that Phil Kessel's mom went right down to the glass and started heckling him before a face-off in the opponents' zone. She was calling Sid every nasty name in the book and telling him that he was overrated. Typically, Sid would win the face-off and set me up for a slap shot near the blueline. Not this time. Sid went up to me and said that he was going to win the face-off and take the puck himself and score. I just nodded my head.

Sure enough, the puck drops and Sid grabs possession. Within 2 seconds, the red light goes off and all Sid does is tip his hat to Mrs. Kessel. Just a classic Sid Crosby moment."

You gotta wonder if Crosby would get along with Kessel or would his parents realize that Crosby could make their son very rich someday playing on his line?

It was awhile ago, but you never know who could hold grudges....
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:53 pm

:roll:
Reilly

Postby jmh470 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Kessel himself is supposed to be an OK guy. It's Kessel's mom who is the psycho.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:56 pm

I think they would, but I've also heard this story about Kessel's mom. Apparently, she's nuts. People are saying that Kessel has an attitude problem, but I've never seen any indication of that. I'm not buying it.

It's funny that Crosby was like "I'm going to win it to myself and score." That just shows how good he really is.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:07 pm

I think that story explains why he seems to play very well against Philly. He really wants to prove people wrong and shut them up.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Both USA Today (Kyle Woodleif and Ted Montgomery) and the Canadian media circulated some reports during this past year's WJC that there were some serious rifts within the US team. I heard a lot of them were actually the product of the parents of kids bickering back and forth. From what some of these reports said, the infighting between some of the kids and some of the parents bordered on comical.

I don't recall Kessel being involved in any of them, but I have heard that he and Jack Skille didn't really get along, but that's to be expected. Skille plays for Univ. of Wisconsin and Kessel, a Wisconsin native, spurned the Badgers to play at a more wide-open system at Minnesota.

Truthfully, I've never heard any questions about Kessel's character.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Hah...Mark Madden's reading off this post on his show right now...
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Once they started racking up points they would become friendly real quick.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Stoosh wrote:Hah...Mark Madden's reading off this post on his show right now...

Wouldn't be the first time........
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:17 pm

Stoosh wrote:Truthfully, I've never heard any questions about Kessel's character.

Kevin Allen says he's quiet and reserved.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/j ... ocus_x.htm
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:17 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Once they started racking up points they would become friendly real quick.

Exactly......once his parents realize that he could easily score 50 goals riding shotgun with Sidney they'll quickly change their tune...
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:21 pm

mnpensfan wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Once they started racking up points they would become friendly real quick.

Exactly......once his parents realize that he could easily score 50 goals riding shotgun with Sidney they'll quickly change their tune...

Ya really, I bet you Kessel is home right now thinking.... "oh snap, if I get drafted by Pittsburgh I'll be playing with Crosby"....

You might even hear him say something to that extent in a interview before he gets drafted - how it would be nice to play with Crosby blah blah...
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:32 pm

Stoosh wrote:I don't recall Kessel being involved in any of them, but I have heard that he and Jack Skille didn't really get along, but that's to be expected. Skille plays for Univ. of Wisconsin and Kessel, a Wisconsin native, spurned the Badgers to play at a more wide-open system at Minnesota.

Sean (Minneapolis, MN): Phil...great to have you a member of Pride on Ice!! Saw you a few weeks ago when you played against the Gophers...is there anything to the rumors regarding an intense rivalry with Wisconsin recruit Jack Skille?

Phil Kessel: There is nothing to those rumor. We've played together for the last two years and we're doing fine. That played no factor in my decision whatsoever.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7471
Reilly

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:34 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
mnpensfan wrote:

Ya really, I bet you Kessel is home right now thinking.... "oh snap, if I get drafted by Pittsburgh I'll be playing with Crosby"....

You might even hear him say something to that extent in a interview before he gets drafted - how it would be nice to play with Crosby blah blah...

Well.....Goligoski was already pushing for the Pens to take Kessel. I still wonder if he is going to stay at Minnesota for another year. Potulny and Irmen left early meaning more minutes for him and Wheeler if they both stay.....
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bowser on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Kessel's parents will persuade him to leave college, so they can get their payday.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Bowser wrote:Kessel's parents will persuade him to leave college, so they can get their payday.

And if the team that drafts him wants to go that route then he should leave. NCAA and Euros can play in the AHL when they are still 19, right?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:42 pm

DelPen wrote:
Bowser wrote:Kessel's parents will persuade him to leave college, so they can get their payday.

And if the team that drafts him wants to go that route then he should leave. NCAA and Euros can play in the AHL when they are still 19, right?

He's not going to leave college to play in the AHL. :roll:
Reilly

Postby Bowser on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:42 pm

I think the top 2 players are Kessel and Johnson. Pens will get a solid player with the second pick or they could trade it for some instant production.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:45 pm

Reilly wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Did I say that? No. If he comes to the NHL and does not produce he has to realize that he could be sent to the AHL. No rookie can dictate that they stay in the NHL no matter what.

CHL junior players can't play in the AHL until they are 20 in order to keep the CHL a functioning league. I just wanted to make sure that NCAA guys can still go to the AHL after they are drafted because if I draft a kid out of college I would never sign him unitl I had the choice to send him to the AHL.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tom_servo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:46 pm

I would hope they get along. Otherwise, Crosby is out the door.

I'm kidding, stupid.
tom_servo

Postby Admin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:48 pm

tom_servo wrote:I would hope they get along. Otherwise, Crosby is out the door.

Amish humor is spreading. :P
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:53 pm

DelPen wrote:
Reilly wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Did I say that? No. If he comes to the NHL and does not produce he has to realize that he could be sent to the AHL. No rookie can dictate that they stay in the NHL no matter what.

Yes, but there is no way, no how, that Kessel will be worse than most of the garbage on the Pens current roster. If he comes to training camp, they're be a spot on the team and probably on the first line. If he plays with Crosby, he won't be able to NOT score. The only reason Kessel (assuming they draft him) doesn't play in the NHL next season is if he wants to play in college for another year or two.
Reilly

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:11 pm

Are his parents on the Lindros level, or are they getting an unfair rap? If they are that bad, is he good enough of a play to make the potential headache of dealing with them worth it?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:13 pm

netwolf wrote:

Are his parents on the Lindros level, or are they getting an unfair rap? If they are that bad, is he good enough of a play to make the potential headache of dealing with them worth it?

The only thing anyone knows about Kessels parents is the ONE story about Kessel's mom.
Reilly

Postby Paulie_Walnutz on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 am

netwolf wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Someone wrote up above that Kessel is ok. It's his mom that's crazy. Well, looking back 14 years, wouldn't all of us say the same thing about Lindros.

I know this is only one account of any type of bitterness between Kessel and Crosby. If it's just a case of the mother being a fan, I wouldn't think there will be a problem. But if she is going to be opening her pie-hole every time Crosby doesn't pass the puck to her baby boy, I'd take Staal.
Heck, I'm hoping the Blues take Kessel so Johnson will be there. I heard on the news, I think it was channel 2 tonight, that Johnson is ready to play at the NHL level right now. Not sure Kessel would be ready right now.
Paulie_Walnutz

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins